Sunni & Shia - Can you tell the difference?

MobBoss said:
And it shouldnt. Trying to do that is a losers game. Its useless to try and defeat terrorist groups unless you also go after the nation states that support them.

* Points and laughs

AQ doesn't get ANY support from Shia. They regard Shia just as infidel as everybody else who isn't Sunni.

MobBoss said:
The only way the world defeats terrorism is by holding the nation states that support it responsible. Once nation X realizes that it faces military action for funding terrorist group B in its activities then we start making progress.

So, the US should be made accountable for supporting Israel? Or the private US citizens should be held accountable for past support of NorAid?

Not what I believe, but the logic cuts both ways, Sherlock.

What I DO believe is that a pogo stick is a very inefficient way of walking through a minefield.

CruddyLeper said:
* Points and laughs

AQ doesn't get ANY support from Shia. They regard Shia just as infidel as everybody else who isn't Sunni.

And? You missed the point entirely. I never said AQ gets any support from the Shia, but I did say its not enough to only go after the terrorist groups themselves. We must go after the nation states that support them as well and hold them equally responsible.

So, the US should be made accountable for supporting Israel? Or the private US citizens should be held accountable for past support of NorAid?

Israel isnt a terrorist state.

Not what I believe, but the logic cuts both ways, Sherlock.

Names not Sherlock either.

What I DO believe is that a pogo stick is a very inefficient way of walking through a minefield.

/wow....but apparently you didnt think this saying through. What is the most efficient way of walking through a minefield? Why after all the mines have been detonated of course. Pretty messy if you ask me.:rolleyes:

MobBoss said:
And? You missed the point entirely. I never said AQ gets any support from the Shia, but I did say its not enough to only go after the terrorist groups themselves. We must go after the nation states that support them as well and hold them equally responsible.

So, which terrorist groups was Iraq supporting then?

(And don't you just hate it when people switch the goalposts. :mischief: )

MobBoss said:
Israel isnt a terrorist state.

I agree... but a lot of people don't. Israel's actions are certainly very iffy in terms of international law (like, continued settlement of the West Bank, depriving Palestinians of water for all but 2 hours per day, execution without trial of terrorist suspects etc etc).

MobBoss said:
Names not Sherlock either.

That is a lemon tree, Dr Watson. ;)

MobBoss said:
/wow....but apparently you didnt think this saying through. What is the most efficient way of walking through a minefield? Why after all the mines have been detonated of course. Pretty messy if you ask me.:rolleyes:

Tis a metaphor. Apparently US admin thinks it doesn't matter which Muslims get landed on for terrorist actions, just so long as some get found out.

Do you understand the metaphor now?

As a former Shiite growing up in Sunni land I can tell them apart a mile away.

I agree... but a lot of people don't. Israel's actions are certainly very iffy in terms of international law (like, continued settlement of the West Bank, depriving Palestinians of water for all but 2 hours per day, execution without trial of terrorist suspects etc etc).

Oh and don't forget... terrorism.

MobBoss said:
/meh...go ask Amahdinawhackjob from Iran if he knows the difference between mormons and baptists. I bet you get the 1000 yard stare.

I think a more fair comparisan would be to ask if he knew the difference between Catholics and Protestants (those being the two major sects of christianity, just as Sunni and Shia are the two major ones of islam)

And I think he'd probably be able to tell the difference between the pope and archbisop of canteburry.

Back on topic: how can we possibly hope to win the war on terror if we don't understand even the basics of our supposed enemies? Lumping all muslims together is a sure-fire way to galvanize them against us.

CruddyLeper said:
So, which terrorist groups was Iraq supporting then?

(And don't you just hate it when people switch the goalposts. :mischief: )

Take your pick of any of the palistinian groups (PLO, Fatah, Hamas). Saddam himself was cutting checks to any palistinians family that died in a suicide bombing attempt.

Do you understand the metaphor now?

Sure, I got one for you as well. Comes via Teddy Roosevelt. If you blow the dogcrap out of one of your enemies good enough, the rest will take notice and really take a look at that big stick you are carrying. I for one, directly think our actions in Afghanistan and Iraq is what led to Libya coming clean and changing the way they do business.

I'm astounded.

So these guys really want to end war on terror, by winning that is.

MobBoss said:
The only way the world defeats terrorism is by holding the nation states that support it responsible. Once nation X realizes that it faces military action for funding terrorist group B in its activities then we start making progress.
And you call it losers game the other way around?

Houston, we have a problem.

