1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Super easy unit request

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Requests & Ideas' started by speaker4thedead, Jul 7, 2020.

1. speaker4thedead

speaker4thedead Chieftain

Maybe there is a mod already for this, though i couldn't find it, but if there isn't... would someone be able to make and share a simple unit mod that allows Apostles to go on 'guard' - OR - create/modify an existing military unit that already has 'guard' to be able to detect and attack religious units?

Is that asking too much? Like is that something that's beyond what's capable without hours of work?

I love playing with religion in Civ 6 but at some point i just don't have an hour to spend every turn looking to ward off the random apostles that always pop up and thought this would be a great idea. I tried... but making a mod is fathoms beyond what i can figure out, so i figured i would come here and beg a boon.

2. speaker4thedead

Ok so... maybe not easy? Anyone able to give me a quick run down on why it's not something someone can just slap together in 10 minutes? I looked at a video showing how to make a unit, and it seemed straight forward if you know the points of reference. Perhaps i came to the wrong conclusion?

3. ShiroToraRyu

ShiroToraRyu Civ 6 Modder

I think there is just nobody interested in making this mod for you.

The best idea is, to make everything you want to make yourself. That seems to be a general rule in life, unfortunately.

But i do understand every person not interested in learning how to mod a game.

speaker4thedead likes this.
  4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

And "made in 10 minutes" mods are unlikely, unless you know exactly which existing effect you're looking to apply on something.

Anyway, I'm afraid that would require scripting, so no, definitively not super easy.

ShiroToraRyu and speaker4thedead like this.
  5. speaker4thedead

Oh no, i didn't mean to imply that 'oh come on why can't someone do something for me!', i know it's always high hopes and fingers crossed for something like this.

Yea i opened up the thing thinking... eh, i can maybe cobble together something simple like 'Apostle+'... but yea, without any idea of what i was looking at i felt like linguist trying to read Egyptian hieroglyphs before the Rosetta Stone was found, lol.

Scripting, while i don't understand it... i do understand that it means 'a lot more work' lol, and is exactly the kind of thing i was looking for in terms of 'why wouldn't someone want to make this mod?'.

My thinking was that this was a thing that someone could grab the 'alert' skill from an archer and attach it to an apostle - that's why i thought it would be an easy. While i'm not surprised someone didn't jump when i asked, I was just curious as to what people said to themselves when they see this (or any post like this) and just walk away from it. Maybe it would give me insight on how to handle it myself (scripting though... lol... nope).

Thanks for the reply guys!