1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Yeah, the Star-Lord scene was insanely contrived. I have to turn my mind off when I know that scene's coming up because otherwise it'll sink the movie for me.

warpus and EgonSpengler like this.
  2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

3. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Today is when the rights to Daredevil and associated characters reverted to Disney/Marvel.

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

5. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Remember, Umbaku lost... so I wouldn't bet on anyone imitating that entrance.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

A little burst of Hawkeye news yesterday. I know a lot of people enjoy him as the butt of jokes, but I always thought he was underused in The Avengers. I like Jeremy Renner, and I've always been more partial to the superheroes who have 'lower-tier' powers, like the people who are martial artists but have one super-power or something like that. Hawkeye was never a well-developed character when I read comics, so I feel like there's room there for the MCU to be a little creative. I know nothing about Matt Fraction & David Aja's comic, but that it was highly-regarded, and those guys did The Immortal Iron Fist a few years earlier, which I did read (and which the Netflix Iron Fist show ought to have been based on, but sadly wasn't). I also know nothing about the new Hawkeye.

Bit n' bobs:
    • Filming of the Hawkeye Disney+ series has begun in New York City. I suppose this means the series is penciled in for a Fall 2021 premier?
    • I think Hailee Steinfeld was already rumored to have been cast as Kate Bishop, the new Hawkeye, but now it's confirmed.
    • Alaqua Cox, a hearing-impaired Native American has been cast to play Echo, a hearing-impaired Native American who was an adversary of Daredevil in the comics. Cox is so young, she has no Wikipedia page and her IMDb entry shows only Hawkeye.
    • Tony Dalton (not to be confused with Timothy Dalton - I misread the name initially, myself) has been cast as The Swordsman, an old (like, from the 1960s) adversary of Hawkeye. I'd guess he'll be Renner's problem, while Cox's Echo will be Steinfeld's nemesis. One can imagine the two duos - the middle-aged guys and the young women - all battling onscreen simultaneously.
    • Vera Farmiga has been cast as Hailee Steinfeld's mom.
    • The series will take place post-Endgame.
    • Florence Pugh will be in the series. I suspect her role will be small, but who knows?

I dunno, man, if Francis Ngannou fought no-powers, no-suit T'Challa in the UFC, I might put my money on Ngannou. That guy's a behemoth. Now that I think about it, Georges St. Pierre was in The Winter Soldier. Casting Ngannou as a 1-line killer in Black Panther 2 would be awesome.

BenitoChavez likes this.
  7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

I'm not doubting his prowess, either irl or as a character. You liked the vegetarian line. May fav was:

"Witness the might of the Jabari... first hand!"

EgonSpengler likes this.
  8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It makes him look like an idiot who doesn't get to be called a superhero. If I was the other superhero dudes I'd have demoted him.

9. Cutlass

Which scene are you all talking about?

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

When they almost defeated Thanos (in Infinity War IIRC), Starlord came in and started slapping him around, which caused him to wake up and just barely keep his glove on his hand.

Leading to the death of trillions of life forms. (except trees it seems, why weren't they included actually? None of the vegetation seemed to be affected)

11. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Carrots lives are sacred. Didn’t you know?

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Seems a bit suspicious that only the lifeforms that can move around and defend themselves got 50%leted. I bet Thanos retired to that country house so he could have some fun with all those carrots and cucumbers, if you know what I mean (I mean he's actually an extremist vegetarian and master chef)

13. BenitoChavez

Well if you get rid of 50% of all life at random without taking into account specific species, some species are going to get their population reduced more than others. So perhaps Earth vegetation got by with hardly any losses whereas on some other planet the vegetation got almost entirely wiped out (Sucks to be an alien animal that eats those plants though). It evens out to 50% taking everything into account.

14. Synsensa

He didn't have beef with vegetation.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That doesn't grok though, because then you'd expect to have the same thing happen with walking lifeforms on various planets too - some planets would not be affected at all or much at all, while others would be hit hard. But that's not what was shown and implied on screen.

It really does appear as Thanos is not very good at wielding the English language. And/or has a child's understanding of biology.

16. BenitoChavez

What planets other than Earth do we see post snap? I can only think of Titan which is already dead and Thanos’s retirement planet which maybe Thanos excluded, I dunno.

But the real answer is the writers only thought about the sentient beings because that’s what the audience really cares about. It’s only nerds like us who like to argue on the internet who start dealing with the real world ramifications of killing half of all life.

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Did they though? If that's what they thought then it would have been in the script. But instead the script is about "life".

18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I'm not sure how much of this has been confirmed yet, but the casting news of the last couple of days for the 3rd Sony/MCU Spider-Man movie is pretty epic: Jamie Foxx was already confirmed, and of course we knew we had J. K. Simmons, but now we have Alfred Molina, Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Kirsten Dunst, Emma Stone, and Charlie Cox. Supposedly. I haven't seen any mention of Miles Morales yet, but if they're going full Into the Spider-Verse, could Stone be playing the "Spider-Gwen" version of Gwen Stacy?

19. Cutlass

https://twitter.com/DRMovieNews1/status/1336403720301649926

Saw that.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  20. Synsensa

This movie is going to be a must see. I'm hyped.

EgonSpengler likes this.