Superheroes!

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but David Harbour said when Black Widow takes place, and I have to admit, it isn't what I was expecting:
Spoiler :
After Captain America: Civil War but before Avengers: Infinity War, during the time that Natasha and Steve and others were in hiding for not signing the Sokovia Accords.

I like that, depending on what the crisis is. Maybe it'll explain their contact with Vision and Wanda.

But it is admittedly dampened with the fact that Black Widow is dead, so the only chance of seeing the character in the future is in other prequel movies. Which I'm not necessarily opposed to, but the MCU thus far has done a pretty good job of keeping continuity and I don't want that compromised.

I like that, depending on what the crisis is. Maybe it'll explain their contact with Vision and Wanda.

But it is admittedly dampened with the fact that Black Widow is dead, so the only chance of seeing the character in the future is in other prequel movies. Which I'm not necessarily opposed to, but the MCU thus far has done a pretty good job of keeping continuity and I don't want that compromised.
I like it too. I think the interim periods between Civil War and Infinity War, and between Inifinity War and Endgame are fertile ground for a story or two. I really liked Johansson & Evans together in The Winter Soldier, and I'd love to see "The Adventures of Steve & Nat." I haven't seen any mention of other Avengers characters or actors in the Black Widow cast, but maybe they're just keeping a tight lid on it. The movie seems to have a Russian bent: Harbour is playing Red Guardian and Florence Pugh is playing "Yelena", who the nerdosphere thinks is Yelena Belova, another Black Widow agent of the Red Room in the comics. Rachel Weisz plays someone named Melina, but no idea who that is. And Taskmaster makes at least an appearance, but it's unclear if he's the central villain. The clip shown at SDCC, which I don't think has leaked or been released yet, featured a fight between Johansson and Pugh.

p.s. I think Avengers: Endgame did to the series' continuity what Frank Castle did to Fisk's men in the prison corridor, but maybe Feige & Co have something clever up their sleeves.

I forget from the movie, Gamora just split?
From what I remember it wasn't shown (like in the clip above), she just sorta disappeared after the battle. I think that's the purpose of the scene where Thor comes aboard the Milano and Quill is looking at a screen searching for Gamora - to show she took off.

:cry: This shouldn't have been a deleted scene.

Agreed.

From what I remember it wasn't shown (like in the clip above), she just sorta disappeared after the battle. I think that's the purpose of the scene where Thor comes aboard the Milano and Quill is looking at a screen searching for Gamora - to show she took off.

That's how I remember it. Of course that's Gamora-I-haven't-even-gotten-around-to-betraying-Ronan-yet, so she's a lot more likely to just beat Peter Quill to a pulp than to call him Starlord.

Here's a wild idea. We know that Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will co-star Wanda Maximoff, and that the director wants to make it 'scary.' There are also rumors swirling that it will also introduce Mahershala Ali as Blade. There was a Dr. Strange comic story that featured both of those characters as guest-stars, as well as Monica Rambeau, teaming up to fight perhaps the most famous supervillain of all time.

Spoiler :

Here's a wild idea. We know that Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will co-star Wanda Maximoff, and that the director wants to make it 'scary.' There are also rumors swirling that it will also introduce Mahershala Ali as Blade. There was a Dr. Strange comic story that featured both of those characters as guest-stars, as well as Monica Rambeau, teaming up to fight perhaps the most famous supervillain of all time.

Spoiler :

And definitely a scary supervillain. That would be interesting.

I'm finally getting around to watching Daredevil, Netflix version. Good, in a dark and gritty style that is certainly appropriate.

But...

I'm feeling the same annoyance I get from a lot of "hero" type material. Matt acts like he doesn't want to be a killer, and holding back leads inevitably to getting the crap knocked out of him beyond what is necessary, which is more than bad enough. Get over it already. They are clearly the bad guys. You deliver enough beatings some of them are gonna die anyway. So pull yourself together, minimize your own risk, and just hit them with everything you've got and let the chips fall where they may. I am five episodes in and I am completely over the "poor Matt got the crap beaten out of him again."

I'm finally getting around to watching Daredevil, Netflix version. Good, in a dark and gritty style that is certainly appropriate.

But...

I'm feeling the same annoyance I get from a lot of "hero" type material. Matt acts like he doesn't want to be a killer, and holding back leads inevitably to getting the crap knocked out of him beyond what is necessary, which is more than bad enough. Get over it already. They are clearly the bad guys. You deliver enough beatings some of them are gonna die anyway. So pull yourself together, minimize your own risk, and just hit them with everything you've got and let the chips fall where they may. I am five episodes in and I am completely over the "poor Matt got the crap beaten out of him again."
They address that later, in a few ways, but as with so many of these Netflix shows, it took them an awful long time to get around to it.

Minor spoiler for the end of season 1 re: Matt getting the [stuffing] kicked out him:
Spoiler :
Matt gets the full Daredevil suit from Melvin at the end of season 1, because he needs more protection. It resembles Batman's suit in the Nolan movies, with ceramic plates and gauntlets and a helmet.

Minor spoiler for season 2 re: Matt's no-killing approach:
Spoiler :
The confrontation between Matt and Frank Castle is largely an ends-justifying-means, use-of-force disagreement. Frank calls Matt a "half-measure" and questions his commitment.

