1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Similarly, a friend tells me that The Wolverine isn't the fiery train wreck he expected. I guess it's based on the original Claremont & Miller miniseries.

2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Caught up with Wonder Woman. Overall liked it, but didn't love it as many people seem to have.

3. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I think Wonder Woman has benefited from a number of circumstantial events. Like you, I thought it was a good superhero movie, on par with Iron Man and Blade and a bunch of others, but not quite top of the class. I think it benefited from low initial expectations and people who saw it early liked it more than they expected to; then as word of mouth spread, the early raves unfairly raised expectations for people who saw it later. I think both things happen all the time.

I keep hearing about girls and women going into and coming out of the movie totally jazzed about a superhero movie featuring a woman (which is totally understandable, I was excited about it too). Of course it's not the first superhero movie featuring a woman, but Catwoman and Elektra were famously bad, which at least partially explains why people blow them off. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie) was fun, but I can sort of see why people didn't make a big deal about it. Television has had good, women-led action-adventure shows that didn't get the same acclaim. I guess that could be a bias against television, but that Wonder Woman was also directed by a woman may have something to do with that. Jessica Jones was done by a woman, but I expect the subject matter of that series was too grim, a victim of a crime getting revenge/justice. That Jessica had super strength doesn't make her a superheroine.

I think the fact that Wonder Woman is such an iconic character is part of it, too. I guess Catwoman is pretty famous, but only comic nerds even know who Elektra is. Wonder Woman is one of "the Big Three."

A smaller part of the audience is probably also relieved to see a DC Comics movie that doesn't blow like a pretentious hurricane. As a fan of many of the DC Comics properties, I've been aggravated by the series of mishandled duds we've gotten since The Dark Knight. I haven't seen Green Lantern or Jonah Hex, but I was a fan of both characters back in the day, and I've been avoiding the movies because I expect they'll just make me unhappy. I also haven't seen Suicide Squad, and while I don't have any attachment to those characters, the only reason I'm even slightly interested is curiosity, to see the train-wreck for myself.

So I expect a lot of the enthusiasm for Wonder Woman is, in part, just that it exists at all.

4. Cutlass

See, I liked Elektra. I'm really unclear on why it's so badly considered.

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

For me, it suffered from straying too far from the source material. Aside from being a middling action-superhero movie, it just wasn't Elektra to me. I sort of have the same problem with the Mission: Impossible movies. They're decent action movies, but they bear no resemblance to the original series, and now nobody can make a "real" update of the show, because the name is taken. (The now-canceled series Leverage was kind of a remake of Mission: Impossible. Sorta.)

6. Cutlass

I didn't know the Elektra source material, so I guess that didn't hold back my view of it.

7. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

The character as portrayed in season 2 of Daredevil is a little closer. The Elektra: Assassin miniseries by Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz back in the day was really trippy, which Netflix's Daredevil definitely is not. After getting my brain frazzled by season 1 of Legion, I could imagine Noah Hawley doing Elektra: Assassin right. Bryan Fuller, who did Hannibal for NBC, would be a good choice too.

Spoiler :

In other news, I've apparently been living under a rock and missed the fact that Spider-Man: Homecoming opens this weekend. It's getting decent reviews. 94% Rotten Tomatoes and 73 Metacritic. By comparison, Wonder Woman has a 76 and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has a 67 on Metacritic. Good, but not a masterpiece that transcends the genre. For anyone weary of superheroes, this doesn't appear to be the next The Dark Knight. I never saw either of the Andrew Garfield movies, but the overall impression is that this movie is as good as Raimi's Spider-Man 2, which I liked.

8. Danai Gurira

Danai Gurira Chieftain

I bet the new homecoming spidy will be very good. I watched the trailer so many times and spidy plus iron man is just perfect. Just like the comic.

9. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Entertainment Weekly has published a bunch of photos for Black Panther. Some are stills, some are behind-the-scenes. There's an article too, but I haven't read it, trying to avoid any spoilers.

10. Cutlass

So who has started The Defenders? I'm about half way through it at this point.

11. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Didn't reply to this post in a timely manner. I liked the series overall, although it left me shaking my head in the last 2-3 episodes. It seemed to set up some really cool stuff and then didn't follow through. There were a couple of plot holes I haven't resolved, and I'm not sure I feel like watching it again yet. Some of the setup for Heroes for Hire felt a little forced (if you didn't know that Luke and Danny, Colleen and Misty are supposed to become chums, would you have bought into it here?), but those scenes irked me less than I expected them to. Danny was less irritating than in his own show, but I really dislike the basic reconceptualization of the character that was established in Iron Fist, so it would have been hard for the writers of this series to completely rewrite him. I liked seeing all of the supporting characters, in that "long time, no see" kind of way (I mean, for God's sake, it's been 2 years since Jessica Jones), and I didn't think any of them felt shoehorned in, in a totally artificial way. I'm glad they didn't try to jam Frank in too; setting him aside for now and giving him his own series seemed like the right choice.

