Superheroes!

I don't see how that's a sexist thing, she does need to smile more. Brie has all the charisma of a baboon and I'm embarrassed for all women because of some of her comments. ;)

I've heard very little about her. And nothing about any comments she may have made.

I don't see how that's a sexist thing, she does need to smile more. Brie has all the charisma of a baboon and I'm embarrassed for all women because of some of her comments. ;)

The generally accepted point that makes it a "sexist thing" is the tradition of "lantern jawed stoicism" providing a path to stardom for male actors. Nobody ever told John Wayne he needed to smile more, or Clint Eastwood, or any number of male "action stars" through the generations who probably smiled a whole lot less than Brie does.

You surely didn't just try to "explain" sexism to me...:rolleyes:

That is what the many people who are saying the comments about her not smiling are sexist are referring to. If you don't want an explanation, don't claim not to know.

If you don't want an explanation, don't claim not to know.
I don't see it as sexist at all. So I really don't care what the perpetually offended are referring to. I certainly didn't "want" or need someone to explain it to me especially in such a condescending fashion as if I were a simpleton.

I don't see it as sexist at all. So I really don't care what the perpetually offended are referring to. I certainly didn't "want" or need someone to explain it to me especially in such a condescending fashion as if I were a simpleton.

I took "I don't see how..." to mean "I don't see how..." not "I don't agree with..."

Funny, how someone who claims to not appreciate the "perpetually offended" gets offended by what they say being taken to mean exactly what they say.

In future I will try to be painstakingly aware of your apparently delicate sensibilities and consider that you may not be speaking clearly before answering you.

Superheroes... For a while now, I've wondered how long this superhero movie boom can last. Don't people get bored of it? I know I did

While the Marvel cinematic universe has produced some pretty good movies (Thor Ragnarok, Deadpool and the new x-men movies), overall their movies are starting seem samey and boring to me. I'm not even excited about Avengers Endgame. I mean I guess I'll have to go see it, because I have friends who want to see it, but I feel like if it never got made then nothing of value would be lost. I never read the comics, and to be honest these movies didn't endear a lot of the heroes to me (Captain America movies in particular have some curious messages).

Then there's the DC universe. What can I say about it? It's even more boring than the Marvel universe. Aquaman was a step in the right direction I guess, but other than that I have nothing good to say about this series of movies.

I took "I don't see how..." to mean "I don't see how..." not "I don't agree with..."

Funny, how someone who claims to not appreciate the "perpetually offended" gets offended by what they say being taken to mean exactly what they say.

In future I will try to be painstakingly aware of your apparently delicate sensibilities and consider that you may not be speaking clearly before answering you.
Are you trying to gaslight other people as "offended" when they point out that you're whining for no reason?

Superheroes... For a while now, I've wondered how long this superhero movie boom can last. Don't people get bored of it? I know I did
For me yes...and no. I guess it depends on what is classified as a superhero movie. If strictly U.S. comic-based, than yes, it feels like it's starting to get a bit stale. I wouldn't mind if Marvel, for example, stepped back for several years and let the property cool. However, if Japanese Manga were included, I have to say that I absolutely fell in love with Battle Angel Alita. She is a character I instantly connected with and a world/mythos I found incredibly interesting.

Feel free to respond or not, however you want - doesn't really affect me in any way. I actually find it humorous, and perhaps a bit sad, that you would feel the need to insult and denigrate me. Funny thing is, the exact thing you tried to "explain" to me as sexist is the exact thing you're doing to me now. But, don't worry I won't take offense. ;) A simple, "Sorry I misinterpreted what you wrote," would have sufficed.

Then there's the DC universe. What can I say about it? It's even more boring than the Marvel universe. Aquaman was a step in the right direction I guess, but other than that I have nothing good to say about this series of movies.
Whatsisname over at Warner Bros said they're using Wonder Woman and Aquaman as templates, moving away from the interlinked universe and just telling individual stories. I'm not sure the larger story was the reason BvS, Justice League, and Suicide Squad crashed and burned, but I suppose there's something to be said for a "mental reboot." I never saw Aquaman, but the trailers for Shazam look promising. Maybe not promising enough to get me to actually go out and spend $15 on it, but all movies face that hurdle these days, not just the superhero stuff. I honestly can't remember what I last saw in a theater.