Minor spoilers for the whole series:
Spoiler :
Matt is a masochist; getting his [behind] kicked is part of what he's doing by getting into these fights. It's partly because of his father, partly because of his Catholicism, and Stick and Elektra didn't help. It's part of why he's attracted to Elektra - she's that wild chick we think is sexy, then we realize she's genuinely crazy - and partly what sours his relationships with Claire, Foggy and Karen.

Alex Ross did a sketch of Brandon Routh wearing the Kingdom Come Superman suit. Supposedly, Routh will be playing a version of Superman in Crisis on Infinite Earths, and he appeared as SDCC in a Kingdom Come t-shirt.

Spoiler :

They address that later, in a few ways, but as with so many of these Netflix shows, it took them an awful long time to get around to it.

Minor spoiler for the end of season 1 re: Matt getting the [stuffing] kicked out him:
Spoiler :
Matt gets the full Daredevil suit from Melvin at the end of season 1, because he needs more protection. It resembles Batman's suit in the Nolan movies, with ceramic plates and gauntlets and a helmet.

Minor spoiler for season 2 re: Matt's no-killing approach:
Spoiler :
The confrontation between Matt and Frank Castle is largely an ends-justifying-means, use-of-force disagreement. Frank calls Matt a "half-measure" and questions his commitment.

Minor spoilers for the whole series:
Spoiler :
Matt is a masochist; getting his [behind] kicked is part of what he's doing by getting into these fights. It's partly because of his father, partly because of his Catholicism, and Stick and Elektra didn't help. It's part of why he's attracted to Elektra - she's that wild chick we think is sexy, then we realize she's genuinely crazy - and partly what sours his relationships with Claire, Foggy and Karen.

The issue with this is when superheroes refuse to kill, then others die to pay for it. Batman won't kill Joker. But Joker will escape again, and will kill again. So by refusing to kill, Batman is enabling Joker to kill.

The issue with this is when superheroes refuse to kill, then others die to pay for it. Batman won't kill Joker. But Joker will escape again, and will kill again. So by refusing to kill, Batman is enabling Joker to kill.
I think you're letting the people who failed to keep Joker incarcerated off the hook, but a bigger issue, at least for me, is that you're making Batman the arbiter of who should die. Even if Joker 100% deserves it, we only know that because we've witnessed his crimes from artificially omniscient point of view. But then who else should Batman kill? If we say he should kill the Joker, we're saying he should kill whomever he thinks deserves it. So either we're trusting him to be infallible in his evaluations of who should die, or we're willing to accept the innocent casualties (and if it's the latter, then we should be willing to let Batman take the Joker alive in the first place). We'd be trusting him to not only determine who's committed a crime, but which crimes deserve death and which criminals are recidivists and/or irredeemable (and, come to think of it, if we're trusting Batman to determine who's irredeemable, then we're also trusting that Gotham's rehabilitation mechanisms are infallible - and we're back to letting whoever was holding The Joker in prison off the hook - there's a circle of logic here that just doesn't compute).

Not incidentally, you're also asking Batman to take on a great emotional and psychological burden. Killing someone is a strong risk factor for developing PTSD. That's one reason committing "suicide by cop" is a crappy thing to do (in addition to, y'know, committing suicide). And what does it do to him if he does kill an innocent person by mistake? What if Batman kills some of Joker's henchmen and then later we learn that Joker was holding their children hostage? If you've seen Daredevil, you may remember the scene where Wesley shows the prison guard the live video of his daughter. Fisk was maneuvering two of his victims against each other, in forcing the prison guard to kill Karen. The assassin who killed himself because he blurted out Fisk's name probably did that because Fisk knows where the guy's [wife/father/niece/baby] lives. Like Kaizer Sozhe, Fisk won't merely kill you if you screw him.

As well, Batman sits at the head of the table of the "Batman Family." If we're giving him license to kill, what precedent does that set for Nightwing, Batwoman, and Robin? iirc, Cassandra Cain/Batgirl, The Red Hood, The Huntress and Azrael are already Bat-family vigilantes with impulse control problems that Batman has had to shove back in line. If he starts killing, all of them are off the leash.

Finally, if it becomes known that Batman and his cohort kill, it won't be long before Ra's al Ghul or Hugo Strange or one of the other especially cunning villains deliberately tricks one of them into killing someone for them.

And then Clark, Diana, Oliver and Barry show up, because Bruce & Co. have become the villains (see: season 3 of Jessica Jones).

Filming on Agents of SHIELD has officially wrapped. Last one out, turn off the lights.

I've been frustrated and bored with the current season of AoS, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the finale, and I think I will miss the cast.

Filming on Agents of SHIELD has officially wrapped. Last one out, turn off the lights.

I've been frustrated and bored with the current season of AoS, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the finale, and I think I will miss the cast.

I thought they had said that there was going to be another season? :dunno:

I didn't know they filmed it that far in advance.
I thought that was unusual, too. Most shows don't do it that way. Maybe they're blowing the budget to high Heaven and have to do a lot of post-production. :dunno:

Top Bottom