Super Cool First Strike Monster Mania Madness

Charlie_B

Warlord
I don't pay too much attention to what's happening in those long combat sequences I know I'm going to win, but even so this stood out for me:

Spoiler 600k warning :

All in one turn. Is this normal? O.0

Too many Defensive strikes, this is for sure. Looks like a bug. Does Abashi have blitz?

The ability to attack multiple times per turn also enables unlimited defensive strikes per turn. Blitz, Orthus Axe and Warcry enables this, maybe more sources.

So, it is a bug. Unlimitted defensive strikes per turn is one thing. Unlimited defensive strikes per attack is another. Take a close look at the list...

I was under the impression that each entry is a specific unit. (But ok, since there is no unit dying between the defensive strikes I see what you mean)

The defensive strikes without a corresponding "unit killed" message are probably instances where dragon fear prevented the unit from attacking.

The defensive strikes without a corresponding "unit killed" message are probably instances where dragon fear prevented the unit from attacking.

Fear wouldn't prevent (non-living) Spectres and Wraiths from attacking.

:D

It was a game I played a few days ago, never got around to uploading the pic. Pretty sure Abashi had blitz - although now I think about it can't he attack multiple times per turn anyway? I have no idea why there aren't more 'unit has died' messages - you would assume that if it was a strike per attacker then there'd be loads, and even if the strikes were all on the same unit there would have been deaths when they reached 100%. From memory each one looked like a proper attack (at least the first ones did, then I went off to make tea while the AI continued slaughtering itself :p).

The Clan had an obscene number of Ritualists (well over 100) and Mages (about 50 iirc), so there were bucketloads of spectres and skellies hanging around. It wasn't multiplayer - just a normal AI game. I was a bit surprised too when i started the war! Fortunately Abashi's harder than a mithril bouncer with diamond knuckledusters.

It's puzzling to me; looks like a bug. However, I've had a somewhat similar occurence with a hero equipped with Orthus' axe who had a defensive strike tally(but much shorter) combat results list. If you didn't witness the individual attacks (as I did mine), one can't be sure it wasn't some sort of bug. Hmm...I'd go with the enemy actually having and using all those spectres. I've seen the Clan with 80 Ritualists and 70 mages myself, so they can overdo it.

Perhaps Abashi is injured. Or the wraith as a temporary summon has higher chance of defending?

It almost looks like each subsequent attack attempt stacked or multiplied the number of defensive strikes the unit was capable of. The number seems normal for the first couple of times but after the fifth set of strikes (13th dead unit) they start increasing, but units also stop dying. Maybe the units disengaged somehow? But that would be reported in the log too.

Also seems strange that it is your wraith making the kills and not Abashi...

Don't all heros have a low chance of defending a stack (without Guardsman/Marksman interfering)? If not perhaps Abashi was injured by then. My Wraiths were certainly powerful with Empower V and quite a lot of Death mana backing them up, and I might not have given Abashi combat promotions yet.

It almost looks like each subsequent attack attempt stacked or multiplied the number of defensive strikes the unit was capable of. The number seems normal for the first couple of times but after the fifth set of strikes (13th dead unit) they start increasing, but units also stop dying. Maybe the units disengaged somehow? But that would be reported in the log too.

The kills at the top of a log are the newest - it reads from bottom up. The Wraith started killing after the first strikes had fired.

Don't all heros have a low chance of defending a stack (without Guardsman/Marksman interfering)? If not perhaps Abashi was injured by then. My Wraiths were certainly powerful with Empower V and quite a lot of Death mana backing them up, and I might not have given Abashi combat promotions yet.

The kills at the top of a log are the newest - it reads from bottom up. The Wraith started killing after the first strikes had fired.

Do defensive strikes hit the whole stack of attackers or just the unit attacking?

If the attacks were not made against the dragon. The dragon's fear wouldn't prevent the unit from attacking. However, it appears that the defending unit is a Wraith, which also have fear. Still, enemy living units would have passed many of the attacks, since fear is not so much effective that it blocks every single attack against a unit.

IIRC, Abashi doesn't have the hero promotion.

Luzian also isn't a hero and nevertheless warriors defend before him, which I often consider quite annoying as in my games he generally is promoted very well.

Top Bottom