Superheroes!

I'm wary of anything where the villain is the protagonist. I got particularly bored with the classic American gangster story a long time ago (never had the slightest interest in The Sopranos, for example). The version of gangster stories I've enjoyed tend to be ones where the hero is undercover, or is trying to get out. Superfly. A Better Tomorrow. Heist movies are fun, and those can be gangster movies. There's also a version of this story set within the larger context of the character becoming one of Batman's adversaries, where the villain is the hero of their own story. Normally, that means giving us some of the villain's perspective or background within the story where they're clearly the villain. So I'm curious to see what they do with the Penguin, and the cast looks good, but I'm remaining noncommittal beyond that.

---

Elsewhere...

The script for Thunderbolts is undergoing a "massive rewrite." Hoo-boy. *looks at watch* Movie's supposed to come out in 15 months, guys.

Weirdo horror queen Mia Goth has been cast in Blade. I actually haven't seen her in anything - X (2022); Pearl (2022); Infinity Pool (2023); and MaXXXine, the in-production sequel to X and Pearl - but I know she was praised for her work, and I do have X in my watchlist, so I take this casting news to be a good sign. It suggests the movie could have a real horror edge. One presumes she's playing a villain, if not the villain. Mia Goth as an MCU version of Elizabeth Bathory, anyone? (That last part isn't being reported or even rumored, that's just me fan-casting.)

Oh, I almost forgot: Morena Baccarin and Stefan Kapicic (Colossus) have both signed to appear in Deadpool 3. :clap:

The Justice League is facing off against a new horror: adolescence! Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Cyborg, Green Lantern and Vixen are surprised to find that not only have they materialized on a strange world called Remnant, but they’ve also been transformed into teenagers. Meanwhile, the heroes of Remnant – Ruby, Weiss, Blake and Yang – find their world has been mysteriously altered. Can the combined forces of the Justice League and Team RWBY return Remnant to normal before a superpowered Grimm destroys everything they know? JUSTICE LEAGUE x RWBY: SUPER HEROES & HUNTSMEN, PART ONE will be available on April 25

Rumor-mill runnin' wild: Adam Driver may be 'in final negotiations' to play Reed Richards, and Vanessa Kirby and Mila Kunis may be among the finalists to play Sue Storm.

Rumor-mill runnin' wild: Adam Driver may be 'in final negotiations' to play Reed Richards, and Vanessa Kirby and Mila Kunis may be among the finalists to play Sue Storm.

Though I admit I haven't watched anything else with him in it, I found Driver's acting abysmal and painful to sit through in the Star Wars sequels - he actually beat Christensen for the most noxious actor in a numbered Statr Wars movie to me, which was quite the bar, as I'm concered. Now, I know Reed Richards is often portrayed as a bit stiff, awkward, and a little egotistical in the source material, but I'm not sure about this casting, myself.

Though I admit I haven't watched anything else with him in it, I found Driver's acting abysmal and painful to sit through in the Star Wars sequels - he actually beat Christensen for the most noxious actor in a numbered Statr Wars movie to me, which was quite the bar, as I'm concered. Now, I know Reed Richards is often portrayed as a bit stiff, awkward, and a little egotistical in the source material, but I'm not sure about this casting, myself.
Yeah, I'm not excited by any of these 3. Still, I'm not sure I was hyped about the casting of any of the original MCU folks before I saw them do it.

I'm surprised they're going through with it. They've shown they're willing to trash movies after filming, and the enigma that is Ezra Miller seemed significant enough to put a pin in this forever.

I'm surprised they're going through with it. They've shown they're willing to trash movies after filming, and the enigma that is Ezra Miller seemed significant enough to put a pin in this forever.

Film has a white male lead.

Film has a white male lead.
That doesn't seem to nearly hold the weight in Hollywood in did 20 years ago. In fact, in many cases, it's become an active detriment. I highly doubt THAT'S the reason for this...

I'm actually kind of excited by this.

Yeah, I think it looks promising. I want to say that I haven't decided whether I'll see this one in theaters or wait for it to reach the streaming service, but honestly, I think it would take a team of draft horses to drag me to a movie theater right now. I'm hoping that's not a permanent condition, but we'll see...

but honestly, I think it would take a team of draft horses to drag me to a movie theater right now. I'm hoping that's not a permanent condition, but we'll see...
The theatre is an unpleasant experience of late. I think I've probably watched as many movies as I can count on two hands in the theatres in the last 20 years. People fiighting over seats (and for seats people have put their bulky bags on), children crying and complaining (and young adults as well, bringing the experience into R-rated movies), people no longer having popcorn and fountain drinks, but whole meals at the concessions stand, and sitting right near you with the eating mannners of Attila the Hun, and right after the ad with a movie or owning production company-relevant macot (or just a soft voice and text) reminding people to turn off cell phones for the movie perfomance, immediate, the flash of 50 or so cell phiones can be seen in front of me (I always sit at the back of the theatre). Quite odious, as a way to spend a few and an experience, as I see things, these days.

We've rarely experienced any of those issues at our local theater. My family's already seen 5 movies in the theater so far this year with ROTJ & GotG Vol.3 coming up in the next couple weeks. There's nothing better than seeing movies on big IMAX screens with amazing audio.
People fighting over seats (and for seats people have put their bulky bags on)
General admission seating is still a thing? I can't remember the last time we saw a movie without reserved seating. It's been at least a decade or more.

We've rarely experienced any of those issues at our local theater. My family's already seen 5 movies in the theater so far this year with ROTJ & GotG Vol.3 coming up in the next couple weeks. There's nothing better than seeing movies on big IMAX screens with amazing audio.

General admission seating is still a thing? I can't remember the last time we saw a movie without reserved seating. It's been at least a decade or more.
Well, I guess the movie theatre companies in my area manage themselves differently than in yours. That's all I can postulate.

If anyone still wants to see it, :lol: Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania will be hitting Disney+ on May 17th. I'll probably watch it, with some takeout, an adult beverage, and low expectations.

Top Bottom