Sunny California

Belgarion95

Walking Enthusiast
Title Card.png

The apocalypse is happening right now. Its epicenter is California. Factions are forming in the anarchy, many of which will perish as the apocalypse intensifies. The apocalypse is not a single disaster, but an unpredictable chain-reaction of multiplying catastrophes. An 'asteroid' impact destroys Los Angeles, triggering seismic activity. The earthquakes cut off intra-state transportation. A Tsunami levels the Bay Area. In the panic, government organizations are unable to contain a number of secret labs, releasing deadly viruses, zombies, mutant alligator-sharks, and other horrors. Nuclear missiles are accidentally launched from a compromised facility, spreading the apocalypse.

Apocalypse 1.jpg

That was the last, official word. No help is on its way; no help remains. There have been rumors - of great old ones rising from the seas, from the sand, from the mountains. Of massive, rumbling alien forces blotting out the sky. Of atrocities committed by our fellow man - these rumors, though perhaps the most disturbing, are the most likely to be true.

For now, I believe we are safe. It's been 6 months since the first calamity. First, everywhere we went was on fire, or full of scared people. We see fewer people these days. Sacramento seems to have run out of buildings to burn; we've spent the past 3 weeks in a root cellar. The noises above were ... unsettling, and unpredictable. Yesterday, we were approached by a faction of men with guns - they demanded we join them, but they did not need any threats. We went willingly. We'll take our chances. In this wasteland, you find allies or you die.

Apocalypse 3.jpg

Sunny California is a mid-apocalypse game. There are threats everywhere, new threats rise every week, and all of them will differ widely in severity and character. Your goal is to survive into the post-apocalypse.

I expect to update this ~once per week, after an initial 2 week start-up period. I'll also be taking advantage of the start-up period to possibly refine the rule set in response to questions and ideas.

I'm grateful to J.K. Stockholme for consultation on rules and game design.

Spoiler Sign-ups :

1. Pick starting county on the map.
  2. Describe the apocalypse(s) that unfolded in your county.
  3. Name your faction.
  4. Describe the history of your faction, where it is located, and why.
  5. Describe your 3 leaders. I will assign stats/abilities based on your description.
  6. Describe 5 groups of 500-5000 people that are a part of your faction. I will assign stats/abilities based on your description. I will then randomly assign additional assets to each faction to round them out.
Sunny California Starting Map.png

Notes:
  1. I will add threats to the map at the end of the sign-up period.
  2. The map and a sample faction (with stats) are attached

These are lists apocalypses, faction leaders, and groups that are known (or rumored) to live in California. Feel free to use them for inspiration, or in a faction you design!

Spoiler Apocalypses :

Earthquake - Enormous areas devastated by unprecedentedly large quakes - skyscrapers topple, most structures collapse, and only ruins remain.
Flood - Permanently submerged in water, as the land in certain areas rapidly sinks below sea-level.
Tsunami - Either a consequence of a local earthquake, or due to nuclear detonations at sea, offshore quakes, etc. Completely levels an area, leaving devastation and much exposed land.
Crab-people Uprising - Awakened by the cataclysm, the day we all knew was coming finally arrived - massive crustaceans, coordinated in their actions, have taken over [X city]. Are these the Elder Things, those horrors much-whispered of but not to be believed? When you hear a scuttling of calcified claws in the night, you must run - for when you hear their horrendous battle-cry, you will know that it is already too late.
Horde of Cybernetic Birds - My god, their steel talons! Who knows who or what created these deadly hybrids, but they are extremely coordinated and savage in their rending destruction. No prey is too large for these creatures, who use the wreckage of the world to construct new birds of prey and reproduce. They can strike at any moment, and one must be vigilant.
Nuclear Detonation - Either of a nuclear plant or of a mistakenly-fired (or intentionally fired!) thermonuclear warhead. There is a deep impact crater, a far-reaching burnt-out halo from the firestorm, and high levels of local radioactivity.
Scourge of the Undead - They move across the countryside, consuming, growing, incorporating all formerly-living creatures into their ranks. Fortunately, they do not appear to be guided by an intelligent force, merely unquenchable hunger.
The Iron Thorns - Very slow-moving, but inexorable and extremely tough, this lab-developed invasive plant will not be stopped. Believed to be a single organism, this fast-growing plant uses its vines to ensnare passers-by and consumes them with its many stomachs.

Attachments

• Sunny California Example Faction.xlsx
    66.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
RESERVED FOR RULE UPDATES AND FAQs

Attachments

• Sunny California Rulebook.docx
    22.8 KB · Views: 90
Cool. Posting to subscribe. I love the banner; thats a huge wave!

