Superheroes!

A writer over at Vox makes a case for casting an Asian actor to portray Marvel's Iron Fist in his Netflix show.

I agree wholeheartedly, and not for reasons of political correctness or some kind of affirmative action. I actually think the character would be more interesting if portrayed as an Asian-American man rediscovering his roots (actually, there's no reason Iron Fist has to be a man). To that end, an American, Canadian, English or Australian actor might work best, someone who can speak English as a first language.

Aside from the tired, decades-old, arguably-racist trope of the white guy going to Asia and becoming better at Asian martial arts than the Asians themselves, we've seen that character in superhero fiction recently. Twice, in fact: Batman/Bruce Wayne and Arrow/Oliver Queen (it could be three times, if we add Daredevil/Matt Murdock).

In the real world, Americans rediscovering their ethnic heritage has been a topic lately, with companies that test DNA and television shows about celebrities finding their roots. The relationship between the United States and China, currently and historically, is also fertile and topical ground (K'un L'un isn't China, per se, but it's Chinese in the same way that Sokovia in Age of Ultron was clearly Eastern European).

I've also read some stories about how the Chinese are relating to America and Americans these days. For instance, I read about two Americans, one white and one Chinese-American, who opened an American-style Chinese food restaurant in China, because American-style Chinese food is such a novelty there. I've also heard that a Chinese-American, even just one generation removed from China, is commonly regarded by the Chinese as straightup American, and not Chinese at all. So the stranger-in-a-strange-land story, as hoary as it is, may actually have renewed vitality if the protagonist is Asian-American and not white.

On the show Arrow this girl trained and fought with the Assassins Guild for 5 years to become Black Canary. She gets offed, and her sister takes over, and in a few months of half-assed training is now as good of a fighter, plus has this superpower of some sort of disabling scream she can do come out of nowhere.

:nono:

On the show Arrow this girl trained and fought with the Assassins Guild for 5 years to become Black Canary. She gets offed, and her sister takes over, and in a few months of half-assed training is now as good of a fighter, plus has this superpower of some sort of disabling scream she can do come out of nowhere.
I agree, I don't like how inconsistent the show has been in that regard. Oliver also trained, and literally fought for his life, for years to become Green Arrow. Dig was a soldier, maybe Special Forces or something with years spent in Afghanistan, and became a professional bodyguard after that. Roy was injected with Mirakuru. Nyssa was literally a ninja from birth.

When Laurel initially took over being Black Canary, they did portray her as a neophyte, and we the viewers could accept the implicit assertion that she was talented & motivated. They showed her getting hit by street thugs in fights where Oliver would have just wiped them out. They showed her leaping from a fire escape onto the roof of the bad guys' getaway truck and stumbling and falling and twisting her ankle. They showed her going to Ted "Wildcat" Grant to work her boxing and strength.

And then they stopped all that, and now she's a skilled, competent member of Team Arrow.

And then they did it again, with Thea. Admittedly, Thea has since been through the Lazarus Pits and maybe has some supernatural strength and durability. Laurel hasn't and doesn't, though.

Laurel's "Canary Cry" is a modification to her sister's sonic grenades that Cisco Ramone made while Team Arrow was visiting Team Flash. My take on it is that, to make it "hands free", she has to hit a particular note at a particular volume, and it had to be something she wouldn't normally do while shouting at her father or singing along with her iPod. :lol:

Megalyn Echikunwoke is going to be playing the woman who becomes "Vixen" in an episode of Arrow, possibly as a backdoor pilot to a(nother) spinoff show. I know nothing about Vixen, but I remember Echikunwoke from The 4400 and from those sexy photos she did with Olivia Wilde. :clap: What the heck, the more, the merrier, right?

Worm. All the superheroes you need in a two million word fic, and they actually have a sensible origin.

Looks cool. Too bad there's no ebook version. The FAQ says he/she was thinking about it, but it's been a couple years now and they've moved on to other projects.

Season 2 of Daredevil is due in about 2 months. I don't literally have it circled on my calendar, but only because I don't use a paper calendar anymore.

Looks cool. Too bad there's no ebook version. The FAQ says he/she was thinking about it, but it's been a couple years now and they've moved on to other projects.

He's planning on a sequel to Worm at some point, so I wouldn't give up hope. What's wrong with the web serial version anyway?

He's planning on a sequel to Worm at some point, so I wouldn't give up hope. What's wrong with the web serial version anyway?
Gaps in wi fi coverage. On the subway, mostly. I downloaded an app to my tablet a while ago that lets me save web pages, magazine articles and such, so I can read them later. I don't know if it can recognize and save multi-page documents, but I'll see if that works.

Empire magazine has published a photo from Batman v. Superman that seems to contain a giant mother-lovin' spoiler for anyone familiar with DC Comics lore. (The image is also on the large side, 2048x858.) It's hard to know without seeing the movie; it could be a deliberate misdirect, an 'Easter egg', or foreshadowing to later films.

Spoiler :

You can assume that Zack Snyder really, really likes Frank Miller.

Is the League of Assassins from Arrow the same group that trained Batman in the Dark Knight movies?

Is the League of Assassins from Arrow the same group that trained Batman in the Dark Knight movies?
Yes, although in Batman Begins they were called The League of Shadows, which is a much cooler name.

So, Deadpool!

I have a good friend named Francis. I think he's going to hate me for the next few months, though.

I love the villain and the 80s/90s feel.
Netflix seems to have none of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's trouble with villains. Vincent D'Onofrio and David Tennant both killed it. Season 2 of Daredevil is just around the corner, and I'm looking forward to Jon Bernthal's Frank Castle.

I think these are set photos, not stills. This could be Bernthal working out the blocking & choreography with a stuntman. Still, it gives us a glimpse of Castle's look and fighting style, and unless Bernthal actually got knocked around - which would be cool in itself, suggesting he's doing some of his own stunts - he's wearing makeup on his face.

So, Deadpool!

I have a good friend named Francis. I think he's going to hate me for the next few months, though.
I'm a total Deadpool newb. I've never read so much as a panel of a Deadpool comic. I am, however, a fan of R-rated action-comedies, going back to the days of Beverly Hills Cop. I haven't seen a lot of Ryan Reynolds' movies, and what I've seen have been pretty bad (Blade: Trinity; Safe House). Still, I think he has the right voice, look, and attitude for a raunchy action-comedy, and if the script and direction is up to the job, I think he could be just right for the part.

I'm a total Deadpool newb. I've never read so much as a panel of a Deadpool comic. I am, however, a fan of R-rated action-comedies, going back to the days of Beverly Hills Cop. I haven't seen a lot of Ryan Reynolds' movies, and what I've seen have been pretty bad (Blade: Trinity; Safe House). Still, I think he has the right voice, look, and attitude for a raunchy action-comedy, and if the script and direction is up to the job, I think he could be just right for the part.
He is.

I also don't know the Deadpool mythos. But the trailers and the reviews I've seen so far make the movie seem like it's going to be very entertaining. So I'm looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to Suicide Squad. But I'm less sure if I'm interested in Batman v Superman. :dunno:

I suppose if you've seen the first season you don't need the trailer to know whether or not you're going to see the second, but anyway... With the trailer in parts 1 & 2, I wonder if the 13-episode season will be partitioned in the same way. The Punisher for 6-7 episodes, Elektra for the rest. With 690 minutes, that's like 2 whole movie trilogies - one for each story. Thirteen 53-minute episodes is the running time of six 115-minute films, and because these series are filmed and released all-at-once and without commercial breaks, the comparison is far more apt than it usually is with television series.

Link to video.

Top Bottom