1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I loved Atomic Blonde. Bought the bluray and the CD soundtrack.

EgonSpengler and Laurana Kanan like this.
  2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

With Atomic Blonde and Fury Road alone, I think Charlize Theron has become my top action star. The Old Guard isn't at the level of those two movies, but how many are? I haven't seen The Huntsman: Winter's War, and I'm not really planning to, but a top-shelf action movie with Theron and Emily Blunt is a dream of mine. Imagine if Blunt could appear in Atomic Blonde 2 as Theron's antihero rival or villain..? (Would a cameo by Linda Hamilton or Michelle Yeoh be gilding the lily? Probably.)

tjs282 likes this.
  3. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Deadline, 16 July 2020 - "James Patterson, Conde Nast reviving The Shadow in new original book series"

I hope these are set in the '30s, albeit written for a modern audience, and aren't an updating of the character to the 21st Century. I know Patterson only by name and by some of the film adaptations of his novels, Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider. I don't know if he's actually a good writer. We'll see, I guess.

4. Cutlass

I thought that was a pretty good movie. Not related to other superhero stuff. But the end credits, I noticed it was written by Greg Rucka, who has written a lot of superhero comics, like Batwoman.

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I'm not familiar with his work, but I see he's won a few Eisner Awards. Wikipedia also says he won a GLAAD Media Award for writing in Detective Comics, so that was probably his Batwoman story.

6. Cutlass

He wrote Batwoman: Elegy, which is pretty much the foundation of the modern Batwoman stories.

7. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Yep, that was his Detective Comics run. I never read it, but I remember being impressed with the artwork, which was always the primary thing that drew me to comics.

Spoiler :

Cutlass likes this.
  8. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Mercatrix Citrorum Moderator

All I can say is it's about damn time. I may have to start reading comics. Too bad we don't get the CW here.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  9. Cutlass

I'm not really that fond of the CW shows. But all of them are appearing on Netflix, so you'll be able to catch it eventually. I don't know where the Batwoman show is going, now that they've fired the lead actress. They have a plan to try again with a different actress, but who knows what that will look like? :dunno: The show only very vaguely looked like any of the Batwoman comics I've seen.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

A year or two ago I was standing in line talking to a trans woman and the little boy with her who were holding their stacks of comics (remember standing in line and making conversation with strangers? *sighs wistfully*). I started talking to them about comics, and when I mentioned that I hadn't read a lot of comics in the last 20 years, the woman said "they've gotten a lot better since then." It wasn't a long conversation, so I didn't get any details, but perhaps one can hypothesize about what she meant.

The website streams the most recent 5 episodes, which is how I watch them. Once the seasons are complete, as Cutlass says, Netflix gets them.

Yeah, the shows are fun, but I probably wouldn't put any of them on my "all-time faves" list. They're great for the evenings when I'm feeling kind of burned out and don't want anything too serious, or anything that requires a lot of attention. I find Ruby Rose a really wooden actor, and these shows have a very good track record for casting their leads, so there's a chance her replacement will at least be an improvement in that department. I think Grant Gustin (The Flash), Melissa Benoist (Supergirl), and Cress Williams (Black Lightning) have embodied and defined their superhero characters as much as Christopher Reeve, Hugh Jackman and Robert Downey Jr did theirs.

Cutlass likes this.
  11. Cutlass

12. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

"The Punisher would be a lot prettier if he smiled more." :lol:

tjs282 likes this.
  13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Bits n' bobs:

The Boys has already been renewed for a 3rd season. I guess they're pretty confident that season 2 kicks [gluteus maximus]. That's a comic I never read, but I think I read that the "Stormfront" character, introduced in season 2, has been gender-flipped, which is interesting, considering that I think the various White Pride movements have been pretty male-dominated, if not outright misogynist.

Netflix is talking to Greg Rucka, Gina Prince Bythewood, and Charlize Theron about a sequel to The Old Guard. So maybe that answers the question of whether any of them had signed a multi-project deal. The article I read said that Theron likes to alternate her action movies with less-arduous stuff, because of the physical training, so she might want to do a comedy or a drama before doing another action film, and Atomic Blonde 2 is also somewhere in development. So The Old Guard 2 may not be right around the proverbial corner.

The New Mutants had a panel at ComicCon@Home and premiered some new footage. So I guess that's still a thing. I know I'm probably just a glutton for punishment, but I still sort of want to see it. That actually was a comic I read, back in the day, I like the cast, and I like the concept of it as a horror film. It will likely end up being connected to nothing, and will probably not get a sequel even if it turns out to be good, both of which are kind of unusual for superhero properties these days. :lol:

14. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

There is a not-insubstantial number of women in the far-right cohort these days that are used to recruit and normalize its views, to the point of outright Nazi apologism. They're popular in the -chan communities and places like tinychat/icanhazchat. I think it can work.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  15. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I don't know if this series is intended to fit into the MCU, except that it's being released after Marvel Television has folded up its tents (no more Agents of SHIELD, Cloak & Dagger or Runaways). Unless this is just a lagging production that was so far along they decided to see it through rather than lose all of the sunk costs, in the same way The New Mutants is being released even though Fox technically doesn't make X-Men movies anymore.

But if it is part of the MCU, one can imagine it being part of a rollout of the super-team who used to be called "The Defenders" but won't be called that anymore. Gabriel Luna's Ghost Rider series was canceled before it even went into production, but I thought he was great in AoS and wouldn't mind seeing him return. They already announced the reboot of Blade. Could the MCU "scoop" DC/Warner Bros again, and put a team of supernatural heroes on the screen before Justice League Dark?

Blade, Ghost Rider, the Helstrom twins, possibly Moon Knight, possibly Doctor Strange and/or The Scarlet Witch. Mahershala Ali definitely has the chops to head up a cast, and Blade could be the leader for such a team in the way Steve Rogers was for the Avengers, while Doctor Strange sort of takes the Tony Stark role. I think it'd be fun if this Blade has actually been around since the 1970s, and he just hasn't aged much in the last 40 years - like, he was in his early 20s in the 1970s and in the 2020s he's physically in his early 40s even though he's actually 70-something. I know, I'm probably dreaming.

16. Cutlass

It was a little interesting when Whedon added Enver Gjokaj to the short season of Agent Carter, and then brought him into Agents of Shield. Whedon has often reused actors from his previous TV shows in his new ones. Then he arranged for Dichen Lachman to be in an episode. Both worked for Whedon on the show Dollhouse, and had a good chemistry together there, and their performances were praised.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  17. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

I agree with you that Ali would be great as Blade, but it would be a little weird seeing him in that role, when he already played Cottonmouth in Luke Cage S1.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    EgonSpengler likes this.
  18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I think Sousa is the best new addition to the team in years. I'm still undecided on the romance with Daisy, but my initial "gut" reaction was positive. I read somewhere that some folks were tutting about the age difference between Gjokaj and Bennet, but that honestly hadn't even occurred to me until I read it.

I know what you mean, I'm generally averse to recasting actors within the same "universe" - a particularly tough task for the MCU, with its myriad, coexisting properties. Still, this particular recasting isn't bothering me, because I felt that Ali and his character got short shrift in Luke Cage.

tjs282 likes this.
  19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Season 2 of The Umbrella Academy is getting good reviews. Metacritic doesn't have a score up yet, but Rotten Tomatoes has it at 96% on 26 reviews. I needed something to look forward to for the weekend (besides the temperature dropping to a mere 85).

20. Cutlass

I missed AoS again, and try to see it on ABC streaming, and as usual, it runs so poorly it's the next thing to unwatchable.