Superheroes!

Avengers: Endgame: Someone put together an interactive graphic to try to sort out some of the headache-inducing effects of that movie's conclusion. Spoilers, obv. I really want to re-watch the scene with Bruce and The Ancient One on the roof, to see if it sheds any useful light on what happened subsequently. I enjoyed the movie a lot while I was watching it - and the parts that I enjoyed haven't dimmed with time - but the more I think about what the movie did, the more aggravated with it I get.

What are they doing with all the DC properties? They're apparently mostly in different universes, so it doesn't matter that they're incompatible with one another?
It seems like it. The CW shows are on 2, maybe 3, different Earths, but share a 'universe' (and the characters have visited, or been visited by, several more Earths). Presumably they'll all be on one, shared Earth at the end of Crisis. I don't know if it's been confirmed that Black Lightning will be involved in that, and I don't know if that show has ever acknowledged the existence of other Earths. I also don't know if the streaming service shows are in the same universe with the movies, or in a third one. Theoretically, fans could be telling themselves these last few years that the movies are, in fact, in the same 'universe' as the CW shows, but on other Earths; however, I think The CW's Crisis event will pull that rug out from under us.

Where is 1983 Magento? :p

Michael Fassbender is 42 right now. In 8 years that makes him 50 which isn't too far off what Ian McKellan was in 2000 which was 61.

Avengers: Endgame: Someone put together an interactive graphic to try to sort out some of the headache-inducing effects of that movie's conclusion. Spoilers, obv. I really want to re-watch the scene with Bruce and The Ancient One on the roof, to see if it sheds any useful light on what happened subsequently. I enjoyed the movie a lot while I was watching it - and the parts that I enjoyed haven't dimmed with time - but the more I think about what the movie did, the more aggravated with it I get.

That graphic has the best explanation for where Captain America ends up that I've seen. I don't think the Bruce & The Ancient One scene resolves any of the plot issues.

Spoiler :
TAO says that removing infinity stones from a timeline creates branches and Bruce says replacing the stones back to their original time and place once they are done won't affect those branches. They don't really go into what other actions could create branches or how to resolve them (like 2012 Loki taking the 2012 space stone).

That graphic has the best explanation for where Captain America ends up that I've seen.
It's a clever idea, and one I hadn't seen anywhere else, but I wouldn't be satisfied with it. It's not his fault, though. Part of the problem the movie is leaving me with is that I haven't read, or thought of, an explanation that I would be satisfied with.

I don't think the Bruce & The Ancient One scene resolves any of the plot issues.
I don't think it does, either. I'm just grasping at straws.

On the bright side, I do find the period between the two movies to be compelling story material. I sort of like that Endgame didn't erase that hole in everyone's lives, even though it's a staggering event with mind-boggling consequences. For example, one could compile a list of all the characters from the Netflix series, randomly dust 40%-60% of them, then write some fanfic about the survivors.

From the sound of things, the Dark Phoenix posters are better than the movie. I love that Wonder Woman poster. I think I heard Kevin Smith say that he'd seen the costume for WW84 and it looked brighter to him than the ones she's worn so far.

A few eps into season 3 of Jessica Jones: I obviously didn't expect Trish to go full-Hellcat, but I'm waiting for some thug to grab a handful of that scarf she wears. She needs a Melvin Potter-type to make her some body armor.

Watching Trish this season, it occurred to me that she's been training in Krav Maga since season 1, but now that she's a vigilante, she doesn't look like she's using Krav Maga. Where'd she learn those flip-kicks and [stuff]? A 'grim n' gritty' comic book is still a comic book, I guess.

I've appreciated the overall attention to detail in these shows. For example, while Jess has super-strength, the actress and the choreographers didn't forget that she's kind of a dork, isn't much of an athlete, and doesn't know how to fight. There's a moment in season 1, I think, where she jumps 3 stories straight up, but then clambers awkwardly over the railing of the fire escape. Those little details can really sell me on a show like this. There was a moment in season 1 of Daredevil where Claire tosses Matt his sweatshirt and he grabs it out of the air, just as anyone might, except that she was behind him and the actor didn't even turn his head. The actors must have worked out the timing of the toss on a word in the dialogue, so he could grab the shirt without looking. It's a nothing moment, but it was a nice little detail that showed us the writers remembered that the character has 360-degree 'radar sense' all the time, not just when he's fighting.