For me yes...and no. I guess it depends on what is classified as a superhero movie. If strictly U.S. comic-based, than yes, it feels like it's starting to get a bit stale. I wouldn't mind if Marvel, for example, stepped back for several years and let the property cool. However, if Japanese Manga were included, I have to say that I absolutely fell in love with Battle Angel Alita. She is a character I instantly connected with and a world/mythos I found incredibly interesting.
I mostly meant US comic based superhero franchises, and even then there are exceptions (I liked Netflix Daredevil). As for manga/anime it's a different story. I don't really know much about any of the original mangas/animes, other than that I watched Deathnote and One Punch Man recently. From what little I've seen, there is definitely potential here. Deathnote (anime, not the movie) actually had a pretty clever plot (then again it's not about superheroes, is it?). As far as Hollywood adaptations go, Alita was, in my opinion, mediocre. Some people say that I would have gotten more out of it if I'd been familiar with the source material, and I believe them. I feel like the story was missing some pieces. I did however like the Ghost In the Shell (movie), despite not being familiar with the source material. The movie had an interesting feel to it, I like how the movie looked, and the story was refreshing.

Whatsisname over at Warner Bros said they're using Wonder Woman and Aquaman as templates, moving away from the interlinked universe and just telling individual stories. I'm not sure the larger story was the reason BvS, Justice League, and Suicide Squad crashed and burned, but I suppose there's something to be said for a "mental reboot." I never saw Aquaman, but the trailers for Shazam look promising. Maybe not promising enough to get me to actually go out and spend $15 on it, but all movies face that hurdle these days, not just the superhero stuff. I honestly can't remember what I last saw in a theater.

I guess I should stop ranting about comic book movies, because it's a never-ending well, but I never got the appeal of these hero mash-ups. It's like they're a special effects spectacle, and that's it. As for Shazam, I have a friend who's really hyped up about it. Maybe I will see it, but I just can't get into the hype.

As for movies in general, I get what you're saying. I probably wouldn't see any of these in the theater either, but me and some of my friends have made a habit of getting together to watch movies or eat out every now and then.

Superhero movies, and other monster budget special effects fests, are the only things I go to theaters to see. Big screen and surround sound in the living room just doesn't measure up in that circumstance.

As far as Hollywood adaptations go, Alita was, in my opinion, mediocre. Some people say that I would have gotten more out of it if I'd been familiar with the source material, and I believe them. I feel like the story was missing some pieces. I did however like the Ghost In the Shell (movie), despite not being familiar with the source material. The movie had an interesting feel to it, I like how the movie looked, and the story was refreshing.
Oh, that's interesting. I had the exact opposite feeling for both. I also remember at the Ghost screening, the comments to the studio rep afterwards were pretty negative. I didn't really know much about either properties before seeing the movies so I'm not sure if being more familiar with them would have changed my opinion. Both worlds were pretty interesting to me on their face, but with everything else I felt they diverged quite a bit. The story, characters, acting, & cinematography were more engaging and over-all superior in Alita imo.

Superhero movies, and other monster budget special effects fests, are the only things I go to theaters to see. Big screen and surround sound in the living room just doesn't measure up in that circumstance.

Same here. I don't even see all the big budget CGI stuff in the theater, but very rarely see anything else there.

I guess I should stop ranting about comic book movies, because it's a never-ending well, but I never got the appeal of these hero mash-ups. It's like they're a special effects spectacle, and that's it. As for Shazam, I have a friend who's really hyped up about it. Maybe I will see it, but I just can't get into the hype.

As for movies in general, I get what you're saying. I probably wouldn't see any of these in the theater either, but me and some of my friends have made a habit of getting together to watch movies or eat out every now and then.

Superhero movies, all superhero stuff really, is silly escapism. The best of it it, like good scifi and fantasy, is more about an exploration of the human condition than anything meant to be taken at face value. That works for some people, and not for most other people. I like the mashups because of the interactions between the characters. Which can be done well or poorly. Avengers certainly did it far better than Justice League.

Welp, just watched Deadpool 2. I thought the first one was mostly lame, and this one lived up to its title by being twice as lame...but the credit cut scene was so hilariously funny that the entire thing was worthwhile.

Cute article here.

