1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

tjs282 likes this.
  2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

No details yet.

3. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I've never seen Harington in anything. If he were playing Marc Specter/Moon Knight, I suppose they would've said so. Even just a quick Google search links him with Wolverine rumors, and I was thinking he could do either Victor Von Doom or Reed Richards if they go younger with those roles, but it seems a little early to be announcing someone for those movies. I would expect either of those reboots to be a major "headlining" event for either a ComicCon or a D23 Expo, and not to come out in dribs n' drabs. It's odd they announced the actor but not the role. Still two more days of D23, I think, so who knows.

I also see they've got Emily Van Camp for Falcon & Winter Soldier; and Wyatt Russell, who I've never seen, will be playing John Walker / Super-Patriot / USAgent (trivia: Wyatt Russell is Kate Hudon's younger brother, the son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn). Kathryn Hahn, Kat Dennings & Randall Park have signed onto WandaVision, Dennings and Park as the characters they played in Thor and Ant-Man & The Wasp. This seems to push that show in the direction of comedy, loading the supporting cast around the two leads, who mainly have experience in drama (has Bettany or Olsen ever done comedy?).

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

HitFix on the WandaVision presentation:

I have to admit, I'm getting more interested in this series. The Outer Limits? The Dick Van Dyke Show? The weirder this gets, the more intrigued I become.

6. Laurana Kanan

The cast of Marvel Studios’ The Eternals takes the stage at the D23 Expo, giving us our first look at their costumes!

Kit Harington ("Game of Thrones") has been officially cast as Dane Whitman aka Black Knight in The Eternals film!

Gemma Chan has been officially announced to be playing Sersi in The Eternals film!

Just announced at D23 Expo, Ryan Coogler returns to direct Marvel Studios’ BLACK PANTHER 2, in theaters May 6, 2022!

7. Cutlass

Spoiler Large image of Black Widow promo poster. :

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  8. Laurana Kanan

9. Cutlass

I can put it in spoiler tags. But how large it displays seems to be based on your browser.

10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

That suit is more of an homage to the classic Black Widow outfit from the comics than I think we've seen Johansson wear, with the gold bracers and belt.

I've seen two 'reviews' of the trailer shown at D23, and both raved about the choreography in a fight scene with Johansson and Pugh. One of them compared the fight to those in the Jason Bourne movies.

11. Laurana Kanan

Thanks. I find that 500~600px in height works best for most monitors/browsers.

12. Cutlass

I'm hotlinking from where I found it, most of the time. I can download, resize, and reupload it. But mostly I don't bother.

13. Laurana Kanan

When I hotlink, I generally right-click and use Google image search to find a smaller image. Particularly, if the one I initially find is too big as many of the forums I post on (including Civfanatics) usually have image size restrictions.
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    I'm loving Natasha's new suit! Concept art & movie versions:

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

New Wandavision concept art :huh: (Check out the shadows on the wall!):

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Cutlass likes this.
  14. Laurana Kanan

Handy-dandy Marvel Phase 4 Release Date Infographic:

15. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

This is interesting: James Gunn, having recently gotten his old buddy Nathan Fillion aboard The Suicide Squad, is now trying to get... Taika Waititi? Alright. Sure. Why not. This movie could be a work of action-comedy genius. Or, y'know, not.

16. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

File under Overthinking It: Tony Stark made suits of armor for Rhodey and Pepper, in addition to a dozen for himself. Why didn't he build suits for Thor, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon and Winter Soldier? My vague rationale was that the suit was too restrictive for anyone who already had super strength, super speed, or super agility. Simply put, Thor is already stronger than Iron Man's suit, and Natasha and Steve are already faster and more nimble. One of Tony's suits would literally slow them down. But then he made a suit for Peter Parker.

---

Fan art of Rosario Dawson as She-Hulk is making the rounds. I think the actress herself retweeted it. It's not bad. I don't know if the artist meant to imply that Claire Temple could become She-Hulk, or just that Dawson could play Jennifer Walters, but I think it works either way.

Cutlass likes this.
  17. Laurana Kanan

I really wish that the "What If...?" series would be live-action instead of animated. I'd love to see Hayley Atwell again.