So, anyway, I wish we'd seen Trish practicing capoeira in season 1, instead of Krav Maga.

Tonight's Agents of Shield, they obviously took inspiration from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode 'Restless'.

Spoiler :

How do you rapidly jump around from one setting to another and another and another?

This is where the actual physical sets are in the studio building, and you just go from one to the next to the next.

Right, the Speed Force people can friggin' move through solid objects and travel through time and stuff. Reverse Flash kills people just by passing his hand through their chest, which of course he could do so fast that a non-Speedster would appear to be standing still. He simply couldn't be a villain for anyone other than The Flash. Imagine if Reverse Flash decided to get back at Green Arrow: Bystanders across Star City would see a brief, ahem, flash of red lightning and then every member of Team Arrow would simultaneously drop dead of sudden, inexplicable cardiac arrest.

I finished Jessica Jones s3. Overall I thought it was pretty good. Although I still can't care about Hogarth's or Malcome's personal lives anywhere near the extent to which they get air time.

Right, the Speed Force people can friggin' move through solid objects and travel through time and stuff. Reverse Flash kills people just by passing his hand through their chest, which of course he could do so fast that a non-Speedster would appear to be standing still. He simply couldn't be a villain for anyone other than The Flash. Imagine if Reverse Flash decided to get back at Green Arrow: Bystanders across Star City would see a brief, ahem, flash of red lightning and then every member of Team Arrow would simultaneously drop dead of sudden, inexplicable cardiac arrest.

Villains have always been customized for the hero they fight. I like that Marvel frequently acknowledges that as just a fact of the media, like when Black Widow says "I'd sit this one out Cap. This is monsters and magic and nothing we were ever trained for." Without Thor, Loki is unbeatable. Well, the Hulk might argue the point, but you know what I mean.

But, yeah, The Flash really gets understated a lot and when you consider what a speedster actually can do it's hard not to say "okay, too much." Captain Cold is going to shoot him with a freeze ray? Did someone forget the moving target issue in that?

Villains have always been customized for the hero they fight. I like that Marvel frequently acknowledges that as just a fact of the media, like when Black Widow says "I'd sit this one out Cap. This is monsters and magic and nothing we were ever trained for." Without Thor, Loki is unbeatable. Well, the Hulk might argue the point, but you know what I mean.

But, yeah, The Flash really gets understated a lot and when you consider what a speedster actually can do it's hard not to say "okay, too much." Captain Cold is going to shoot him with a freeze ray? Did someone forget the moving target issue in that?
I've never bothered to read any academic analyses or anything, but I've often heard it said that the Justice League characters are meant to be on a level of power akin to gods. The Flash, Superman, and Green Lantern in particular are just ridiculous (you could also add in less-iconic characters like The Spectre, The Phantom Stranger, and Swamp Thing).

Amazon has all of its Marvel movie rentals on sale for $1.99. I'm watching Iron Man 3 right now, which I haven't seen since it was in theaters. I'd forgotten that...

1. ...IM3 introduced Advanced Idea Mechanics. They seem like a useful, long-term villain group for a series. I thought the group that gave Jessica Jones and Luke Cage their powers might turn out to be A.I.M.

2. ...Rhodey was using the Iron Patriot persona, instead of War Machine.

3. ...Ben Kingsley does a nice job as The Mandarin. Rumors have flown ever since that he might be back.

4. ...the movie came out in 2014, before Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron. For some reason, I had that chronology all wrong in my head.

5. ...Rebecca Hall is really good-looking. :crazyeye: She's done a lot, too, but I've somehow never seen her in anything else. It looks like she's starring in the upcoming Tales From the Loop, which I have hopes for.

6. ...Tony Stark refers to Trevor Slattery as "Sir Lawrence Oblivier." :lol:

p.s. Can you trust any character played by Miguel Ferrer? I mean, really, who didn't see that coming?

Top Bottom