Superheroes!

Just finished watching Capitain America: Civil War. Great movie and it was fun to watch all these characters go up against each other.. but I didn't like how .. okay, so we have some superheroes who are from America, some are from Russia.. There's France, Britain, and other countries get mentioned here and there.. But then this Black Panther shows up and he's from some made up country that sounds like a name that a bunch of non-African guys would come up with during a 15 minute brainstorming session where they were tasked with coming up with an "African-sounding" country name. So that didn't sit well with me, and also the other made up country... Like.. If you're going to have all these real countries, why all of a sudden in one movie introduce all these made up ones? Why can't Black Panther have his own country, there are so many in Africa to choose from. All the other superheroes get their own country and even state in some cases, but poor Black Panther has to be from some made up place that doesn't even exist. And yeah, I know that both these places were mentioned in a previous movie, but I was hoping those were one-offs and not a big part of the story.

Rant over. Overall the movie was great, pretty much, the themes established in many of the previous movies are sort of all coming together - it's pretty good storytelling. Plenty of character development happening too, and fun action scenes, so I was entertained throughout - and not distracted, like when I was watching Ant Man or the first Captain America movie.

There are some things I am a bit confused about. When did we meet the guy with wings? I vaguely remember him just sort of showing up in iron man 3 maybe? But like, who the hell is he? I thought he might be a one-off, but he's here to stay it seems, so who is he?

Also, spider man showed up, and said that he's been spiderman for 6 months. Is there a spider man movie I should have watched before this movie? I don't think so, but figured I'd ask just in case I completely misunderstood our last conversation about this.

Other than that I am looking forward to the next movies on the list: Spiderman: homecoming, doctor strange, black panther, Thor: ragnarok, avengers: infinity war, and so on

I assumed so, but it still sucks that Black Panther gets the shaft while everyone else gets a real country to represent and defend. Couldn't they have changed this part of the story? I assumed they've been changing a lot as it is. I don't see how this made up country has to be in there because plot, but I suppose I might be pleasantly surprised when I watch the Black Panther movie (although I doubt it)

Like imagine if Captain America was from some made up north american country, like Ameriga, that would be lame. This is equally lame. I'm over it, but still lame

I assumed so, but it still sucks that Black Panther gets the shaft while everyone else gets a real country to represent and defend. Couldn't they have changed this part of the story? I assumed they've been changing a lot as it is. I don't see how this made up country has to be in there because plot, but I suppose I might be pleasantly surprised when I watch the Black Panther movie (although I doubt it)

Like imagine if Captain America was from some made up north american country, like Ameriga, that would be lame. This is equally lame. I'm over it, but still lame

Well, the point to that is that Wakanda is actually unlike any existing African nation. And you see more of that in the later movies than you've seen so far in Winter Soldier. It's more like Atlantis to the Aquaman stories or Themyscira is to Wonder Woman stories. It doesn't work as a real location.

When did we meet the guy with wings? I vaguely remember him just sort of showing up in iron man 3 maybe? But like, who the hell is he? I thought he might be a one-off, but he's here to stay it seems, so who is he?
If I'm not misremembering (again!), Sam ("Falcon") first shows up in Winter Soldier ("On your left ... on your left ... on your left...")

He's also part of the big fight scene at the beginning of Age of Ultron (? The one where the bioweapon is being stolen by the HYDRA-affiliated former SHIELD-agent, anyway) -- though I can't remember if he does much at the end of that movie.

And he has a brief cameo in Ant-Man, too, although you haven't seen that one yet, right?

(I thought) Black Panther was one of the better MCU movies so far.

Last edited:
Also, spider man showed up, and said that he's been spiderman for 6 months. Is there a spider man movie I should have watched before this movie? I don't think so, but figured I'd ask just in case I completely misunderstood our last conversation about this.
I think you were right to watch Civil War first. Like I said before... some of Homecoming takes place before Civil War... you'll see. It will all make sense soon.

Just remember that you're watching the movies out of order somewhat correct? So there are occasional plot details and easter eggs that don't match up with what they're supposed to be doing in terms of the plot development.
@Cutlass already answered it about as well as possible without spoilering too much.

Looks like none of the Spiderman movies are on Disney+ so I won't be watching any of those (at least right now)

I am on Dr. Strange now, about 30 mins left to go. I really like this one, even though I am finding all this magic stuff a bit silly. I probably like it because he goes to Kathmandu and so it was great to revisit that part of the world... but I am finding myself drawn to the story well after he leaves Kathmandu

Looks like none of the Spiderman movies are on Disney+ so I won't be watching any of those (at least right now)
I'm pretty sure there's nothing related to Infinity War & Endgame in Homecoming, and Far From Home was released and takes place after those movies.

