1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Oh we're doing rankings!? I like rankings.
    1. Infinity War
    2. Ragnarok
    3. Iron Man
    4. Homecoming
    5. Dr. Strange
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy
    7. Endgame
    8. Far From Home
    9. Age of Ultron
    10. Winter Soldier
    11. The Avengers
    12. Civil War
    13. Iron Man 2
    14. Thor
    15. Iron Man 3
    16. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    17. Captain America
    18. Dark World
    19. Black Panther
    20. Ant Man
    21. Captain Marvel
    22. Ant Man & The Wasp
    23. The Incredible Hulk - Y'all forgot this one
    They are too silly for me, especially Ant Man & The Wasp. The quantum realm in particular bugs me. Even when you ignore all the sciency stuff, basic facts about human existence go out the window. Like what do you eat when you are down there for 30 years? Or how do you breath when air molecules are thousands of times larger than your body?

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Kind of. I thought about just randomly plugging it into the middle somewhere, because I don't really remember liking it or disliking it, but I decided not to. I guess I might rewatch it someday, but the chance seems remote.
    They are too silly for me, especially Ant Man & The Wasp. The quantum realm in particular bugs me. Even when you ignore all the sciency stuff, basic facts about human existence go out the window. Like what do you eat when you are down there for 30 years? Or how do you breath when air molecules are thousands of times larger than your body?[/QUOTE]
    In the MCU, when you get that small, you're not really small anymore, you've crossed over into another dimension. Rumors were flying that Ant-Man and The Wasp would introduce The Micronauts with an "Easter Egg", but to my knowledge nobody's ever found one. We do know that Janet wasn't necessarily in there for 30 years - the 5 years after The Snap was only 5 hours for Scott - but I guess she'd still have to have found food and water, as it was obviously more than 30 hours for her.

Anyway, you have to overlook a lot of stuff with these movies. For instance, when Tony's original suit crash-landed in the desert in Iron Man, I'm pretty sure he would have been pulp inside the suit. I don't think you can just put on a suit of steel armor and then jump off an 8-story building. In the first episode of Daredevil, Matt Murdock bounces a pipe off a shipping container in classic Daredevil style, even though that show was all about being "gritty n' realistic" with the material. I think at some point he talks about meditating to accelerate his natural healing processes. If that's true, he's discovered a revolutionary medical methodology that he's simply chosen not to share with the world, in favor of keeping it to himself to he can punch more people. I mean, what a dick. And why aren't Steve and Bucky donating blood every chance they get? :lol:

3. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

If that is so, I wish they would have made it clearer in the film then. The "quantum realm" in real life is just when you get small enough that weird stuff starts to happen but it is still a part of our reality. From what I remember of the movies, all the quantum realm sequences show them getting really small with some trippy visual effects to show new "realm" but nothing to suggest that it is somehow separate from our existence.

Yeah I know. I'm not looking for gritty realism in these movies but rather just enough adherence to some basic rules that it doesn't take me out of the movie. I'll admit that is an imperfect and subjective criteria. Some obvious things bother me but some don't. However that's all I got to go on.

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

The thing with the Ant-Man movies is that they don't follow their own rules that they present. You are tiny, but you keep your mass so when you punch somebody it knocks them over...but next thing you know he is standing on dude's shoulder saying "hey, look over here," or he's riding on the back of an ant.

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Right, the Pym Particles seem to allow the user to control the mass of an object. For inanimate objects, it's useful for the object to be lighter than normal, such as when Hank is pulling his entire lab building around like one of those wheeled suitcases (when he returns it to full size, does he have to spend a day hooking up water, electricity, gas and internet? what if he forgets to shut everything off before he shrinks the building?). But when Scott is fighting people, he's clearly able to change his mass without changing his size, and do it instantly. And when he's huge, he clearly has more mass than normal. When he reduces his mass, where does it go? And when he gains mass, where does he borrow it from?

6. Timsup2nothin

The quantum realm. That's the go to answer for all things Pym particle.

7. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

"Do you guys just put the word 'quantum' in front of everything?"

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

You weren't supposed to think about it...

9. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

He started it! *pouts*

Cutlass likes this.
  10. Timsup2nothin

My bad. FWIW, despite the fact that I rate Ant-Man as by far the most glaringly inconsistent corner of the MCU I really enjoyed both movies and think his scenes in other movies are all great. It might require a higher level of suspended disbelief, but it is well worth it.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  11. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I agree. His man-crush on Captain America is hilarious. "Thinks for thanking of me!"

12. Timsup2nothin

Oh. So it's 'Cap' now?

13. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

15. Laurana Kanan

16. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Interesting that Marvel is very focused on incorporating the X-Men and Fantastic Four into the MCU. I guess that's a need since they phased out so many titular characters.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not super jazzed about Phase 4 (except for Blade, Captain Marvel 2, and a couple of the planned shows). Spider-Man was the character that was going to keep me so interested, so I hope that deal happens. Although 7 movies... maybe a bit much.

17. Laurana Kanan

I feel the same for the most part. I am looking forward to Black Widow, even though it's far late in coming; Eternals, mainly because of casting; and, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, because I enjoy the magical/mystical angle. But, yeah, I was probably most interested in the unannounced Spider-Man sequels.

18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Black Widow and Blade are the two I'm most looking forward to, but I'll keep an open mind about the rest. Dr. Strange didn't thrill me, but if the next one is a horror movie, I'll be more interested.

19. Timsup2nothin

I like Dr Strange as a character. The movie was good, as origin stories go. It faced an uphill battle, since "master of the mystic arts" requires a lot more explanation than "puts on suit of armor so we can throw in any weapon he'll ever need when he needs it," but they made a lot of stuff reasonably clear without getting too pedantic, I thought.

20. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Oh, right, Black Widow. Yes. I'm looking forward to that too! But it's tough to get really excited about it since the character is dead (is that a spoiler?). I appreciated that the MCU was mostly linear and didn't have a lot of back-and-forth going on with continuity, so getting Natasha content seems inherently limited by the mere circumstance of Endgame happening. The only way you'll get more is through prequels, be it on the movie screen or in a show format. So with that in mind, it could be an absolute hit, and it won't matter at all.