Superheroes!

TIL the younger T'Chaka in the prologue of Black Panther was played by Atandwa Kani, John Kani's son.

I looked him up because of Kevin Feige's comment that more prequels could be on the table for the MCU. I don't think he was announcing anything, he was just saying that prequels aren't out of the question, especially if Black Widow is well received. Naturally, the first three things that came into my head were The Invaders; the original Ant-Man & The Wasp; and a Black Panther prequel featuring one of T'Challa's predecessors/ancestors. I feel like I must've mentioned those before.

With decades and centuries of sometimes-turbulent history to choose from, I was thinking post-Colonial Africa of the early 1960s could be an intriguing setting for a Black Panther story. According to Wikipedia, thirteen African countries declared independence from France in 1960 (9 of them in August alone). And then there was the "Congo Crisis." It's some interesting reading, even if you just want to browse the Wikipedia entries. I don't know if the MCU wants to involve its stories in real-world historical events too closely, but I see no reason they couldn't invent another fictional country. That period was so tumultuous, they could say that the fictional country in question later became part of another, real country and doesn't exist anymore. And if you wanted to weave in some existing MCU history, what are the odds that Hydra wouldn't try to take advantage of the chaos? John Boyega as T'Challa's grandfather in hand-to-hand with The Winter Soldier? They could continue to play up the super-spy aspect with some kind of homage to Dr. No-era James Bond. Imagine a scene where a Desmond Llewelyn lookalike gives the main character a Walther PPK, but he hands it back. "You better hang onto that. I won't need it." Maybe that's too obscure? :lol:

@Synsensa, I thought I'd take my nerd talk over here.

Logically, I agree, but I'm kind of happy they aren't doing crossovers with this series. I freely admit bias in that regard though: I stopped watching all the other CW shows. I don't want to be roped back in. :lol:
I agree, I don't want constant crossovers, either, especially if they required keeping up with all of the shows. Like I say, I didn't realize that Kara was indisposed over on her show because I haven't watched it lately. Superman and Lois made one, big, unforced error early in the season, imo: Superman not only heard a disaster happening in China, from Smallville, he flew there in minutes, from Smallville. That means he flies at, like, 40,000 mph? There's just no reason for that. The writers were unbelievably sloppy, imho. I think it'd be reasonable - even from a crazy, comic-book superhero perspective - to say that Kara can fly at about the speed of sound, ~750mph/1200kph. And we know Kara is faster than Clark, so maybe he could fly at ~700mph/1100kph. I mean, that's fast enough, isn't it? That would mean it'd take about 2 hours to get from National City to Smallville, or vice versa, not fast enough to be in each other's business all the time.

@Synsensa, I thought I'd take my nerd talk over here.

I agree, I don't want constant crossovers, either, especially if they required keeping up with all of the shows. Like I say, I didn't realize that Kara was indisposed over on her show because I haven't watched it lately. Superman and Lois made one, big, unforced error early in the season, imo: Superman not only heard a disaster happening in China, from Smallville, he flew there in minutes, from Smallville. That means he flies at, like, 40,000 mph? There's just no reason for that. The writers were unbelievably sloppy, imho. I think it'd be reasonable - even from a crazy, comic-book superhero perspective - to say that Kara can fly at about the speed of sound, ~750mph/1200kph. And we know Kara is faster than Clark, so maybe he could fly at ~700mph/1100kph. I mean, that's fast enough, isn't it? That would mean it'd take about 2 hours to get from National City to Smallville, or vice versa, not fast enough to be in each other's business all the time.

Yes, that's a problem. It also makes him suffer from the usual CW issue where villains can escape because they've turned a corner, yet all the heroes' abilities would make that a nonfactor. :lol:

In the show Smallville, Superman was a little bit slower than Flash. I think that divide is wider in the CW? I don't recall what happened when Kara raced Barry.

Yes, that's a problem. It also makes him suffer from the usual CW issue where villains can escape because they've turned a corner, yet all the heroes' abilities would make that a nonfactor. :lol:

In the show Smallville, Superman was a little bit slower than Flash. I think that divide is wider in the CW? I don't recall what happened when Kara raced Barry.
iirc, they left us guessing as to the Barry-vs-Kara footrace. If they stick to Superman being able to fly around the world in minutes, I'm not sure he's slower than The Flash at all. Barry can travel through time and across dimensions with the help of technology. I don't think they've broached that topic with either Superman or Supergirl.

I was looking at Wikipedia for some speed comparisons. The International Space Station, at an altitude of ~250 miles, orbits the Earth in ~93 minutes, at a speed of ~17,000 mph. That's probably the closest comparison. If Superman or Supergirl were going to fly to China, it'd make sense for them to go straight up for "only" a couple-hundred miles, then fly in Low Earth Orbit. One aspect of Barry's speed that Clark and Sara don't enjoy is that he doesn't trigger "sonic booms" or create pressure waves in the air.

New trailer shows some stuff. Some people are convinced the brute in the cage-fight at the end is Emil "The Abomination" Blonsky.

iirc, they left us guessing as to the Barry-vs-Kara footrace. If they stick to Superman being able to fly around the world in minutes, I'm not sure he's slower than The Flash at all. Barry can travel through time and across dimensions with the help of technology. I don't think they've broached that topic with either Superman or Supergirl.
IIRC, in Justice League, they show Flash and Superman racing, but they don't show who wins. I also remember them racing in the cartoon but reaching an inconclusive result. When Clark is "resurrected" and fights the whole team in Justice League, Flash has a clear edge on Clark in speed although its slight. Barry seems astonished that Clark is actually fast enough to keep up with him at all, and there is that great scene where Flash is running to get behind Clark and Clark's angry eye starts to follow a speeding Flash while everything else is standing relatively still. Even though Flash is amazed that Clark can see, let alone keep up with him, Flash is still fast enough to barely dodge most of Clarks blows.

I would say that but for the shenanigans in Superman I (1978), you would have to give Flash the clear nod in terms of speed due to his ability to go fast enough to time travel. I don't know of any other instances where Superman has been shown traveling fast enough to time-travel, and even in that instance, he wasn't time-traveling in the traditional sense, but instead doing the ridiculous stunt of causing the world to spin backwards on its axis which for some reason rewound time (and apparently erased the nuclear explosions as well :crazyeye:). I tend to just disregard that silliness (although I guess its technically canon) and go with Superman not being fast enough to time travel, therefore making Flash faster.
One aspect of Barry's speed that Clark and Sara don't enjoy is that he doesn't trigger "sonic booms" or create pressure waves in the air.
He does however generate all that static electricity around him that Superman does not.

IGN, 25 June 2021 - "The Boys Season 3 Casts Walking Dead Alum as New Superhero"

IGN said:
Amazon is continuing to build out its team for Season 3 of The Boys. Laurie Holden has been cast in a recurring role for the upcoming season, as reported by Variety.

Holden has been cast as a character named Crimson Countess. In the original The Boys comic series by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, Crimson Countess is a member of Payback, an organization branded as the "second most popular superteam." In the comics, the leader of Payback is Soldier Boy, who will be portrayed by Jensen Ackles in the upcoming season.
IGN said:
Holden joins a trio of new actors announced earlier this week as recurring cast members on The Boys Season 3. Sean Patrick Flanery will play Gunpowder, Miles Gaston Villanueva will play Supersonic, and Nick Wechsler will play Blue Hawk.
I liked Holden in The Americans. I've never read the comic The Boys is based on, so I can't infer anything about these characters, but I'm looking forward to season 3. I think they're currently filming, and I would guess this series has a lot of post-production work, so it'll probably have to be next year. Damned pandemic, messing with my psychotic superhero tv shows.

Also, this is so hilariously awful, I can't stand it. :lol: I can't confirm with a quick Google search, but I think that might actually be Erin Moriarty singing.

Also, this is so hilariously awful, I can't stand it. :lol: I can't confirm with a quick Google search, but I think that might actually be Erin Moriarty singing.

I think that is the point... its supposed to be super-cliche and a corny. I think its a parody of the stuff they always do in these types of situations.

I'm really not feelin' Loki.
Same. I mean, I guess I kinda sorta like [the new antagonist] who seems mildly interesting, but for the most part it's just a bunch, like a *bunch* of dialogue, which is mostly conveyed by two unreliable narrators delivering narratives you can't really trust, punctuated by some action scenes (which to be fair are pretty fun to watch).

The plot, though? Does not really advance beyond what you learn in Episode 1. And, fwiw, does not tie into the greater MCU universe, at least thus far. So... my interest is waning. We're only halfway through though, so I'll see this out... in 3 weeks. *sigh* Makes me miss binge-watching.

Hope I kept that spoiler-free - that was my intention.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer II -

--------------

Voice Cast:

Mark Hamill as Skeletor; Lena Headey as Evil-Lyn; Chris Wood as Prince Adam/He-Man; Sarah Michelle Gellar as Teela; Liam Cunningham as Man-At-Arms; Stephen Root as Cringer; Diedrich Bader as King Randor/Trap Jaw; Griffin Newman as Orko; Tiffany Smith as Andra; Henry Rollins as Tri-Klop; Alan Oppenheimer (original Skeletor) as Moss Man; Susan Eisenberg as Sorceress; Alicia Silverstone as Queen Marlena; Justin Long as Roboto; Jason Mewes as Stinkor; Phil LaMarr as He-Ro; Tony Todd as Scare Glow; Cree Summer as Priestess; Kevin Michael Richardson as Beast Man and Kevin Conroy as Mer-Man.

--------------

Prequel Comic Cover -
Spoiler :

-----------------

Last edited:
The comments on the He-Man video are absolute drek, of course. :cringe:

I usually have to mentally get past the fact that an animated movie or show is animated, but yeah, I'll give this a shot. And it might be the only chance I ever get to see Peggy Carter again, so...

Top Bottom