1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Early reviews on Doom Patrol seem positive. It's not quite enough to get me to the DC streaming service yet, but if Swamp Thing turns out well I could see myself subscribing for a month or two and binge-watching their stuff.

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Y'know, I was gonna ask Melissa Benoist out next time I saw her, but you snooze, you lose, I guess...

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Wow. They had great chemistry on screen, but apparently that was just the tip of the iceberg. Good for them. Sorry Egon.

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Keri Russell and Matt Rhys from The Americans are another couple I can think of that came out of a television series that I watched. I feel like there have been others, but I can't remember who.

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Well, it was kind of inevitable, wasn't it? Bernie Sanders is running again. No, wait, sorry. I mean, Jessica Jones and The Punisher have been canceled by Netflix. Marvel Television exec Jeph Loeb quoted Battlin' Jack Murdock, writing,

More grist for the rumor mill. I'd like to see another season of Daredevil in its current form. I'll pass judgment on Jessica Jones after I see season 3, but season 2 wasn't enough to make me demand its revival on Hulu or Disney+. I'll never know why Iron Fist wasted so much time dicking around, and it was just beginning to get interesting when it was canceled, but that's not exactly an endorsement on a 3rd season. If they did another season with Colleen Wing as the Iron Fist, I'd definitely watch it. I'm on the fence about Luke Cage and The Punisher. I liked them well enough, but their cancellations don't make me feel dead inside. Like Iron Fist, The Defenders was almost good, although its growth curve went in the other direction: It started off promisingly and then drove into a ditch. As for the supporting characters... I don't find it difficult to imagine a good Daughters of the Dragon starring Jessica Henwick and Simone Missick. I think they both have "it." Season 3 of Jessica Jones will tell us whether Trish becomes Hellcat, but I'm not convinced that Rachael Taylor could carry her own show.

Cutlass likes this.
  6. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Highly recommend Alita: Battle Angel! Definitely one of my favorite movies of the past several years.

7. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Rotten Tomatoes has an article about the first screening of Captain Marvel. It's basically twitter reactions from critics without any details, but so far it is overwhelmingly positive.

8. Laurana Kanan

Reviews from critics are basically worthless to me as a moviegoer.

9. Timsup2nothin

I agree with that in a general way, but sometimes there are circumstances, and this is one of those times. There are genres that critics almost always pan, just on some weird 'critic principle,' and movies based on comic book source material are high on that list. So for critics to overcome their predisposition and say anything even close to good about a comic book movie can be taken as a strong sign.

Similarly, there are those actors/directors that critics just fall in love with. If they make a movie and the critics come out doing anything short of the usual fawning you know that it has to be a real stinker.

10. Laurana Kanan

There have been a few comic book genre movies that have received positive critiques that I didn't particularly think were that great - good movies, sure, just not particularly deserving of the effusive praise. Black Panther & Wonder Women come to mind.

So I don't really care what critics have to say, nor particularly what the box office predictions are. There's an advanced screening coming up that I'll probably attend, but if it wasn't for the fact that this movie will be intrinsically linked to the rest of the Marvel Universe and essentially the penultimate chapter of a 10+ year saga, I likely wouldn't waste my time seeing it.

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

There's some pre-production work going on for a Batgirl movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6718412/

But there's limited information about it beyond speculation.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-should-could-draw-inspiration-comics-1176731

A couple of guys are rumoring that Kristin Stewart may star. Which would be terrible casting, IMO.

She's not tall enough, young enough, curvy enough, or, from what I've seen, anywhere near good enough of an actress for the role. I don't even think she's really that popular. Except with people who like bad young adult vampire stories.

12. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I'm not familiar with the version of Batgirl they're using for this movie, but she sure looks like a teenager in that artwork. I'm not sure I'd buy Stewart as a high school student, even by Hollywood standards, but on the whole, I'm not overly concerned with actors physically resembling the character when it comes to an adaptation of a book or a novel. Just about every single time people have reacted negatively to casting news, we've all been proven wrong. Michael Keaton. Hugh Jackman. Heath Ledger. I thought Scarlett Johansson and Chris Evans were questionable choices for Black Widow and Captain America. I was still scarred by Jessica Alba and Ioan Gruffudd in Fantastic Four, I guess :lol: (although I thought Evans' Johnny Storm was the only good thing about that movie).

I'm also not real familiar with Stewart's work. The only performance of hers that I've seen was in The Runaways (2010), which I remember liking well enough, but I can't say I was blown away or anything. I think she got good press for Personal Shopper (2016), but I haven't seen it.

As for who'd make a good Batgirl, I could only name the 'usual suspects' - Hailee Steinfeld, Chloe Moretz, Dakota Fanning, Abigail Breslin. I think at this point, casting a good actor and getting a good script is paramount. The rest can be figured out (or screwed up) by the director, costumers, cinematographer, stunt people and effects teams.

13. Cutlass

Steinfeld is taller. The others range from short to very short. And I know Hollywood can play around with that. But there's limits, unless you're going full on special effects. The Barbara Gordon Batgirl comics I've seen never have her as a short girl. The Stephanie Brown Batgirl may be shorter, but not Chloe Moretz short, who is barely over 5'.

Bella Thorne sorta has the look. And is already usually red haired.

14. Timsup2nothin

And would clearly have no complaints regarding revealing costumes.

15. Cutlass

What she sometimes wears out in public, when she knows she'll be face to face with paparazzi, could not be posted on this forum even when the Babe Thread was allowed.

16. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Never heard of her, but sometimes that works too. A friend of mine likes to say that Marvel hired Thor to play Thor.

17. Cutlass

She was a Disney girl a few years ago. So, you know, turned out weird. I don't know that she's done anything high profile that isn't Disney.

18. Timsup2nothin

Well, that fits. They hired Tony Stark to play Tony Stark.

19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

One of the fan theories swirling around is that the MCU is setting up an adaptation of Secret Invasion and that some of the existing characters have been Skrulls this whole time. Meh. I never read Secret Invasion, but that doesn't sound like a compelling plot-twist on the whole series to me. As part of a given film, a Skrull impersonates one of the characters we already know... okay, if it's done well, sure. But as a "ret-con" of the MCU, or even of just one character? I think I'd be annoyed. And they've sort of already done something like that, with the whole HYDRA-was-hiding-in-plain-sight-all-along thing.

Also, evidently there's a scene in Captain Marvel where some baboon tells Captain Marvel that she should smile more... and then some baboons in real life said, after the trailers were released, that she should smile more. *facepalm* I tell ya, there are days when I'm embarrassed to have a [male appendage]. :lol:

20. Laurana Kanan

I don't see how that's a sexist thing, she does need to smile more. Brie has all the charisma of a baboon and I'm embarrassed for all women because of some of her comments. ;)