The History of Breasts in Comic Books
By K. Thor Jensen 10.30.2017 :: 12:00PM EST kthorjensen

Comic books – or at least Western superhero comic books – have always celebrated an idealized version of the human body. Male heroes are chiseled specimens of muscle with less body fat than an Olympic swimmer and abs so defined they stick out through layers of spandex. Every inch of their physical form is designed to fight evil.

Female heroes, though, are a little different. Instead of being built like bodybuilders or athletes, they tend to resemble girlie mag models or Baywatch babes. Sure, they’re slim and trim but you’re hard-pressed to find one that’s not sporting a massive rack. Anyone who knows anything about strong women can tell you that big boobs aren’t that ergonomic.

How did that happen? Who decided that huge boobs were the default female anatomy for superheroines, and how have cup sizes changed through the years? Come with us as we seriously explore this sensitive subject, with maybe a little tweak or two along the way to keep things lively.

Early Days
The first superheroines from the 1940s – characters like Sun Girl, the Blonde Phantom and of course Wonder Woman – had reasonably realistic builds. As their characters generally weren’t expected to resort to fisticuffs and feats of strength, they remained mostly slender throughout the next few decades. There were, of course, exceptions – Phantom Lady, published by Quality Comics, was illustrated by artist Matt Baker in a revealing costume that was designed to distract the crooks she fought.

The idea of sex appeal as part of a female hero’s power set wasn’t explored all that much back then, and with the dawn of the Comics Code Authority in 1954 Phantom Lady got covered up and eventually canceled. The archetype of the “femme fatale,” a bold and dangerous woman who wielded sexuality like a weapon,

In the 1960s, DC implemented an in-house editorial policy that read, in part, “Women, when used in plot structure, should be secondary in importance, and should be drawn realistically, without exaggeration of feminine physical qualities.”

The King’s Queen
No artist is as influential in American comic books as Jack Kirby. His career spans half a century and features the creation of pretty much the entire Marvel universe and a big chunk of the DC one to boot. Kirby brought a drawing style that stepped away from the mannered realism of the day in favor of a muscular, abstract vision of the human form. His anatomy was unlike anything on earth, but all of Kirby’s figures burst with energy.

That extended to his women, too. In 1971, he created Big Barda – an Amazonian warrior from the dark planet Apokolips who defected from the side of evil to partner with Mr. Miracle. With a body based on zaftig singer Lainie Kazan, Barda represented a new direction in comic book pulchritude. Sure, she was stacked, but she had a frame that matched, with broad shoulders and hips. Kirby, always the innovator, knew it was possible to make women beautiful and powerful, but few artists followed his lead.

More Power
DC Comics introduced Power Girl in the pages of All Star Comics in 1976 as a way to get Superman out of that title and inject some fresh blood into the adventures of the Justice Society. Wally Wood, who was the artist for the character’s debut, decided to push her figure in a thicker direction than most of the era’s mod-flavored heroines. Clad in a skin-tight white singlet with a big scoop (and later a hole) cut for her cleavage, Power Girl
was all about the boobs.

According to writer Jimmy Palmiotti, Wood made a bet with a studiomate that he could draw PG’s chest bigger every issue and DC editorial wouldn’t notice. If you look at that original run, her cup size does swell issue after issue. After All Star was canceled, the character stuck around as the company’s boobiest hero. Artists like Bart Sears continued to depict her as top-heavy, but others like Alex Ross made her more muscular to balance them out.

In the 1970s, Marvel attempted to win female readers with a number of titles, including Ms. Marvel (whose heroine was ostensibly feminist), Dazzler and She-Hulk. All of those characters still stuck to the now-traditional body type of a narrow waist and shoulders capped off by large breasts.

To the Extreme
The 90s were all about pushing the envelope. It was the decade where silicone breast implants finally took off, and now seemingly everybody in Hollywood had a perfectly spherical pair of D-cups. Characters who had previously boasted more reasonable anatomy started to puff and swell.

The apotheosis of this trend came in the form of artist Jim Balent, who started drawing DC’s Catwoman book in 1993 and stayed on it until 1999. Previous interpretations of the thieving villain and sometimes romantic interest of Bruce Wayne portrayed her as lithe and, well, catlike. Balent threw that out the window, wrapping her purple bodysuit around a massive set of hoons and twisting her into poses that showed them off at every opportunity.

When Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke took over the character in 2001, they deliberately returned her to her more agile build. Balent went on to self-publish titles like Tarot: Witch Of The Black Rose where his love for massive hooters could roam unfettered.

Back to Reality
Over the last decade or so, superheroes have moved out of their ancestral home in comics and onto the big screen and TV. That’s also created a rebound effect as publishers try to keep their characters closer to their movie appearances. For male heroes, it’s not as difficult – they just have to shrink them down a bit, because actors are pretty ripped these days. Women, though, simply don’t come built like that in the real world, and if they’ve had the surgery to get there they typically aren’t known for their acting chops.

So you see actresses like Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and Jennifer Garner as Elektra – women who are slim and muscular but with normal human-sized breasts. And fans don’t seem to complain about their physique like they did about Michael Keaton as Batman.

Behind the Bra
There’s actually a pretty fascinating Reddit thread where this question is hashed over. Some suggest that superhuman strength allows comic book women to ignore the discomfort of having huge boobs, while others connect the genetic tinkering done by the Celestials on the Earthlings of the Marvel universe with a propensity for increased bust size. My favorite theory comes from user “expert02,” who states:

Having superpowers usually takes a lot of energy. And humans get energy from food. The superheroine’s body “assumes” any child will have similar energy/food requirements as itself, so the breasts grow larger to contain the extra milk for the child.
That’s a new one on me. Whatever the reason, the great breast debate rages on. Some interesting recent developments include heroes in an even wider range of body types, like Valiant’s Faith who has big boobs, but a frame that’s built to support them. At the same time, a conservative backlash to that diversity is building, with fans devoted to big boobies claiming that they’re being put down by the PC police.

We’re firm believers that all boobs are beautiful, so hopefully, the comics industry will catch up with the real world.

https://www.geek.com/comics/the-history-of-breasts-in-comic-books-1720943/

Cute article here.

The History of Breasts in Comic Books
By K. Thor Jensen 10.30.2017 :: 12:00PM EST kthorjensen

https://www.geek.com/comics/the-history-of-breasts-in-comic-books-1720943/
I haven't read many comics in the last couple of decades, so I'm not sure how women are being portrayed these days, but I've been told it's a million times better than it used to be. I remember finding Starfire, as drawn by George Perez, to be a little over the top (pardon the pun), even as a horny 12-year-old. I expect the changes to the typical portrayal of superheroines may owe something to the increasing number of women creating comics. I also wonder how much the explosion of live-action movies and tv shows has impacted the artwork. I think it was mentioned, maybe not in this thread, how Brie Larsen didn't want to go anywhere near the classic Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel outfits. I was thinking also about Elizabeth Olsen - who is not a flat-chested woman - not even trying to look like The Scarlet Witch from the comics. I'm not sure what the Scarlet Witch looks like in the comics these days, but back in the '80s her costume was ridiculous.

I haven't read many comics in the last couple of decades, so I'm not sure how women are being portrayed these days, but I've been told it's a million times better than it used to be. I remember finding Starfire, as drawn by George Perez, to be a little over the top (pardon the pun), even as a horny 12-year-old. I expect the changes to the typical portrayal of superheroines may owe something to the increasing number of women creating comics. I also wonder how much the explosion of live-action movies and tv shows has impacted the artwork. I think it was mentioned, maybe not in this thread, how Brie Larsen didn't want to go anywhere near the classic Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel outfits. I was thinking also about Elizabeth Olsen - who is not a flat-chested woman - not even trying to look like The Scarlet Witch from the comics. I'm not sure what the Scarlet Witch looks like in the comics these days, but back in the '80s her costume was ridiculous.

Olson isn't nearly as busty as she looks in Avengers. It's mostly costuming and makeup. Having been looking at some fairly recent Batman and related graphic novels, Catwoman, Batwoman, and a few of the others are often drawn.... larger than life.

Costuming was definitely changed for the movies. X-Men as drawn is extreme. The movies costumes are nothing like that. Other than Johannsen and Olson there haven't been too many women in the MCU movies. You may recall that in the Toby McGuire Spiderman movies Kirsten Dunst's breasts were displayed as much as PG-13 allowed for.

Top Bottom