Superhero warlords?

superjuice

Chieftain
I've been running version 1.81 for quite some time. I really enjoyed RoM. Recently, I upgraded to 1.92. Since then, it's been impossible to play successfully because warfare has been reduced to feeding each other's warlords until the RNG decides it's good game and kills your warlord.

In 1.81, Warlord Chief units are 6 strength instead of 10; much weaker. In 1.92, I've tried everything down to stacking high level instances of the latest tech units in forts providing +100 tile defense and there is no way to defend against a warlord. The only effective strategy against an enemy warlord is having one of your own - along with a huge stack - and using brute force. Early game, you are limited to one per nation, iirc. So, if you go to war against two nations, it's good game.

Am I doing something wrong? I mean, it even has hidden nationality - which brings about another bundle of headaches - and I have no idea how that even makes sense in the setting. I'm really confused here. I can't possibly imagine that the gameplay I am experiencing is what was intended by the design.

As far as I can tell they are performing exactly as the designer of the unit intended. I agree with you that it doesn't seem right.

an axe or a crossbow can hunt down a warlord pretty easely. Cant see the big issue there.

An Axeman has a 2.94% chance of victory against a Warlord Chief. I would not consider that "pretty easy".

Crossbowmen are enabled after you discover Engineering; Warlord Chiefs after Military Training. The latter tech is much earlier than the former. In fact, Heraldry, which unlocks Warlord Captains with 15 strength, is quite close to Engineering and would provide a more suitable comparison. And, in that case, Crossbowmen have a 31.49% chance of victory. And that itself is pretty flimsy; it is with no terrain bonuses and no non-default promotions. In reality, those factors tend to benefit the Warlord.

Both the attack power and hidden nationality aspects have already been discussed at length, so...since Warlords are modules, they can be deleted if you do not like to play with them. To delete Warlords, you have to delete its folder, it is located: Beyond the Sword/Mods/Rise of Mankind/Assets/Modules/Custom Units.

This is the best solution I can offer.

An Axeman has a 2.94% chance of victory against a Warlord Chief. I would not consider that "pretty easy".

Crossbowmen are enabled after you discover Engineering; Warlord Chiefs after Military Training. The latter tech is much earlier than the former. In fact, Heraldry, which unlocks Warlord Captains with 15 strength, is quite close to Engineering and would provide a more suitable comparison. And, in that case, Crossbowmen have a 31.49% chance of victory. And that itself is pretty flimsy; it is with no terrain bonuses and no non-default promotions. In reality, those factors tend to benefit the Warlord.

mmm. I must have been playing my own mod for too long, since I falsely remembered axes and xbows to be more powerfull. I guess the best thing to do is to lure the warlord to eiter attack a well fortified city or a hill/forested fortified axe with shock I+II.
At least he wont bring 40+ warlords as there is a national limit on 1.
I do admit it requires a bit of strategy. but thats not such a bad thing is it? ;)

Top Bottom