Certain people will bomb and cause collateral damage, and the other side does the same. Then repeat it.
Now I finally understand why this war of terror will last forever.
Since people don't even know who the enemy is.
You might as well go to forest and start shooting squirrels.

MobBoss said:
Take your pick of any of the palistinian groups (PLO, Fatah, Hamas). Saddam himself was cutting checks to any palistinians family that died in a suicide bombing attempt.
That sounds like Israel's problem. But, if we can't tell the difference between a Shia and a Sunni, how should we be expected to know the difference between a threat to Israel and a threat to the United States?

Terry Everett-vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence said:
"Now that you've explained it to me," he replied, "what occurs to me is that it makes what we're doing over there extremely difficult, not only in Iraq but that whole area."

Whats that noise I hear? Is it the cogs turning or the penny dropping.

No poop sherlock.

C~G said:
I'm astounded.

So these guys really want to end war on terror, by winning that is.

Well, call me silly, but I see ending the war by winning it far more preferable than ending the war by losing it.

Now I finally understand why this war of terror will last forever.
Since people don't even know who the enemy is.
You might as well go to forest and start shooting squirrels.

Wars can last a long time...but forever? Nope. Its gutcheck time and I see the status of some peoples gut is fairly lacking.

MobBoss said:
Well, call me silly, but I see ending the war by winning it far more preferable than ending the war by losing i
Sorry, forgot the question mark. But should have been obvious anyhow.

Are you serious that people who are responsible for administrating the war on terror don't need to know these things?

Why do you think Iraq is complete mess?
Or is your answer that it isn't a mess?
This is exactly the reason why the war can last forever and terrorism just gets worse if your attitude is that "we don't need to know anything, just blow those apart that are against us".

I'm sorry to say but it won't mean a thing for your enemy. They just enlist people who have become desperate because of your irresponsbile actions. So that way it can last forever, unless you are ready to submit all the people in the world. Good luck with that.
MobBoss said:
Wars can last a long time...but forever? Nope. Its gutcheck time and I see the status of some peoples gut is fairly lacking.
Is 100 years enough?

Personally I don't want to even call it war since it should be more of police operation or it should change into such where intelligence plays key role.

What on earth "gutcheck" has to do with the issue if you don't know your enemy? Or are you claiming that all muslims are the enemy? Since with that attitude you can see how couple of drops of terrorist will turn into sea of terrorist and then it's really the gutcheck time.

Then again I guess it doesn't affect you too much since the folks dying because of this war are muslims themselves (even though might be as innocent to crime of terrorism as your neighbours) on the other side of the world.

That figures.

Is there any evidence that it is important to know whether an belligerant is an Sunni or a Shiite?

Are all perpetrators Sunni's?-i highly think not.

Can in fact that a Sunni can pretend to be a Shiite or a Shiite pretending to be a Sunni?

How can we know which is which?

Is there other sect in Islam beside Sunni and Shiites?Absolutely.

Is there sects within the Sunni's sect?-Yes.

Is there sects within the Shiite's?-Yes.

What is a radical anti-American and Collition guerilla Shiite?

What is a radical anti-American and Collition guerilla Sunni?

These questions are relatively important question,what the journalist forget to ask himself,that it is not necessarily important in most case on whether a guerilla fighter or a terrorist operative is a Sunni or a Shiite,but how can we tell the difference of what is a guerilla or terrorist operative from a civilian.

MobBoss said:
/meh...go ask Amahdinawhackjob from Iran if he knows the difference between mormons and baptists. I bet you get the 1000 yard stare.
If he acknowledges you at all.

MobBoss said:
Pre-emptive wars should only be fought after a braincheck. Based on fundamental ignorance of the most basic demographic facts regarding Iraq, I see that the status of some people's brain was fairly lacking.

The difference between Sunni and Catholic is that both fans believe in one more god than I do :smug: .

“Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?”
Kind of a hard question for any intelligence official who specialize on determining what is our enemy.What is it relevent to know an enemy guerilla fighter or a covert terrorist religious belief?Does all religious belief whether it be a shiite or a sunni the reason that they are fighting us?

But as I keep asking it around Capitol Hill and the agencies, I get more and more blank stares.
Blank stares does not denote that they are perplexed by your so-called razor sharpe question.It is a call for a vague answer to a complex problem on determining who is a terrorist or a guerilla fighter and who is a peaceful civilian.

I hate journalists.Especially ones that don't ask the important intelligent questions.

I recognize the differences between Shia and Sunni Muslims and the various sub sects.

Top Bottom