Starting County: Solano County
Local Apocalypses:
  • Forest Fires: a devastating wildfire burned through woodland, farmland, and several municipalities in Solano County, aggravated by strong unpredictable winds.
  • Displaced Wildlife: millions of displaced hungry predators, including grizzly bears, wolves, and mountain lions, migrated from other parts of California and the recently destroyed forests into Solano’s hinterland.
Faction Name: Mutual Aid & Action Network
Faction History: As the world was rocked by apocalyptic crises, citizen organizers sprang to action in Solano County as their government failed them and the business class fled. An informal alliance of activists, charity workers, firemen, and teachers formed to prevent the raging fires from destroying all of Fairfield and Vallejo, and prevent mass starvation from the collapse of civilization. The firefighters and charity workers established the Citizen Fire & Aid Authority in the first couple months, appointing Artie Kang its leader. Panic and social disintegration were prevented in Fairfield and Vallejo by the Social Action Alliance led by Simone Beasley, a left-wing Black Lives Matter-affiliated collective of community organizers and armed neighbourhood defenders, who promptly seized critical community assets (e.g. supermarkets, power generators) and began coordinating distribution with the firefighters and charity workers. Without businesses or the local government, the next largest group of people able to provide manpower for movement of goods and taking up staffing of necessities were the teachers – the teachers unions of Fairfield, Vallejo, and various smaller jurisdictions in-between unified under Sofia Catalina Ramos, to whom their thousands of workers could be called upon for each of the projects Artie Kang and Simone Beasley needed numbers. The Teachers Working Group has also helped maintain some semblance of normalcy for Solano’s children, which the teachers supervise in enormous classes that function primarily as daycare, freeing up regular citizens to do the work necessary to prevent everything from falling apart. After this constellation of grassroots groups took hold, looters and armed intruders from other counties began migrating into Solano. It was at this time that the region’s most infamous biker gang, the Free Devils, offered to protect what they saw as their community from outsiders, working (tensely) with the antifa-esque Social Action Alliance community defenders. The NorthBay Medical Center, a large complex and one of the county’s largest employers, became the de facto headquarters for this network of citizen groups, and also provided critical medical care. The Center has also attracted professors, engineers, and computer scientists from both businesses whose CEOs vanished and universities that were abandoned. Several months into the calamity, Artie Kang, Simone Beasley, and Sofia Ramos, in a council meeting including representatives of the Free Devils and the Medical Center, formally elaborated on their de facto governmental structure and gave themselves a name: the Mutual Aid & Action Network.
Leaders (3):
  • Artie Kang: an older (50s) Asian-American man, ex-Vallejo firefighter who move on to state-level fire response teams, Artie Kang was in his hometown of Vallejo when the apocalypse began. He is gregarious, talkative, kind, overly forgiving, tall and physically muscular, with decades of experience in managing urban and forest fires as a front-line worker and leader.
  • Simone Beasley: an older millenial (30s) African-American woman, activist, leftist, and community organizer who took the local Social Action Alliance from a few dozen people to a popular multi-city network. She is well-read, highly educated (Masters in History from UC Berkeley), vegan, atheist, stern, somewhat mean, and a strong public speaker, who moved from elsewhere in California but now has deep roots in Solano County.
  • Sofia Catalina Ramos: an older (40s) Latino woman, long-time teacher and teachers union functionary who had just been voted in as president of the Fairfield Teachers Association when the apocalypse began. She exudes a quiet confidence, she is empathetic, a workaholic, a social manipulator, and has lived in Fairfield her whole life. She established her command over the teachers union, using her new position there to compel fast action, and has gained the teachers loyalty even though she keeps ordering them to do manual labour.
Groups (5):
  • Solano Citizen Fire & Aid Authority: firefighters and charity workers coordinating crisis response and providing social services. Presumably includes firefighting vehicles (fire trucks, perhaps a helicopter), and charity goods (stored food, clothes, emergency supplies, thrift store items).
  • Social Action Alliance: community organizers and social activists. They seized supermarkets, electric generators, gas stations, and other infrastructure. They are lightly armed (small arms and improvised melee weaponry), with some barricading capabilities (e.g. can quickly setup an autonomous zone).
  • Fairfield-Vallejo Teachers Working Group: thousands of teachers, the main benefit of which is their cohesion and sense of purpose (and willingness to do manual labour). Have control of schools and their equipment.
  • Free Devils Motorcycle Club: local Harley-Davidson “motorcycle enthusiasts.” Heavily armed (shotguns, illegal military hardware, explosives), small fleet of motorcycles, and possibly survivalist caches of ammo and gas.
  • NorthBay Medical Center: a hub of medical experts in many fields, and increasingly, non-medical experts from nearby tech firms, universities, and engineering companies. Includes the medical facility itself, tons of medical supplies (e.g. drugs) and technology (e.g. computers).

The OP hasn't been online in a year. I'd guess so.

Yes, failed to launch unfortunately - I may attempt to re-launch in the near future if there's interest then!

Count me in for the relaunch.

I'd make a profile in advance for it, but I don't know if the rules'll be different there or not, so just take my support for now.

Top Bottom