On the other hand, Matt and Jessica both continued to be great, and were the high points of the series. I really liked their budding friendship, and I'd love to see either of them appear in the other's show, even if it's just a cameo. One of the rumors around the interwebs is that the final scene of The Defenders sets up Daredevil season 3 for an adaptation of Miller & Mazzuchelli's Born Again storyline. Adapting the comic to the show will obviously require some changes; Karen's role in the comic doesn't quite make sense with how the character has been written in the show, for example. There's also a certain assassin-who-never-misses who has yet to appear in the Netflix series, and his role in the comics has already been overtaken by events in the show. Additionally, Leah Gibson has been cast for Jessica Jones season 2, and the interwebs are alight with intriguing rumors that she's playing Typhoid Mary. In the comics, Typhoid Mary was one of The Kingpin's occasional mercenaries and battled Daredevil. In one incident, she attacked Matt Murdock in his civilian identity and he was rescued by... drumroll... Jessica Jones (and also Luke, but if I were writing for the show I probably wouldn't include him there). Provided season 2 of Jessica Jones comes before season 3 of Daredevil, introducing Typhoid Mary in Jessica's show and then having her attack Matt on behalf of Wilson Fisk, as part of the Born Again story, serves as a perfect bridge to get Jessica and Matt together again. A nerd can dream, anyway.

- - -

In other news, hoo-boy is The Inhumans getting bludgeoned in early reviews. I read just this morning that the showrunner is Scott Buck, who was also the creator and showrunner of Iron Fist. Yikes.

12. Cutlass

Danny is still a dumbass. But at least the writers are self-aware enough so that Luke calls him out on being a dumbass. So they aren't ignorant of the problem. They just need another season of Iron Fist in which he matures a lot more.

I felt the Defenders was too rushed. And they would have done a lot better if they'd slowed it down and taken a lot more time on the details. Jessica's parts seemed too rushed. And she had strength, but no skill, in the fighting. So they need to straighten her out some too.

13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Len Wein, 1948-2017

Stan Lee, Alan Moore, and Frank Miller are the comic-book writers that casual fans probably know. Len Wein was the industry giant that most people have probably never heard of. In 1971-1972, while working as a writer for DC Comics, he invented the characters Swamp Thing and The Human Target, and wrote for things like Batman and the Justice League. It was in 1975 that Wein and artist Dave Cockrum rammed their mighty fists into the comic-book ground and shook the world, with Giant Size X-Men #1. Wein and Cockrum created the new characters Thunderbird, Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, and a little guy named Wolverine (who had actually been introduced the year before in Wein's run on The Incredible Hulk). So, yeah, the guy invented Wolverine.

14. Buster's Uncle

Buster's Uncle AC2 Co-Owner

Had no love for John Byrne, either, IIRC.

Seemed to share part of a brain with Marv Wolfman, though - would have said he kept his part in a jar on his desk, and didn't want to know what Marv did with his. Really did keep candy on his desk.

...I am an endless fountain of useless information... Fun Fact: My mommy actually told me so.

Okay, a hard one: Clark Kent's address is Apt 38b, (may be just 3B) Clinton Ave., Metropolis, state not given.

Somebody google that one and see if I botched it badly, keeping in mind that I'm literally 20 years out of date and they could have changed it...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
  15. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

So Jennifer Lawrence and 20th-Century Fox have gone and stolen the Black Widow movie from Scarlett Johansson and Marvel. :p

16. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Promo art for the CW's Berlanti-verse crossover event has been released. It's by comics artist Phil Jimenez, and is an homage to a classic Justice League of America cover from back in the day. I'm sure I still have that issue in a box somewhere. Those JLA/JSA teamups were a highlight. Heh, 60¢. I remember being upset when the price went up to 75¢. This looks like it could be cool. I can't remember seeing any hints of "Earth-X" in any of the shows, although I haven't kept up with Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

17. Buster's Uncle

Classic? I have that issue too, but you make me feel old calling something published in the 80s a classic. ISTR the JLA parts of that crossover being bad, actually...

18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Yeah, sorry, the '80s comics are basically the "Urtexts" of everything superhero nowadays.

19. Buster's Uncle

Now I may have to go find that crossover -I think I kept them all together with my All-Star Squadrons- and refresh my memory...

20. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I can't help noticing The Ray pictured in the lineup for the Berlanti-verse crossover. I wonder if the other Freedom Fighters will get cameos? btw, "Zari" is Isis, who will join the Legends this season. I don't know if they're not using the name for licensing reasons or because they're worried people will confuse her with the terrorists. These days, I'd believe either story.