1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

The solution to all your Cap related problems...

Spoiler :
    Peggy Carter DID marry one of the rescued soldiers, and had kids. Returning the stones wasn't a one day (of Cap time) event. That's a career, not a lark. And he's already lived...what...fifteen years since he came off the ice? So he wouldn't go back to 1944 and show up twenty years older...he'd go back to a time when Peggy had already been widowed or divorced, with both being likely outcomes for people in her and presumably her husband's profession. Which is also, generally speaking, a profession for the young. With a loss of husband and a couple kids to consider retirement from SHIELD and associated dropping off the radar wouldn't be unexpected, and would offer a perfect time point for the older Steve Rogers to insert himself...and enjoy a quiet lifetime until he safely watched himself return from the ice and carry Peggy's coffin as a younger man. Then he makes one last time jump to meet up with Falcon, the end.

And, yeah, the Thanos thing is a total game breaker.

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

Right, there are probably several plausible stories that could be weaved, mine being just one of them. The explanation offered by Markus at SDCC makes it seem like they just haven't thought about it very much, either while they were writing it or since. The Thanos Conundrum is a whole other thing, though. That's such a huge hairball, it almost seems like they must have had something in mind when they wrote it, which we just haven't seen yet, and the answers we need will unfold over the course of the next 'phase' of the MCU. In particular, WandaVision, Loki and Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness seem able to address the elephant in the room.

I could imagine The Falcon & The Winter Soldier might also address some of the issues we've raised here. In fact, I can't imagine Sam, Bucky, & Sharon not having a "how's Steve doing" conversation at some point, even if they're literally in the middle of fighting the bad guys. I haven't read that Chris Evans will have a cameo in that series, but he wouldn't have to.

3. EgonSpengler

A Stephen Amell tweet the other day, edited by me for language:

4. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

I'm two or three seasons behind on all the CW shows at this point. The thought of trying to catch up and keep the crossovers in order gives me heartburn.

5. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

6. EgonSpengler

I don't think any of the previous crossovers required much familiarity with any plotlines or characters. I don't know if Crisis on Infinite Earths will be any different. And really, none of these shows is so intricate that you couldn't jump in at almost any time. I've skipped entire seasons and didn't have a lot of trouble jumping back in. That said, if you're looking for an excuse to skip it, you don't need one. None of this is exactly required viewing. :lol:

I'm certainly intrigued by this movie, but I think the only Warner Bros. DC Comics movies I've seen in the theater since the Dark Knight trilogy were Man of Steel and Wonder Woman. I haven't seen Suicide Squad or Justice League at all. If this one gets good reviews, I'll watch it on a streaming service next Summer. If it doesn't, I won't even notice when it blows past me. *shrug* We've reached the stage where a supernerd like me can skip half of the superhero movies and shows being produced and still get plenty.

7. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I just watched Aquaman. And it about meets the expectations for a DC movie. Which is to say that it really wasn't much good.

8. Cutlass

Shazam is more than a little weird. But was probably the best DC film since Wonder Woman.

9. EgonSpengler

I liked Aquaman more than you did, but I agree that Shazam and Wonder Woman are the best of the recent batch.

I was glad that Shazam danced around the Big-style romance with the older woman who doesn't realize she's talking to a 12-year-old. I was getting really nervous at the beginning of that scene, and was relieved when they chose not to go there. I was a teenager when I saw Big, and the older-woman fantasy worked for me then, but as an adult, I was squirming in my seat a little bit. And iirc Shazam's Mary was a teenager, 17 or 18, whereas Elizabeth Perkins was an adult in Big. (I have to admit, I haven't seen Big since it was released. It may or may not be one of those '80s movies that looks different through 21st-Century eyes.)

10. Cutlass

I remember Big. But can't recall when it was that I saw it. Was probably newish at the time. I don't know that I've seen it since, but it was a memorable movie, so sort of sticks with you. But not a lot of the specific details.

Mary in Shazam, the character is a teenager, but still several years older than Billy. The actress, even a lot of years older than that. Which wasn't necessary. What worked was that it really was a poorly socialized adolescent. So the character fit. Which isn't always the case.

