Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Well, if you don't post a list, it clearly isn't strong enough. :p

Sommerswerd likes this.
  2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

What If...? episode 5.

Spoiler :

Ehhhh. Not sure how I feel about this AU having zombies with remnant ambition and emotions. Still, it was an okay enough watch.

3. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

What If..? ep. 5

Pfth. :undecide:

I saw in advance what this episode was about, and was thisclose to just skipping it. I was already pretty tired of zombies when the original Marvel Zombies was published 15 years ago, so I just never read it. I didn't think Marvel heroes fighting and/or becoming zombies sounded interesting or innovative.

There are certain tropes in fiction that are high-risk and low-reward, for me: Flashbacks; expository voice-overs; an unlikable protagonist; zombies. As a writer, you're making yourself climb a hill that you don't need to climb when you do some of these things, and there's nothing special at the top. (There are exceptions, of course, and I suppose it's those exceptions that drive so many writers to give it a go.) I mean, it's an inherent principle of zombies that they're uninteresting. It's part of the concept.

Anyway, this episode of What If..? was a yawner.

Right, that little "twist" wasn't innovative, either. I go back to...
    Spoiler :
    Deadworld, a comic from the late '80s that featured an intelligent zombie as a villain, and Night of the Living Dead III (1993), which featured a protagonist who was turning into a zombie, but holding on to her human mind*. And iZombie, a show I liked a fair bit, was just a couple of years ago.**
    If there was something interesting or exciting in applying that particular idea with the MCU characters, or if this episode illuminated a side of the canonical characters that we don't get to see in the regular timeline, I missed it.

The animation was good, the action was good, there were some creepy moments and some funny moments, and I liked seeing Hope as a key Avenger, but overall I was happy this took less than ½-hour out of my day. I'd give it a C+ or a 6/10, maybe? Just for the capable execution.

Spoiler :
    I have to admit, I still kind of have a thing for Melinda Clarke. :drool:
    Spoiler :
    I had a friend who I was pretty sure would like the show, and he refused to even give it a try, just because it had the word zombie in the title, even after I reassured him that it was a superhero-comedy and the characters weren't really zombie-zombies. That's how sick he was of zombies. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Synsensa likes this.
  4. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Zombies are pretty much a hard-pass for me in almost every circumstance. The only way I watch a zombie film is if I get tricked into it (like with I am Legend or The Serpent and the Rainbow). I have friends/relatives who have been trying for years to get me to watch The Walking Dead, and I just... can't. If I know in advance that the topic is zombies its pretty difficult for me to overcome the urge to skip it.

*in Edna Mode voice* "NO ZOMBIES!"

Synsensa likes this.
  5. Synsensa

Well, I don't have such a spirited dislike of zombies as you two do. :lol: Though I echo that I wasn't very interested in seeing their take on it, and what they came up with was... meh?

My only relevant take is that it was better than the first couple episodes, in terms of my butt being in a seat and not clicking away from the tab.

6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I wouldn't call my dislike of zombies "spirited." More like "bored." I liked Train to Busan and The Girl with All the Gifts, and I've got The Night Eats the World and Zombieland: Double Tap in my streaming queues (though, admittedly, I haven't exactly been in a rush to watch them). And I've enjoyed popping Ghouls in the head in Fallout 76 the last couple weeks.

I forget who said it, but there's an important difference between premise and plot. At this point, zombies are just a feature of the setting, like saying your movie is set in the 1970s, or takes place in Europe. That's cool. I like a lot of movies that are set in Europe.

7. Sommerswerd

"Spirited" is fair for me... I really don't care for zombie-centered stories.
    Yes, zombies are boring. It's a lazy form of adversary that you can just slaughter by the zillions without any moral implications and which you can credibly make mindlessly advance on the protagonists in endless hordes without any strategy or care.

Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly fine with "armies of the dead" as depicted in fantasy films/games like LotR, GoT, and action movies like Thor: Ragnarok, Pirates of the Caribbean, and so on... Armies of undead soldiers/warriors, sporting their tattered rusty armor and weapons are actually pretty cool and scary. The green mist ghost army in LotR was awesome. The Borg are one of my favorite villains in all of geekdom and they're pretty undead-adjacent, despite also being beehive/insect-like as opposed to proper "zombies".

But mindless grunting/groaning, random brain/blood/flesh eating zombies... no... its just too dumb... its usually just too immersion breaking and eye-roll inducing for me to sit and watch. i was actually enjoying I am Legend right up until the point when I realized it was pretty much a zombie movie. I almost turned it off right then, but I had already spent too much time watching it so the sunken-cost fallacy forced me to finish it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  8. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Hawkeye trailer. :dunno:

Cutlass likes this.
  9. Sommerswerd

Fans: :undecide::confused::think::hmm::twitch:

Disney: I thought I told ya that we won't stop... thought I told ya that we won't stop... nuh uh, nuh uh:nope:

10. Synsensa

What If...? episode 6 was fantastic. By far the best of the series so far. It also made me like Wakanda a lot more than the movie ever did.

11. Synsensa

Me, waiting for Sommer and Egon to get here:

tjs282 likes this.
  12. Sommerswerd

That Hawkeye trailer...

I commented without actually watching it... Now I've watched it...

So on top of everything else... Its a Christmas movie :xmascheers:

Disney is amazing.

@Synsensa - As I've said... I'm at the mercy of my kids when it comes to the What If episodes. I have to wait for them to watch it.

13. Synsensa

You're their dad! Sit them down and make them watch! :p

14. Sommerswerd

LOL... the thing is that is a very special... very particular superpower, that has a limited amount of charges on it and has a nasty side effect of draining the point values of your other parenting skills as a nerf on its inherently OP nature. So you have to use it very thoughtfully and sparingly... so I'm not wasting a "make them" spell on something they are going to do anyway.

The "make them" spell is more for things like snatching them out of the street before they get hit by a car ;)

tjs282 likes this.
  15. tjs282

tjs282 Stone(cold)fish

Tell them this one's set at least partly in Wakanda!

I binged eps 3–6 last night. (Apart from maybe the zombie one, meh), all 4 were better than 1+2, and 6 was definitely the best of them.

Synsensa likes this.
  16. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Ep 5 was pretty meh and Ep 6 was pretty good. Hearing Chadwick Boseman speaking from beyond the grave, both on-screen and in real life was pretty eerie.