Superbowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Disgustipated, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Was a good game. Lots of suspense.

2. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Very exciting . Bizarre seeing the Giants QB initially celebrate the final TD then throw his head back realizing that it was the wrong option

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Excellent game. It wasn't a perfect game (mistakes by both coaches burning time outs and Eli burning one time out), but exciting at the end. I usually root for the underdog, and I usually end up disappointing myself by doing that. Glad I wasn't disappointed today.

I'm not even a Giants fan, I just like to see the Pats lose. Something about that team bothers me. It's their smugness and the way they ran up the score a few years ago, not to mention the video taping scandal.

And I really wanted Eli to win because I'm a Payton Manning fan. Peyton might not even play for Indy next year, and who knows what lies in his future. Good to see his brother bring one home for the family.

4. wilycoyote

wilycoyote King

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1603/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-united-way

How can one brother be so awesome and the other... well, so not awesome?

Hopefully, Peyton's future lies as a Cardinal.

5. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Quality game. Enjoyed it very much, not least for the damn dirty Cheatriots taking a Stomach Punch loss. Happy to know that my Mark Ingram rookie jersey isn't terminally unlucky (was worried there after the divisional-round loss to the Whiners).

Especially glad to see that the Cheatriots even lost despite having a minute plus a timeout to try to score a touchdown. Their offense had fits and starts all game. Wasn't good enough.

Not looking forward so much to comparisons of Manningham's catch with the Tyree Catch, though. The Tyree Catch was one in a million and killed 19-0. Manningham's catch didn't even happen on first down; it wasn't do-or-die and Manning wasn't nearly sacked twice on the play.

Anyway, I'm very happy. After the Aints went out to the Whiners this was pretty much all I had to root for.

6. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

Great game of hand egg

7. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

That was one of the most trolltastic touchdowns ever. I love it.

8. dosed150

dosed150 Emperor

i watched a rugby match, ireland v wales a few hours earlier and that was much better, and thats probably more comparable

9. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Only NFL game I get to see all year. And it was a good one :)

And the half-time show was better than last years, but so is root canal treatment.

10. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I never cared for the game myself. It takes over 3 hours to play a game that has a playing length of 1 hour.

11. Riffraff

Riffraff Deity

Hilarious at the end with the Giant player running for the touchdown, then trying to brake and ending up sitting down into the endzone :lol:

The last play was surprinsgly close, with a pinch of luck it would have bounced right into the recievers hands..

12. Cutlass

That's probably the only time you'll ever see a team tell a runningback to not score a touchdown, and the other team tell their defense to not stop a touchdown.

13. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Only even more stop start ;)

Nah , even as a League fan I admit that was an excellent game of rugby , but I preferred the Superbowl.

@Classical Hero .....as mutual lovers of test cricket which goes for 5 days with a 25% chance of the match being DRAWN , the "3 hour" argument is a bit rich .

14. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I'm glad the Giants won.

I was very disappointed that the "Watch the Superbowl live through the internet..." thing was actually not working last night. I have Windows 7, IE 10, and Silverlight 5 and NBC still told me that something might be wrong with my setup.

That and the internet was extremely laggy from about 6pm to 7pm EST. IDK if Comcast was mad at the streaming cutting into their Cable TV revenue, or what, but I only got to follow the scoreboard. Mike and Mike (ESPN internet radio) were streaming the game supposedly (missed that).

on flow: Football is very positional/situational, kind of like a chess match with athletes as pawns, with each down as a turn. You just have to know the down, the down marker, the field position, and the relative strengths of the teams to appreciate the game.

15. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Well it is the duration problem. The time allocated for the game is 4 15 minutes quarters and often the games goes through too many stops for my liking. Cricket is mostly continuous play except for the change of end, but that is limited and we should be getting a certain amount of play during each session, so my gripe about Gridiron is about the stoppages and how long it takes to play a 1 hour game in effect.

16. illram

illram Deity Retired Moderator

It is hard to lose two Superbowls to the Giants, both in last minute fantastic fashion, and see the dynasty continue to slowly fade away in the rear view mirror. I'm not quite sure how many more years the Patriots can sustain championship caliber teams, particularly as Brady ages, so this one stings almost as bad as 2007 did.

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I didn't watch any of this, anything I should know about for today's water cooler talk? I don't really care about the game itself - did anything interesting happen at half time? Any exposed boobs?

18. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

The halftime show was a yawn, but apparently some singer flipped the bird. Meh :dunno:
    The game itself exceeded expectations with suspense and quality play.

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Wayne Rooney disagrees

but I don't really think he understand any of the game; this must have been his first time watching american football

20. Cutlass

Halftime was over produced and under exciting.