1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Just finished Venom, which I got the disk out of the library. Not that good. hasn't got much of anything to do with any Venom story I saw before.

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Paste have posted their "Top 100 Superhero Movies of All Time." Let the fisticuffs begin.

#100 - You know, Adrienne Barbeau has signed up for a role in the upcoming Swamp Thing series for the DC streaming service.
    #98 - There's no way Alec Baldwin's The Shadow was worse than Blade: Trinity and Batman Forever. I'd kind of forgotten about Batman Forever. Thank you, Paste. And while I haven't seen Green Lantern, from what I've been told, that was worse than The Shadow too. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was definitely better than Batman Forever, and that's not even on this list.
    #90 & #85 - I kind of liked Hulk and Hancock, or at least I didn't hate them like most people did. I haven't seen either one since they were in theaters, though.
    #79 - Until season 2 of Netflix's Daredevil came along, I maintained that Jolie in Wanted was the best version of Elektra. Might still be. Jolie or Yung? Tough call.
    #64 - Props for including The Crow as a superhero movie. There was another article I read somewhere recently about the most underrated movie villains, and Top Dollar was the first one who sprang to my mind. "Will you [flipping] die, already?"
    #63 - Spider-Man 3 was definitely worse than The Shadow.
    #48 - Props for including The Matrix in a list of superhero movies, but it's way too low. Also, putting the whole trilogy in as one is a little weak.
    #47 - Blade is ranked much too low, even if we're not giving these movies credit for their era and we're judging them all from the heights of 2019.
    #22 - Nomak in Blade II is another underrated villain, imo. Did you know Luke Goss was in some kind of pop band, back in the day? With his brother. Called Bros. I just learned that a few weeks ago.
    #28 - Is Dredd a superhero movie? Hrm. I'll have to think about that. Maybe I should watch it again. I should definitely watch it again.
    #12 - Is Guardians of the Galaxy a superhero movie? I mean, it's basically Star Wars, isn't it? I don't think Star Wars is a superhero movie, even though it kind of is.
    #6 - I think I need to watch Spider-Man 2 again. I heard it mentioned somewhere else recently, in another list of best superhero movies of all time. Some people even want Alfred Molina to reprise his role in the MCU.
    #1 - The Incredibles was my favorite superhero movie of all time for a while. I'm not sure it still is, but I admire the chutzpah to put that at the top even after The Dark Knight and all the MCU movies.

3. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Agreed on all points.

Both are totally superhero movies. Starlord is like a half-god or something. Rocket is a smart talking racoon. That's superhero-ish. The real question is why didn't they include Star Wars movies.

The Incredibles is great but only The Dark Knight and Infinity War are worthy #1s. Speaking of which, Infinity War at #16?!?!?! :nono:

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I always find it funny when someone makes a "top X of ALL TIME whatevers" list and treats the 80-100 ranks as a cesspool. The panning of the lower entries was certainly accurate, but would have served much better as "why this didn't make the list"

5. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

I wouldn't have called Guardians' a superhero movie until all the characters were recruited into Infinity War.

6. Timsup2nothin

Well, the source material is a comic book.

7. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Official Trailer

New Poster

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    EgonSpengler and BenitoChavez like this.
  8. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I wonder what the white uniforms are about? The interwebz is abuzz with the shot of Clint and his daughter.

(Not a spoiler, an image)
    Spoiler :

9. Timsup2nothin

Stark Industries space armor, limited prototype run. For his friends.

10. Laurana Kanan

I read it was something to do with protection while in the Quantum Realm & Time Vortexes.

11. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

So, somebody forgot to put Danai Gurira's name on the poster? *facepalm* I mean, good heavens, even if it was an honest mistake, they couldn't have made an honest mistake that wasn't racist and sexist? "Whoops! We forgot Chris Evans!"

12. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Uh-oh. Frank Miller is writing Superman: Year One. Y'know, in case Zack Snyder's version of the character wasn't cynical and violent enough for you. :lol:

I'm not sure what "DC Black Label" is.

Ah, here's the description from the DC website:

"DC Black Label is a brand-new publishing imprint dedicated to giving premier writers and artists the chance to expand on DC’s unrivaled characters with unique, standalone stories set outside DC continuity. The imprint will be DC’s home for classy, collectible superhero stories aimed at mature readers looking to be challenged and surprised as they’re entertained, with an eye for the unique and remarkable."