One of the nice things Sony/Marvel did with their Spider-Man reboot was to not retell his origin story.

I am on Dr. Strange now, about 30 mins left to go. I really like this one, even though I am finding all this magic stuff a bit silly. I probably like it because he goes to Kathmandu and so it was great to revisit that part of the world... but I am finding myself drawn to the story well after he leaves Kathmandu
Amazon Prime is renting Homecoming right now for $4 USD.

I generally enjoyed all the MCU movies, some much less, some much more than others, but the three MCU movies that surprised me the most, in terms of how much I liked them, compared to my expectations, were, in no particular order... Iron Man, Dr. Strange, and Guardians Vol 1. That's not to say these were my three favourites, its more that with all 3, I went in with very low expectations... I thought they would be stupid, or that I wouldn't enjoy them, and all three blew my expectations away. There were several MCU films that I fully expected to be awesome going in and there were others, like Ant-Man & The Wasp that were OK, and slightly better than I expected... but with those three I got something that was awesome and vastly exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:
I felt the same way about Dr. Strange, sort of. I remember when this movie first came out and I saw previews and I thought "well this looks stupid". Then I put the movie on (yesterday) and as soon as he goes to Kathmandu my interest shot way up. So admittedly the story drew me in for that reason, I was happy to see the city again, but I remained interested throughout. Overall I found the movie good, although better early on and lacking a similarly strong ending. But good nevertheless. To be fair the part I didn't like was how they just accepted him into the monastery and showed him all the magic. That seemed a bit too easy. But ah well

I thought Black Panther was alright. Overall a pretty good movie, but there are just some plot holes that kept me a bit distracted and I didn't like all the characters. The CIA dude was a chump and for the most part just played his token white guy helper dude role well. As part of the story it worked but otherwise a bit meh. The Black Panther dude is cool though, I liked him back when he showed up in (Civil war?)

Thor: Ragnarok is up next.

It's almost hard to remember now - so much has happened since then, it seems like it was 20 years ago - but Guardians of the Galaxy was kind of a phenomenon for a minute. iirc, it came out late in the Summer and stayed in theaters longer than expected, just because people kept going to see it. I think it surprised everybody.

To be fair the part I didn't like was how they just accepted him into the monastery and showed him all the magic. That seemed a bit too easy. But ah well
There is an explanation for that, but I think you're right, I think it wasn't spelled out in the movie. I wonder if there's a scene or even a line of dialogue that ended up on the proverbial cutting-room floor.

I think The Ancient One was already aware of Steven Strange, and was expecting him. She didn't really need to get to know him, or "vet" him, or anything mundane like that. I think she even knew she was going to die, that he was going to be the next Sorcerer Supreme. There's a single, almost-throwaway line of dialogue in Endgame that supports my theory.

(Small Endgame spoiler.)
Spoiler :
When Bruce arrives on the roof of the Sanctum Sanctorum in Manhattan, he says "I'm looking for Steven Strange" and The Ancient One says "You're about 5 years too early; he's performing surgery 20 blocks north of here." That one line of dialogue tells us that she knows all about Strange, including why someone from the future might be looking for him.

[EDIT: Oops. Didn't mean to put spoiler tags around that whole paragraph.]

Last edited:
You must be right about Guardians of the Galaxy because that's a movie I actually saw in the theatre, and at the time superheroes did not interest me at all. But the previews made it look like a fun sci-fi flick and others in our friend's group wanted to see it too. And so I ended up liking it (but it did not make me want to watch more Marvel movies). When I walked out of the theatre I thought that Guardians was a Star Wars like movie, but the humour was done right. In the latest SW movies it's sort of hit/miss/cringe. I thought that seeing the big bad guy sitting on a throne at the end was stupid, but now that I've re-watched this movie in the proper context of the greater story, that makes a lot more sense.

Thor: Ragnarok is a weird movie. I have about 30 minutes left. Who wrote this movie, a 12 year old on acid? Well, it's entertaining at least and I have no idea what's going to happen next.