18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Evidently some of the misogynist blowhards around the web thought She-Hulk was a gender-flipped recasting of The Hulk. :lol: What a bunch of maroons, as Bugs Bunny would say.

tjs282 likes this.
  19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

So Avengers: Endgame co-writer Christopher Markus was at SDCC and was asked about one of the huge... um... "issues" raised by the ending of that movie, and gave a terribly poor answer.

Can we post Endgame spoilers without tags yet? I dunno.

Spoiler :
    When asked why Steve didn't fix so many problems in the past, Markus replied,
    Setting continuity aside for a moment, he doesn't even care to understand the character.

My take: Steve, upon returning to 1947-48 to live the life with Peggy, is smart enough to understand that he can't change history because he'll never be able to anticipate the ramifications. He can't save Martin Luther King, Jr. or use his influence to get a meeting with Lyndon Johnson about the war in Vietnam. He knows, for example, that he can't be Captain America anymore, because Captain America has to stay dead until 2012. For the most part, he has to let history play out. He can't make any big changes.

There are a couple of big, personal issues tugging at him, though: He knows that, from the moment he returns, HYDRA has begun infiltrating his wife's organization, and he knows that Bucky is alive.

Problem 1 - Peggy, and SHIELD: Steve knows that he can't stop HYDRA from taking over SHIELD, but he can work to frustrate HYDRA's efforts at every turn. Peggy, probably not even 35 years old yet when Steve comes back into her life, is years from retirement as a field agent, and Steve can't very well let her ride into danger without him. Steve could adopt a new, costumed identity and help Peggy, and he can work to undermine HYDRA without exposing it or destroying it.

Problem 2 - Bucky: Steve basically has to let this story unfold, because if The Winter Soldier doesn't assassinate Howard Stark, Stark Industries doesn't become the ethically-questionable weapons dealer under Obadiah Stane's leadership, Tony Stark doesn't get kidnapped by The Five Rings, become Iron Man, and eventually take the Infinity Stones off Thanos and win the war. Essentially, if Steve rescues Bucky, Thanos will win. And let's not forget that Howard Stark is a friend of Steve's wife.

Problem 2a - Steve's alive in 1948, and people who knew him during the war are still around: Peggy, of course. But also Howard and all of the guys in the Howling Commandos, who we know joined Peggy after the war. Steve and/or Peggy cook up a story about Steve being in a coma for a few years after the plane crash. In those few years, the legend of Captain America has already begun to take hold, and everyone agrees to keep Steve's resurrection a secret. Peggy may or may not know the truth.

"[He] can do this all day": The key here is that Steve's discipline and commitment are basically one of his super-powers. He could keep himself in line for 70 years, as painful as it might be at times. He has to leave Bucky, Howard, and Tony to their fates, without intervening.

I recently rewatched Captain America: The Winter Soldier, for the first time since seeing Avengers: Endgame and noticed two things (Endgame spoilers):
    Spoiler :
    In 1953 archival footage that Steve sees at the Captain America exhibit at the Smithsonian Museum, Peggy Carter recounts one of Captain America's wartime exploits, when he single-handedly rescued a bunch of allied soldiers from a German POW camp. "Including, it would turn out, [her] future husband." Ret-conning this moment into MCU history, this must mean that Steve adopted the identity of one of those POWs, or created a fake identity and wove it into one of his real stories. The other thing I noticed was in the scene when Steve goes to visit ~92-year-old Peggy in the hospital: Peggy has a couple of framed family photos on the bedstand. One looks like younger Peggy with some kids - her children - and an older Peggy with more kids - her grandchildren. Her husband isn't in either photo. We know now that her husband couldn't allow himself to be photographed (he was probably the one taking the family pics). Did the directors of The Winter Soldier know what was to come? Or did the writers of Endgame look back at previous films and notice that Peggy never named her husband and his face never appeared?

p.s.
    Spoiler :
    None of this resolves the biggest time-paradox of Endgame, that Thanos died before the events of Infinity War. I'm on tenterhooks waiting to see how they write themselves out of that one.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  20. Cutlass