11. EgonSpengler

It might be a stretch to call Hailee Steinfeld - recently cast in Hawkeye opposite Jeremy Renner - a "household name", but I feel like I know who she is. I looked her up in IMDb, and actually haven't seen her in much. I do have True Grit and Edge of Seventeen in my film queue(s), and I've heard that Bumblebee was better than the other recent Transformers movies, which is maybe a low bar. I did see 10,000 Saints. I don't remember it well, though. I vaguely remember Ethan Hawke and Emile Hirsch, but evidently Steinfeld and Asa Butterfield didn't make much of an impression on me. Well, anyway...

12. Cutlass

She's fairly well know among the younger crowd, IIRC. Another one of those actress/singers that Nickelodeon and Disney keep churning out, who then have to try and make the crossover to adult roles.

13. EgonSpengler

I didn't realize she was a Nic/Dis girl. I do remember her getting an Oscar nomination for True Grit, which I still haven't seen, and she must have been pretty young at the time.

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Top shelf directors take on remaking film that is widely acknowledged as a classic. Challenge a high caliber actor to fill the iconic role of a Hollywood legend. Fill the rest of the main roles with A list talent. Throw in young girl. Just being able to hold her own in True Grit was a pretty spectacular credit.

15. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

I did not like her in Pitch Perfect, and she was okay in Bumblebee. Besides those two, I've only seen her in The Edge of Seventeen, and she was good in that.

No real opinion on her casting with all that in mind. We'll see. I'm reserving judgement on the planned MCU shows until I see more.

16. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I don't understand the Thanos problem. The events take place years after Infinity War.

17. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Hallee was in the remake of True Grit.

18. EgonSpengler

Avengers: Endgame spoilers:
    Spoiler :
    The Thanos who died when Tony used the Infinity Stones was from before he had gathered the Infinity Stones. This creates a paradox, where the events leading to Endgame can't have happened.

The theory that all of the characters now exist in an alternate timeline, one where The Snap never happened, was immediately torpedoed by Spider-Man: Far From Home. Peter clearly exists in a post-Snap reality, where both The Snap happened and Tony died bringing everybody back.

Among other things, a reality where Thanos died before acquiring the Infinity Stones is a reality in which the Guardians of the Galaxy never teamed up, and never stopped Ego the Living Planet. The events of Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 can't have happened, so Ego's plans are never thwarted and Earth as we know it is destroyed.

19. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

I ain't doing spoiler tags. The movie has been out for 5 months now. If you haven't seen it yet, you don't really care :p

Endgame states that when you take an infinity stone out of its timeline, the timeline splits. Since the 2014 power and soul stones were taken from that timeline, that reality is split and the 2014 Thanos that comes to 2023 is an alternate timeline Thanos. So when alternate timeline Thanos dies, it is only in the alternate timeline that the events leading up to Engame can't happen. In the main timeline, the timeline we've been following for 20+ movies, the events of the past have already happened. Main timeline Thanos got the stones, snapped, and then was killed. All that remains unchanged.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  20. EgonSpengler

If that's true, I think the only confounds are Steve and Loki. I think everything I wrote about Steve & Peggy above would still hold, because that would all have taken place before 2012/The Avengers (and provided that Steve was successful in returning the Stones when and where they belonged, but let's assume that for now). Loki escaping with the Tesseract in 2012 opens up... something. I suppose it depends what Loki the Trickster God decides to do with it, but he's almost certainly not going to put it back where it belongs and restore everything. That wouldn't be very like Loki, and it wouldn't be a very good show. :lol:

We also know that the next Doctor Strange movie is titled In the Multiverse of Madness and not In the Multiverse of Perfectly Reasonable Alternative Outcomes, and that it will directly follow the events of WandaVision, which will also be majorly weird (Kathryn Hahn in a Marvel movie? that's weird all by itself). The nerdosphere is speculating that WandaVision will be an adaptation of Marvel Comics' House of M. I've never read House of M, but I know it leans heavily on the mutant characters, so it wouldn't be directly transferable. Still, WandaVision and Loki and In the Multiverse of Madness could/will obviously take up the story from the ending of Endgame, so we don't need to work out the answer to every question ourselves. I hope. (And, as mentioned earlier, The Falcon & The Winter Soldier could also give us some insight into what happened with Steve & Peggy for all those years.)

So I like your idea. Whereas the new Star Trek movies took up the new, "Kelvin" timeline, the Marvel movies could choose to continue the original timeline and let the new, wrecked timeline(s) burn.