Superbowl thread

Wayne Rooney disagrees

but I don't really think he understand any of the game; this must have been his first time watching american football
I feel the same after watching a decade of Wayne Rooney!

I'm a Brit. I thought I liked soccer. I emigrated to the US and suddenly found that what they call football here is a more interesting, more exciting game than soccer. I was really surprised at my own reaction.

But hey, American Football is more cerebral than soccer - more like a chess match - so it's hardly surprising that Rooney finds it a challenge. :mischief:

The difference is that soccer keeps moving with few interruptions during the course of the game. But for the most part other than constant motion, little excitement happens during much of the game time. Football has more interruption time than playing time, but the exciting parts happen more frequently. So the 2 sports really are not directly comparable in audience appeal.

The halftime show had potential with the Roman setup, what with the NFL being kind of like gladiators in an arena. It had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, the potential was squandered. :(

Also, the worst part of the Giants winning is that Mario Manningham's catch is now going to be slobbered over as Tyree II. While it was an impressive catch, the continual squealing like school girls gets to be annoying.

They should of gotten Steven Tyler for the Half Time show.

Link to video.

Art Garfunkel dancing on a tightrope was quite good though.
That was pretty good.

Also, the worst part of the Giants winning is that Mario Manningham's catch is now going to be slobbered over as Tyree II. While it was an impressive catch, the continual squealing like school girls gets to be annoying.
You know, I think somebody made that point already, and he did it better. :mischief:

what was last year, bruce springsteen?
The Black Eyed Peas. And before that, the Who.

It's been a long time since we've had a halfway decent halftime show.

But hey, American Football is more cerebral than soccer - more like a chess match - so it's hardly surprising that Rooney finds it a challenge. :mischief:

Yeah, it's played in discrete plays as opposed to continuous action. In that way it is more comprable to chess than soccer.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN was pretty great back in 2009

i dont know, classic pop-rock acts usually leave me with the feeling of "now where the hell are the climaxes", especially since live versions of their songs have the tendency to not reach any kind of point even more than the studio versions.

kind of drags on and on, without anything of note happening on stage.

now would they shoot a crocodile into space already...

I thought the halftime show was alright, considering how lame they usually are. Apparently MIA flipped the bird, I missed that.

Links to the best commercials please?

This thread belongs to the sports forum.

And I actually thought Superbowl was at thanksgiving. I remember that on the Friends TV show episodes happening during that time they are always watching American football.

Anyway, let's go New York! I love that city so no matter if I don't care of the sport I will always cheer for them.

This thread belongs to the sports forum.

And I actually thought Superbowl was at thanksgiving. I remember that on the Friends TV show episodes happening during that time they are always watching American football.

Anyway, let's go New York! I love that city so no matter if I don't care of the sport I will always cheer for them.

We do have traditional games on that day. Used to be two, but I think 3 now. Cowboys and Lions are traditionally playing that day (not against each other, but other teams).

It's a pretty big football day. I do remember the Friends episodes with them watching football on Thanksgiving.

I'm happy because I can't stand the Patriots* and their fat hoodie-wearing coach and their metrosexual quarterback.

Last edited:
Well it is the duration problem. The time allocated for the game is 4 15 minutes quarters and often the games goes through too many stops for my liking. Cricket is mostly continuous play except for the change of end, but that is limited and we should be getting a certain amount of play during each session, so my gripe about Gridiron is about the stoppages and how long it takes to play a 1 hour game in effect.

I would hardly say that cricket is continuous, given how long a break there generally is in between each ball.

I watched a bit of gridiron a couple of weeks ago, and yeah, the amount of stoppages is really weird and at times annoying (like "okay, I'll just watch the last two minutes of this quarter" meaning "I'm here for another half an hour"), but it stills seems a pretty interesting game. It just probably shouldn't be compared to other forms of football, which do pride themselves more on flow.

Also, Moderator Action: Moved to Sports Talk.

Top Bottom