13. Laurana Kanan

:rolleyes:

14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

You think it was deliberate? It's possible, I guess, but I expect it was just an oversight.

15. Laurana Kanan

No, I think it was a simple oversight and the "controversy" has been overblown. So saying it was an honest mistake, but was somehow racist/sexist, or could be construed that way, is farcical to me. (Not that you meant it that way, of course.)

16. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

There's an official series of novelizations out or coming out as well, at least 4 of them announced, which I read the Catwoman one, and it is far outside of continuity with any Catwoman I encountered elsewhere.

17. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Supergirl

Jon Cryer's Lex Luthor was actually not too shabby. I admit that I haven't ever seen a satisfying live-action interpretation of Lex Luthor. I'm not sure why that character should be so hard to handle, but maybe Duckie is the man to break the curse. I suppose it must be tricky to write a character who's extraordinarily smart and creative, especially a villain, because you can't have his "super power" be that the heroes suddenly become very stupid whenever he's around. For any character to do something clever, the writers have to be clever enough to think of it. And if you set out with the goal of making a character look like a cunning genius, I bet you could easily craft a scenario that comes across as artificial, that feels like it's only unfolding that way to make the villain seem like a cunning genius. You have to steer the heroes into the jaws of the villain's Machiavellian plot without looking like you're steering them into it, and without making them look like they just slipped on a banana.

Much as Angelina Jolie in Wanted was for a while my favorite portrayal of Elektra, I think Jeff Bridges in Iron Man was my favorite portrayal of Lex Luthor. The businessman without a conscience. Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk is another example of that type, although he's more of a loose-cannon than Lex Luthor should be, imo, and less of a technological wizard. Villains like Fisk and Hannibal Lecter present a physical threat that doesn't work the same for Lex, especially not for Lex's traditional adversary. Luthor and Superman also don't have the Mozart-and-Salieri thing that Obadiah Stane has with Tony Stark. I think Smallville tried to build a relationship between Lex and Clark, but I didn't watch that show enough to know how well it worked.

I also liked seeing an episode focus on Lena. McGrath's accent has improved, her performance in the episode was pretty good, and I could probably watch her for 43 minutes straight even if she wasn't doing or saying anything at all. Until I saw the teaser for next week's episode, I'd completely forgotten about the whole "Red Daughter" story they started teasing at the beginning of the season.

18. Timsup2nothin

I agree on all points, but think that you missed the big picture.

Yes, portraying the genius of Luthor has to be managed somehow without it just being that everyone around him gets dumbed down to make him seem smart.

Now, how many people didn't know the first instant that he showed up, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that Lex would end up using the cure behind Lena's back? How many people didn't say, when Lex was sending her off to save Jimmy, "okay, here it comes"?

So how did Lena, who is portrayed as by far the smartest satellite in Supergirl's orbit (possibly excepting Brainiac) fall for this scheme?

So, while I agree that it is difficult and somehow has to be done to make a good portrayal of Lex Luther, I disagree that they accomplished it, or even came close, really.

19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I agree that they didn't quite pull it off. I think I saw what they were aiming for, that Lex was able to manipulate Lena emotionally.

And you're right, they could have had Lena realize that Lex was manipulating her into testing the serum before she used it on James, because she still would have had to do it. Part of the cunning villain's genius is that, by the time the hero sees what's happening, she's caught in the trap. When the power at the hospital goes out, Lex could say something like, "Oh, isn't that unfortunate timing?" as Lena runs out the door with the serum. Lex is smart enough to know that Lena is smart enough to figure him out, so he would arrange to force her to test the serum. That's why Lex picked James in the first place. (You could also have Lex mention off-handedly that he thought about having "that Kara Danvers girl" get hit by a car, but he wasn't sure that Lena liked her enough to use the serum on her.) I think the Miss Tessmacher reveal afterward would still work, and would still explain how Lex got the 2nd syringe from Lena's lab.

20. Timsup2nothin

Lex got the second syringe because Lena didn't put him in an airtight box sucking oxygen through a straw when she left, which anyone but a complete idiot could see was the only way to stop his totally obvious plans.

But, I'm perhaps judging too harshly.