1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

But in 2-3 years time, that boy is going to look a great deal different. So if the show story arc is a year in the life of Bruce Wayne over 3 years of broadcast TV, then that's going to look pretty friggin weird.

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

So this dude I've never heard of has been cast as Danny Rand in Iron Fist. Finn Jones. English; 27 years old; 6' tall; plays somebody in Game of Thrones, which I've never seen, but I know it's an action show. I'm not outraged, as some people apparently are. I'm a little disappointed that they passed up such a great opportunity to cast an Asian lead, but Marvel's track record for effective casting has blown my mind, so I'm on board with whatever.

3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I saw Antman tonight. It was better than I was expecting.

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I thought Ant-Man was great. I was a little wary after the dustup with Edgar Wright (I'd still like to see his superhero movie, if he ever makes one), but Peyton Reed delivered. Marvel's magical casting touch continued, as did their underdeveloped villains. I liked the choice of making Scott Lang the main character and Hank Pym the mentor. Most of all, I liked that they didn't blow off Ant-Man's powers as just a joke, while still acknowledging some of the ridiculousness there, and actually tried to figure out how someone might use them.

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

I thought the movie was great. Having Pym train his successor did provide insight into the actual "powers" of the Ant-Man, which always seemed sort of "he can be small, so?" in the comics, at least to me. It still had the huge suspended disbelief inconsistencies of the Ant-Man though. No way around them I suppose.

6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Goofing off on the set of Supergirl (spoiler-ish, I guess, if you're hardcore about that sort of thing):

Spoiler :
    Grant Gustin demonstrates the futility of Barry ever trying to pick up Kara.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Where did you get that photo? Seems an interesting rumor confirmation, so a bit of a spoiler, but still interesting.

8. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Oh, I dunno. Around the web somewhere. There was a gallery of 40 or 50 photos. A few of the pics showed Benoist's stunt double, whose arms I think didn't need any costume padding.

9. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

A few Captain America: Civil War set photos released by Marvel, courtesy of Collider.

Scarlett Johansson working on a fight scene with the stunt crew. I'm not sure who that is about to eat the knuckle sandwich. Maybe a stunt guy.

Spoiler :

Chris Evans and one of the Russos. Maybe it's the lighting, but Evans' costume looks much more like the one out of The Ultimates than I remember from the previous films.

Spoiler :

Sebastian Stan, Chris Evans, and the Russo brothers chilling in the back of a Quinjet. Who wouldn't want a Quinjet?

Spoiler :

And one still from the movie. It's a little spoilery, showing some of the characters lining up alongside each other, but you get a nice look at Chadwick Boseman's Black Panther costume.

Spoiler :

10. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I read comics Civil war some years ago it was cool see all these superheroes taking side and fighting against each other. I realy enjoyed it, but superhero movies are meh.

11. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Oy vey. Evidently there isn't one friggin' person in the Supergirl writers' room who knows one, single thing about computers. "National City’s entire mainframe has been breached." wtf? And, straight out of 1996, Winn writes a computer virus for an extraterrestrial AI. Jesus have mercy on us all. Don't they even read the news?

/rant :lol:

There was a cool Easter Egg in the Fortress of Solitude scene, though:

Spoiler :

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

While the science was....*ahem*....lacking, I thought that episode illustrated my point pretty well. "Team Supergirl vs the Brainiac" is definitely not something you would ever see from Clark "the Superloner" Kent.

13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Yes, definitely. I thought the scene with Alex at the end was very effective. I'm glad they didn't drag out the 'Alex is keeping a secret from Kara and Kara is pissed at Henshaw' storyline longer than they did. And they seem to be moving more definitively toward a romance between James and Kara. Part of me hopes that's a head-fake, though, or at least that it'll be more complicated than the typical "will they or won't they?" storyline that I've been watching since Moonlighting. I thought James' line about Kara being faster than Clark was a nice bit. While a small thing, it simultaneously helps separate Supergirl from Superman and lays more pipe for James' evolving feelings for Kara.

14. Buster's Uncle

Buster's Uncle AC2 Co-Owner

:) LLL!

15. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

16. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Another Civil War trailer. I hope this is the last one. I can't seem to stop myself from watching them. :lol:

Link to video.

17. harry90

harry90 Chieftain

The best ever dress up superhero is Spiderman though

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Apparently this is the comic book story that the Civil War movie is based on

Link to video.

That's pretty f'n convoluted, but superheroes battling it out in New York, I get why they made it

19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Ha. Nice. I tried reading Civil War once, but I got distracted and never finished it.

20. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Saw the new legal drama! Batman v. Superman Board of Education.

Holy crap that movie was awful. Fortunately, I was expecting it to be awful, so I get to say "I told you so" to a certain few of my friends for the next several months. Unfortunately, I did still spend 2.5 hours of my life and $13 of my money on it, so it's not like I win or anything.

The only good part was Wonder Woman, who brought the house down and looked like the most competent person in the entire film. The worst part was how incredibly wooden Superman was, and how Ben Affleck's Batman not only shot guns with bullets at people to kill them, but how even his guns had guns. The plot is a hot mess. Luthor was a hot mess. They reran the Batman origin story twice. I can't even.