Superheroes!

Venom's good fun. But I don't think it'll do well in a cinematic universe setting. It was nice as a one-off. Maybe a sequel. Maybe.

Venom's good fun. But I don't think it'll do well in a cinematic universe setting. It was nice as a one-off. Maybe a sequel. Maybe.
I think they're already charging ahead with both a sequel and some kind of connection to a wider universe. I saw something about a crossover with Tom Hardy's Spider-Man, but that seems like tonal whiplash to me. I haven't seen Venom, but it looks dark. (Admittedly, I kind of want to see Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin in a Spider-Man movie too, and that would also be tonally incongruous.)

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Fantastic Four (2015)

Glass
Green Lantern

Jonah Hex
- not technically a superhero movie, but I'll include it anyway; Weird Western Tales was one of the DC comics I read when I was a kid
Justice League

Suicide Squad

The Wolverine - A friend of mine says this didn't suck
X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

These I've seen. None of them are "you missed out by not paying full pop at the theater" material, but the only ones I would say call for active avoidance are the F4 one and Justice League.

Is there a reason why season 3 of Legends of Tomorrow just completely phoned it in? I'm finally in "I haven't seen this at all" territory and it's just comically bad. Dahrk, again? Grodd, again? Stein is some goober now? Heywood and Palmer are the Screw-Everything-Up Bros? Rip acting like his mind-wiped alter ego for no reason? It's just bewildering.

I've only watched up until the crossover, so a third of the way through. But I am immensely unimpressed thus far. Season 1 was a 5/10, 2 a 6.5/10. This is hovering at a 2/10. :shake:

They're going to bring back another villain aren't they?

I saw the headline about Andy Serkis and Colin Farrell being in talks to play Alfred and The Penguin and I thought Serkis would be great in either role. It turns out that Serkis is aiming at Alfred and Farrell is being considered for Penguin. I'm not a Farrell fan, generally, but I could see him as a tougher version of The Riddler. Frank Gorshin, Jim Carrey and the dude in Gotham all played The Riddler as kind of a dork (I think The Animated Series did, too). Farrell could make him seem dangerous, for once. Penguin, though? I'm having a hard time envisioning that.

I saw the headline about Andy Serkis and Colin Farrell being in talks to play Alfred and The Penguin and I thought Serkis would be great in either role. It turns out that Serkis is aiming at Alfred and Farrell is being considered for Penguin. I'm not a Farrell fan, generally, but I could see him as a tougher version of The Riddler. Frank Gorshin, Jim Carrey and the dude in Gotham all played The Riddler as kind of a dork (I think The Animated Series did, too). Farrell could make him seem dangerous, for once. Penguin, though? I'm having a hard time envisioning that.

Speaking of Gotham, Robin Taylor might have been the best Penguin ever.

Speaking of Gotham, Robin Taylor might have been the best Penguin ever.
Yeah, I agree. I think I stopped watching before he was fully the Penguin, but he was clearly going to be the Penguin, and I thought he did a great job. On the whole, I was a little disappointed that the show was just an extended origin story for so many of the traditional Batman characters. I preferred the stories that featured new characters like Fish and the "proto-supervillains" that Jim Gordon had to deal with, like the guy with the electrical weapon, the psychiatrist hypnotizing her patients, and The Spirit of the Goat. But Taylor was the exception, I liked his Penguin-before-he-was-Penguin.

Bloomberg Businessweek, 7 Nov 2019 - "Bob Iger Takes the Gloves Off for Disney's Streaming Debut"

There're no bombshells here, but Iger confirms some of the speculation, such as that the 'edgier' material acquired from Fox - they mention Family Guy and Deadpool as examples - will be sent to Hulu. Regarding Marvel television series...

Bloomberg said:
[Iger] declines to discuss the budget for the shows—including reports Disney is spending as much as $25 million per episode on some Marvel shows, more than HBO is believed to have spent during the final season of Game of Thrones. He does drop one little morsel, though. If you want to understand everything in future Marvel movies, he says, you’ll probably need a Disney+ subscription, because events from the new shows will factor into forthcoming films such as Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. The Scarlet Witch will be a key character in that movie, and Feige points out that the Loki series will tie in, too. “I’m not sure we’ve actually acknowledged that before,” he says. “But it does.”

Soooooo...bets? Does this blackmail help Disney+, or does it hurt Marvel Movies?
It does seem like a (small) gamble, the payoff for which is not immediately apparent. I also wonder if the connections between the streaming series and the films will actually be all that central to the movies. The folks who did The Dark Tower had visions in their heads of a series and a film that would be inextricably linked, but they couldn't pull it off for whatever reason.

Some MCU art is floating around the interwebs. No spoilers (I don't think), just large images.

The Falcon
Spoiler :

The Winter Soldier
Spoiler :

Sharon Carter (I can't remember, did they ever call her 'Agent 13' in the movies?)
Spoiler :

USAgent
Spoiler :

Peggy Carter emerging from Dr. Erskine's machine with her new guns.
Spoiler :

Steve Rogers, in some kind of mech suit.
Spoiler :

Captain Britain
Spoiler :

Kate Bishop and Clint Barton
Spoiler :

I could'a sworn I saw a new pic of Zemo in his purple mask somewhere, but I can't find it now. Oh well.

