1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

So... Zoe Kravitz. I haven't seen her in much. Mad Max: Fury Road, and I can't remember if she even had any lines. I have no idea what kind of actress she is. She looks the part (of Catwoman). I see she's in a new adaptation of High Fidelity. Is she playing her mom's role, I wonder? I don't know if that'd be cool or weird, or both.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

I only know her from Parenthood. She was pretty good in that. Not sure if she'll translate well to a superhero/villain/antihero/whatever role.

Turns out who I'm thinking of is not Zoe. It's Joy Bryant. I guess I don't know Zoe at all. :lol:

3. EgonSpengler

Also, Jessica Henwick as the lead in the fourth Matrix movie has me intrigued. It may be a good substitute for the Iron Fist and Daughters of the Dragon series starring Henwick that we'll never get to see.afaik, she has no martial arts training, besides what she's learned for her television roles, but I thought she did a great job in Iron Fist. There was one moment, I think in the kitchen fight in season 2, when something about the way she held her hands reminded me of Bruce Lee. I suppose she must have watched some of his films, in her 'homework' for playing Colleen.

4. EgonSpengler

Hm, nope, it wasn't the kitchen fight I was thinking of. It's a good scene, though, if you want to watch it again.

The editing is still a little rapid, but it's not as insane as it was in the first season, and the choreography is better. This was right at the beginning of season 2, and it felt like something of a mission statement, after the tepid first season. We still haven't seen a proper MCU Iron Fist, imho, but this was definitely an improvement. Maybe someday we'll get a reboot. If it had been me, I'd have distinguished Netflix's Iron Fist from Daredevil by playing up the supernatural elements of his fight style a little bit. Make it a little more 'wuxia.' Add a little bit of almost-super-speed, kind of like what they did for Captain America, combined with a little dash of gravity-defying leaps and somersaults. Nothing as ridiculous as Crouching Tiger - you still want it to feel 'street-level' - but there should be a hint of something superhuman about his (or her) movements.

5. Synsensa

I don't know what Iron Fist is like in the comics as I don't read them, but I agree that he felt rather mundane in the Netflix show. I mean, they were all meant to be gritty and street brawler-esque, but it really did seem like the actor playing Danny Rand was just floundering in the role. Outside of fight scenes he was good, but in them... it had a strong sense of him not knowing what to do. Which is kind of weird for a superpowered hero who trained with the warrior monks for a long while.

I didn't think the show was bad. Middling, maybe. Not great. An actor with better choreography/muscle memory would have maybe upped it a notch.

6. EgonSpengler

In the comics, Iron Fist is one of the Immortal Weapons of the Seven Capital Cities of Heaven, one of the top martial artists in the world, with some (low-key, for a superhero comic) supernatural "chi" powers, to boot. Even if they chose to tone all of that down a little, to fit with the overall aesthetic of the Netflix shows, they still didn't capture the essence of the character, imo. He looked even worse when compared with all of the other characters in those shows, who were all conceptualized pretty well, I thought. Daredevil's "radar sense" is one place where that character goes fully superhuman in the comics, and I thought the first season of the show rendered it brilliantly (the 2nd season screwed it up, though). It was an interesting comparison with how the 2003 movie rendered his radar onscreen, in a completely different way that was also great. In the first season of the Netflix show, they simply didn't render his radar sense, they just showed him using it. One of my favorite blink-and-you-miss-it moments was when Claire tosses Matt his sweatshirt: She's standing behind him and he just reaches back and grabs it out of the air without looking. Likewise, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones handled those characters' super-powers really well. Iron Fist really got the shaft.

And now that they're doing Shang-Chi, the 'supernatural martial artist' niche may be filled. Unless they're able to bring back Henwick and Simone Missick for a Daughters of the Dragon, I don't know if a reboot or return of Iron Fist makes a lot of sense.

Elsewhere, I read that Disney is putting $200m into WandaVision, The Falcon & The Winter Soldier, Loki, and Hawkeye (total, not each). The article I read said that these shows will get more money-per-episode than the final season of Game of Thrones did.

Synsensa likes this.
  7. EgonSpengler

I watched the first half of the season premier of Arrow and was completely lost. I haven't watched that show much the last few seasons, and obviously a lot's happened. The guy who plays Tommy Merlyn is a better actor than I remember him being, among other things.

8. Synsensa

... Tommy? The guy who died in the first season Tommy?

How did they... Why did they...

Speaking of, I'm moving onto Supergirl S2, Flash S3, Arrow S5, and Legends S2. Not super sure if I'm going to stick with Legends, honestly...

9. EgonSpengler

Arrow, s8 e1 spoiler:
    Spoiler :
    Oliver is visiting another Earth, in another dimension. Among other differences, Tommy is still alive on that Earth.

Season 1 of Legends was by far its worst. Currently, it's my favorite of the myriad series.

Synsensa likes this.
  10. Synsensa

Ahhhhh, okay, that makes a lot more sense. :lol:

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I wouldn't use "worst," because I didn't think it was all that bad, but I concur that it did get better so season one was "least good." I'm still tilted towards The Flash if pressed for a "best of the lot."

EgonSpengler likes this.
  12. Timsup2nothin

Another episode of Batwoman, and I'm getting less impressed. I think the problem is a compound thing. Start with events following a very predictable line, then multiply by the 'talking to Bruce' narration style in which Kate does the voiceover thing and seems to be totally astonished by the way things went. I keep waiting for the voice of Bruce Wayne to interrupt and say "Well, what did you expect? How dumb are you, really?" I like the characters though, generally, so I'm hanging in there.

13. EgonSpengler

I haven't watched the 3rd episode yet, but this show may've already lost me. Last night I watched Supergirl, and thought about moving on to Batwoman, but I decided to read a book instead. It's not even a great book. :dunno:

Oh, and the Arrow spinoff will be titled, Green Arrow & The Canaries. It's like they just gave up on finding a name for the team. Not a great start.

14. EgonSpengler

So Kevin Feige is taking over basically all Marvel content. Having been made "chief creative officer" of the comics, he's poised to take over the television side too, with Jeph Loeb stepping down.

15. Timsup2nothin

Glass turns out to be more about superheros than anything Marvel or DC has put out.

16. EgonSpengler

The other day I was thinking about asking this thread whether any of the superhero movies I've avoided - the ones generally regarded as failures - are actually not as bad as advertised. The Amazing Spider-Man; Venom; Green Lantern; the recent Hellboy. I think I had a list of about 20. I suppose I should add Glass to that list.

17. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

I've only caught bits and pieces of The Amazing Spider-Man when it plays on TV but every part I've seen looked terrible. Venom is also bad but some people seem to like the Eddy Brock/Venom banter. It wasn't for me. It's been forever since I've seen Green Lantern but I remember kind of liking it. Not enough to see it again mind you. I haven't seen Hellboy. I saw Glass recently and really liked it, though it has some obvious flaws. Although you didn't mention it, Batman vs Superman is widely regarded as bad but I really liked that one, again despite its flaws.

18. Timsup2nothin

Glass is...complicated. Looking back at the fully revealed plot there's an awesome complexity there, but as it's unfolding there are some stretches that are kind of slow and why am I here-ish. I got through those contemplating James McAvoy's performance, which I thought was brilliant.

Green Lantern is fun in a mindless romp sort of way, but if you are a real DC comics Green Lantern fan it would likely be a slap in the face. Ryan Reynolds is much more suited for wise-cracking as Deadpool than saving the planet as a serious hero.

Can't keep track of my Spidermans without a score card, but I don't think any of them were really terrible.

Didn't see Venom or the remade Hellboy yet.

19. EgonSpengler

Here's the list of dumpster fires that I've managed to avoid, as much as I can remember. The question is, are any of them worth catching up with, despite their reputation? "No, none" is a perfectly valid answer, as are "unintentionally funny", "so bad it's good" or "only if you're drunk."

The Amazing Spider-Man
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    The Crow: Salvation
    - I am a Kirsten Dunst fanboy, but yikes
    The Crow: Wicked Prayer
    Daredevil: The Director's Cut
    - I've seen the theatrical release, but some folks insist the director's cut is better
    Dark Phoenix
    Fantastic Four
    (2015)
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - I thought the first one bombed, I can't believe they made a sequel
    Glass
    Green Lantern
    Hellboy
    (2019)
    Jonah Hex - not technically a superhero movie, but I'll include it anyway; Weird Western Tales was one of the DC comics I read when I was a kid
    Justice League
    The Lone Ranger
    (2013)
    The Phantom
    Power Rangers
    (2017)
    The Punisher: War Zone - Somebody recommended this one to me, but I can't remember who it was
    Robocop (2014)
    The Spirit
    Suicide Squad
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles
    - all of 'em
    Venom
    The Wolverine
    - A friend of mine says this didn't suck
    X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine

That's all I can remember, atm, but that's a nice pile of kindling right there. :lol:

20. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

These are the ones that I can say are better than terrible.

EgonSpengler likes this.