1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

It's been successful for the CW. But the ones I've seen I kept thinking really weren't well written. :dunno: So I haven't watched all that many of them.

2. Cutlass

New trailer for Jay & Silent Bob Reboot.

Spoiler nsfw :

3. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

The woman on the left here is winning my personal "Best Costume of SDCC" so far.

Spoiler :

4. Cutlass

what's the deal with Mystique being a soldier? I think I heard it, but can't recall.

5. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

I don't know the comics that well but Mystic did impersonate a soldier in Days of Future Past. Maybe that was what she was going for.

Also that lady in the middle has an oddly placed helmet.

6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

My instincts were right, it is Benoist playing the gender-flipped, "dark n' gritty" version of Chronic. The rumor-mill is swirling that Ben Affleck will be playing the grim-faced version of Bluntman opposite Benoist. :lol: I might have to see this movie.

7. Cutlass

She's playing Magneto, and miming that her powers are holding the helmet in the air in front of her.

8. Cutlass

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back is among my favorite movies. I don't own all that many movies on disk, but that's one of them.

9. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

New Marvel Movie Announcements

10. BenitoChavez

Natalie Portman is in the new Thor!? I'm glad she is back. She is one of my favorite actresses but I thought she had a falling out with Marvel.

11. Laurana Kanan

New Disney+ TV Show Announcements

12. Laurana Kanan

She did have that cameo in Endgame so who knows, maybe they've reconciled.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Cutlass likes this.
  13. Laurana Kanan

Missed a few other things from the SDCC panel.

Feige also confirmed w/o dates that Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and Captain Marvel 2 are also coming soon...as well as the Fantastic Four!

p.s. I completed missed that Simu Liu will be in Shang Chi. If you haven't caught him in Kim's Convenience - check it out.

Cutlass and EgonSpengler like this.
  14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Random MCU bits...

Simu Lu was cast as Shang-Chi only last Tuesday.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness director Scott Derrickson says he wants to make the MCU's first scary movie, albeit still PG-13.

Elizabeth Olsen will be in Dr. Strange and Teyonah Parris will play the adult Monica Rambeau in WandaVision.

Jeffrey Wright will be the voice of The Watcher in the animated What If..? and "the majority" of the MCU's live-action cast will be voicing their characters.

The MCU calendar (so far):
    • May 2020 - Black Widow
    • Summer 2020 - Agents of SHIELD season 7
    • Fall 2020 - The Falcon & The Winter Soldier
    • November 2020 - The Eternals
    • Sometime in 2020 - Ghost Rider and Hellstrom
    • February 2021 - Shang-Chi
    • Spring 2021 - WandaVision and Loki
    • May 2021 - Dr. Strange
    • Summer 2021 - What If..?
    • Fall 2021 - Hawkeye
    • November 2021 - Thor
    I don't know if this necessarily means that Captain Marvel 2, Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Spider-Man 3, and the reboots of Blade, Fantastic Four and X-Men are going to be after 2021. I could also watch another Ant-Man & The Wasp movie. They could be saving some announcements for Disney's "D23 Expo" at the end of August. It's hard to imagine cramming even more into the next 2½ years. And there hasn't been even a whiff of the next Avengers-style teamup movie.

15. Cutlass

Rumor I heard was that she didn't like her character. Which may be a BS rumor. :dunno: I thought it was a good character.

16. BenitoChavez

Avengers Endgame is now the highest grossing film of all time. Pretty crazy that marvel has 5 out of the top 10 as well.

upload_2019-7-21_22-32-32.png

17. BenitoChavez

Marvel basically made the Jane 1 dimensional as Thor's love interest and de-emphasized the scientist aspect of the character. I can see how she would want to play someone with more depth. I've also heard that Patty Jenkins was suppose to direct Thor 2, who Natalie really liked but was replaced with someone else and she was upset about that.

18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

So I caught up with Shazam! over the weekend. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone who only likes the occasional superhero movie, but I thought it was a hoot. It's very aware of both Big and Superman, and a bit of Spider-Man ("with great power..."). Mark Strong's Doctor Sivana is fun, but the movie doesn't make the fight between the two characters its central plot point. The kid growing up too fast and finding his family were the important plots, I thought, and the super-villain was a means to those ends. It's been said that the best villains are the heroes of their own stories, except that sometimes the battle with the (super-)villain isn't really what the story is about. Shazam and Sivana punching each other isn't actually the story's central conflict; the loss of Billy's childhood and him learning to trust and lean on other people is.

Zachary Levi does an outstanding job playing a 14-year-old. He's a goober, but without being creepy. I liked the scene where the kids spit out the beer and go back into the convenience store for junk food, for example. One thing that nagged at me was that I never felt like Levi and Asher Angel were playing quite the same character. I'm not an actor, but I imagine it must be tough to coordinate performances like that, so I was willing to let it go.

It'll be interesting to see if they move ahead with Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam.

A minor aside, I didn't recognize Michelle Borth at all. I saw her name in the credits, and I was like, "wait, who did she play..?" I thought maybe she was one of the teachers at the school, like Kenneth Choi in Spider-Man ("Fawcett Middle School" was a nice Easter Egg).

Spoiler :
    The script decided to steer clear of the romance that Big attempted with Elizabeth Perkins, which I think was probably for the best. It seemed, for a brief moment, that they were going that route with Mary, and I was grimacing and recoiling in my seat until they swerved into the older-sister-younger-brother thing instead.

I loved that superhero-Billy kept getting called different things. For one thing, it makes sense that superheroes wouldn't name themselves, that the media would give them a nickname. It also makes sense that, in our era of fractured media, several different people would give him several different names simultaneously. And of course Freddy couldn't come up with a good name, so he just kept trying out different things.

Captain Sparklefingers
    Thundercrack
    Mr. Philadelphia
    The Red Cyclone
    Maximum Voltage - "You can call me Max." :lol:
    Sir Zaps-A-Lot

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Obviously, this was all because they can't call him Captain Marvel, but it ended up being more fun than if they had.

19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but David Harbour said when Black Widow takes place, and I have to admit, it isn't what I was expecting:
    Spoiler :
    After Captain America: Civil War but before Avengers: Infinity War, during the time that Natasha and Steve and others were in hiding for not signing the Sokovia Accords.

20. Laurana Kanan