I'm trying not to get too excited. I don't think it's working.

p.s. Watching the trailer a second time, I note that The Monitor chooses Earth-38 as the heroes' battlefield. Earth-38 is where Supergirl takes place, so if the trailer is to be believed, the Argo City Kara watches disintegrate may not be an alternate-Argo City.

p.p.s. Trailers are not to be believed.

Last edited:
I watched the most recent, pre-Crisis episodes of Supergirl and The Flash. Has anyone been watching Arrow or Black Lightning? Should I watch the last ep or two before Crisis starts, or is it not necessary?

Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 1
Spoiler :
I wasn't expecting them to outright kill Earth-38 so fast. I was assuming that, by the end of Crisis, Earth-38 would somehow be folded onto Earth-1, mainly so that Supergirl takes place on the same Earth as the other shows. They could still do that, I guess, somehow retcon the existence of the Kryptonians and other aliens into the history of Earth-1 rather than have them all suddenly arrive as interdimensional refugees. Having Superman and Supergirl - along with 3 billion other people - suddenly show up on Earth-1 is a very different story, going forward, than if the public believes they've been there the whole time. Moreso for all of the people who are dopplegangers of the refugees. Shades of The Snap/The Blip in the MCU, in terms of being a near-cataclysmic shock to the global system. It'll be interesting to see what the writers do.

No mention of Lex Luthor or Psycho Pirate in this episode, but there's still a lot of time. I don't remember Lex playing a role in the Crisis comic, and I wondered if he might take the place of Psycho Pirate in this version, but if that was the case, he ought to have been saved from death by the Anti-Monitor, rather than the Monitor. Like I say, there's still plenty of time for this train to take a lot of different tracks. I liked the little twist that Oliver's death wasn't the death that the Monitor had foreseen, so now even he doesn't know what's going to happen.

Jonathan Kent appeared well after I'd stopped reading comics, but I see that he went on to become Superboy. When they went to 2046, I thought there might be some time-jump shenanigans that would result in Jonathan aged beyond infancy (although 26 years sounded like too big a jump, unless Kryptonians on Earth age slowly, or something).

It did stick in my craw a bit that none of the Earth-38 crew even voiced concern for the people who aren't on the show anymore. It could have added more tension to the evacuation and the fight at the tower. Instead of the cameos from Robert Wuhl and Burt Ward, I'd have preferred cameos from Alex & Kara's parents, Maggie, Wynn, Cat, James, and/or Samantha and Ruby. J'Onn didn't even say anything about the Martians, and his brother only just left. I would've written that scene with Alex and Kelly a little differently: Chaos at the evacuation site, with crowds of people waiting to board the ships that are coming and going. Kelly insists that she won't leave without James, who hasn't been located yet. Alex looks at her sympathetically, says "I understand. I wouldn't leave Kara behind, either" and kisses her. Then she tranqs Kelly unconscious and signals to a burly DEO agent, who picks Kelly up and carries her onto an evac shuttle.

Television shows do this all the time, and it always irks me. If anyone here was a fan of E.R., when Mark Green was dying they couldn't even arrange a cameo from Doug. It could have been as simple as this: Mark is at home in the closing moments of one of Anthony Edwards' final episodes. The doorbell rings. Mark opens the door and Doug is standing there with that sheepish grin on. Roll credits. They wouldn't even have had to pay Clooney to say any lines. And when Derek was killed on Grey's Anatomy, Christina would've been on the next plane back to Seattle.

I rewatched Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home over the holidays. The latter was funnier than I'd remembered. All the stuff with Mysterio didn't really hold up to a second viewing, but the hour or so of the kids and the two dopey teachers on vacation in Europe was well worth it. I kind of wished we could've just had a whole movie of that.

Elsewhere: The release date for WandaVision has been moved up a full year, to Fall 2020; there'll be a new trailer for The New Mutants soon, so I guess that movie isn't dead; and Moon Knight may feature both Werewolf by Night and Count Dracula. Werewolf by Night was in the comic, so that's canonical, but I like the idea of Moon Knight really diving into the supernatural stuff. Otherwise, he's kind of a Batman clone. I still want to see some of Moonie's classic villains, though: Druid Walsh, Scarlett, Black Spectre, and especially Morpheus. With the announcement of Blade's recasting, I could imagine a team something like the comic-book Defenders, although they won't be able to call them The Defenders. Doctor Strange, Blade, Moon Knight, Valkyrie, Scarlett Witch. Hulk and Hellcat were both Defenders in the comics, although I'm not sure either of their MCU iterations would fit.

Coincidentally, I heard an interview with Bill Sienkiewicz the other day. Among other things, after more than 35 years, I've found out how to pronounce his name. :lol: (It's "sin-KAY-vich.")

Top Bottom