The film received praise for its acting and Waititi's direction, as well as the action sequences, humor, and musical score, with many critics considering it to be the best installment of the Thor films

Lol what? What are these critics smoking? This was the weakest of the 3. Entertaining but just because it was so bizarre, I didn't know what was coming next, so it kept my attention that way. But it just seems like they didn't know what to do so they kept throwing curveballs and it felt like a filler movie overall. Although maybe it does fit into the overall story in some clever way? I guess I'll see

Last edited:
The tiniest of Easter Eggs? Someone pointed out that, at the end of the fight scene between The Punisher and the inmates in episode 209 of Daredevil, the blood on Frank's shirt forms the iconic skull. Of course I had to look, and I kind of see it, now it's been pointed out to me. It's a nice little detail if it was deliberate, and downright spooky if it wasn't. :lol:

Also, is Nobu the best pure hand-to-hand fighter in the MCU? (By "pure", I mean zeroing-out relevant super-powers.) Iron Fist was a dud, this version of Elektra is a little different from the one in the comic, and we haven't seen Shang-Chi yet.

You must be right about Guardians of the Galaxy because that's a movie I actually saw in the theatre, and at the time superheroes did not interest me at all. But the previews made it look like a fun sci-fi flick and others in our friend's group wanted to see it too. And so I ended up liking it (but it did not make me want to watch more Marvel movies). When I walked out of the theatre I thought that Guardians was a Star Wars like movie, but the humour was done right. In the latest SW movies it's sort of hit/miss/cringe. I thought that seeing the big bad guy sitting on a throne at the end was stupid, but now that I've re-watched this movie in the proper context of the greater story, that makes a lot more sense.

Thor: Ragnarok is a weird movie. I have about 30 minutes left. Who wrote this movie, a 12 year old on acid? Well, it's entertaining at least and I have no idea what's going to happen next.

Lol what? What are these critics smoking? This was the weakest of the 3. Entertaining but just because it was so bizarre, I didn't know what was coming next, so it kept my attention that way. But it just seems like they didn't know what to do so they kept throwing curveballs and it felt like a filler movie overall. Although maybe it does fit into the overall story in some clever way? I guess I'll see

There's a comic series called "Planet Hulk". Thor: Ragnarok is actually blending that in to the Thor series just because Hulk didn't get a really proper solo movie.

I've been working my way through Legends of Tomorrow on Nexflix. And it really brought home the thought that with all these CW DC comics TV shows, the larger the number of characters involved in any fight scene, the stupider the scene is choreographed. :p

I thought Black Panther was alright. Overall a pretty good movie, but there are just some plot holes that kept me a bit distracted and I didn't like all the characters. The CIA dude was a chump and for the most part just played his token white guy helper dude role well. As part of the story it worked but otherwise a bit meh. The Black Panther dude is cool though, I liked him back when he showed up in (Civil war?)
Yes Chadwick Boseman first shows up in Civil War to enact his vengeance on Bucky for killing his father... the failure of him to do so/mercy he shows Bucky becoming a major plot point of Black Panther.

And yes I think its telling that you call Agent Ross the "token white dude" in the movie, and I can see how you view him that way, although if you'll indulge just a little, I can offer some additional perspective on that.

For me growing up, there were no black main protagonist/superheroes for the most part. Black characters, if at all, were generally relegated to either "token" roles, sidekick roles (like Lando Calrissian for instance), stereotypical stock minor characters, or roles as villains. But that's just the way it was... you were used to it, so it didn't distract you, or impede your ability to fully enjoy the story... every movie was like that, so you just learned to accept/deal with it.

In Black Panther, Agent Ross is a white version/nod to the type of character that black people have been watching their whole lives in movies featuring an almost all white cast. It's kind of like "hey we're doing an mostly black cast, but lets put in a white sidekick". So to hear you say that he was "a chump" to you, and complain that there was only one "token" white character essentially vindicates that point... and I suspect he was intended to make that point... that black audiences have always had to just accept that the only black character in the latest blockbuster action movie was going to be an Agent Ross type of character.

Case in point... I dressed up as Nick Fury from The Avengers for Halloween this year. Would you ever consider dressing up as Agent Ross?

Note that Agent Ross isn't even the only white character in the film with a significant role. Ulysses Klaue (Claw) for instance is another significant character in the movie, but I get what you're saying because he's a villain, so you weren't really talking about that. Klaue's henchmen, the museum curator and the other Shield agents at their hideout are also all white and some of those even have a good amount of dialogue, but again, I empathize with the fact that you weren't really focused on them when you called Agent Ross a "token" white character. What you're referring to, I gather, is that there wasn't a white main protagonist, which I agree, is very unusual and I can imagine how that would grate against your immersion, because its so unusual. Just consider that for black viewers, like me... its always been like that. ;). In any case I'm glad you liked it, I really enjoyed it as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom