Superheroes!

A Glamour interview with Elizabeth Olsen doesn't provide any juicy details about her MCU work, but there's one quote I find promising.
Glamour Magazine said:
Elizabeth has been living in leafy Richmond [she ‘loves’ it] with her musician fiancé Robbie Arnett since October, while filming another Marvel franchise, Dr Strange 2, alongside Benedict Cumberbatch. “It’s a bonkers movie, they’re definitely going for that horror show vibe,” she tells me.
'Bonkers' is good. I like 'bonkers.' And I love the idea of this being a horror movie (albeit one that has to be PG-13, I suppose). I think I've mentioned it before, but there was a Doctor Strange story with guest stars Scarlet Witch and Monica Rambeau (then called Capt. Marvel) that featured perhaps literature's first 'supervillain.' I had thought the comic also featured Blade, but I looked it up and I guess I'm misremembering, because the Marvel Database page says it was Hannibal King. Maybe I'm conflating it with another story that stars Strange and Blade. In this story, our man from Transylvania comes to New York looking for the Darkhold, which of course we saw in the MCU just recently. I know they introduced Mahershala Ali as the new Blade a while back - was it before the pandemic? 2019? - but I can't recall if they specifically linked the character to Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. They've certainly set up the pieces on the gameboard. I think there are also some key parts of House of M that didn't make it into WandaVision, which they could still use.

Spoiler :

This isn't exactly a spoiler for episode 6 of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I still say you should go and watch that before you read this.

Spoiler :
The Hollywood Reporter, 23 April 2021 - 'Captain America 4' in the Works With 'Falcon and the Winter Soldier' Showrunner Malcolm Spellman

THR said:
The head writer and creator of Disney+ and Marvel's The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is developing a fourth installment of the Captain America film franchise for Marvel Studios. Spellman will co-write the script with Dalan Musson, a staff writer on Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

If you have Disney Plus, then sure.

Now that those shows have been all played, can they be binged?
Yes. WandaVision is an especially good candidate for binge watching, because the episodes are mostly only 30 mins. The difference is that WandaVision will be totally incomprehensible unless you have seen all the MCU movies and familiarized yourself with the comics... whereas The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is perfectly fine as a standalone.

In any case, both shows were excellent. I've got high expectations for Loki.

I'm not sure that all the films are required watching. Age of Ultron, certainly, maybe also Civil War and of course Infinity War/Endgame. F&WS does require knowing who the hell Captain America was and so on, so Captain America and The Winter Soldier are pretty much required viewing.

The difference is that WandaVision will be totally incomprehensible unless you have seen all the MCU movies and familiarized yourself with the comics...
I don't think reading the comics is necessary to understand WandaVision. I have only seen the MCU movies, and I could follow it without any problem.

I don't even think you even really need to have seen all the MCU movies, just the relevant ones (Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War + Endgame, what did I miss?). Granted, I probably missed more than a few eastereggs that comics-readers might have picked up on, but those I would regard more as fanservice than essential to the story.

I'm not sure that all the films are required watching. Age of Ultron, certainly, maybe also Civil War and of course Infinity War/Endgame. F&WS does require knowing who the hell Captain America was and so on, so Captain America and The Winter Soldier are pretty much required viewing.
That's fair. Thinking about it, some of the humor in TFATWS would also get missed without having seen Doctor Strange, etc., and some of the deeper meaning of the series is lost without having seen everything they went through to get there.
I don't think reading the comics is necessary to understand WandaVision. I have only seen the MCU movies, and I could follow it without any problem.

I don't even think you even really need to have seen all the MCU movies, just the relevant ones (Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War + Endgame, what did I miss?). Granted, I probably missed more than a few eastereggs that comics-readers might have picked up on, but those I would regard more as fanservice than essential to the story.
Again, also fair. However, I do agree that WandaVision has a ton of easter eggs that you completely miss without being familiar with not only most of the MCU, but a ton of other stuff, including American sit-coms in general, even certain specific ones. Just a few big things that spring to mind that you would have to had familiarity with other-than-MCU content to get is Quicksilver, Agatha, and the Halloween costumes. I think that WandaVision especially was really heavy on easter eggs and rewarding familiarity with outside content.

Yes. WandaVision is an especially good candidate for binge watching, because the episodes are mostly only 30 mins. The difference is that WandaVision will be totally incomprehensible unless you have seen all the MCU movies and familiarized yourself with the comics... whereas The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is perfectly fine as a standalone.

In any case, both shows were excellent. I've got high expectations for Loki.

It'd be too much to find all the comics.

The comics are really not necessary. Besides, if you really want to catch up on all the Easter eggs, Den of Geek did an episodic run-down of all of them.

I think the issue with Infinity War and Endgame is that you should have seen many of the preceding films. At this point, any new viewers who don't want to go back and watch the movies are just jumping aboard a moving train. On the one hand, you'll figure stuff out as you go. On the other hand, if you're reluctant to watch the movies, I guess I'm not sure what you're doing here in the first place, but welcome, anyway! :D

As for the Easter Eggs for readers of the comics, I agree, I don't think you need to be familiar with those. I had/have no idea about White Vision, for example, who I think appeared in West Coast Avengers back in the day, a comic I never really read. House of M never proved key to WandaVision, and the name and nature of the book was never mentioned, I don't think. In fact, right now, I'm not even sure why I'm sure it was the Darkhold. I think maybe one of the writers said so, in an interview. So I think it really doesn't matter if you know what the Darkhold is.

I think the issue with Infinity War and Endgame is that you should have seen many of the preceding films.
I — and now, I notice, @Arakhor as well :blush: — was speaking exclusively about the comprehensibility of WandaVision, though. And those 4 MCU movies are (IIRC) the only ones featuring Wanda + Vision, so provide the complete backstory needed for the miniseries.

I mean, it could be argued that Captain Marvel is also needed to understand Rambeau's backstory — and by logical extension that Thor I + II are also needed to explain Darcy ("Why is Gamora Darcy?"). But neither of these people are the protagonists of WV, and what they did in earlier movies is not really relevant to this story, here.
In fact, right now, I'm not even sure why I'm sure it was the Darkhold. I think maybe one of the writers said so, in an interview.
Didn't
Spoiler :
Agatha
say so to Wanda, in one of the later episodes — possibly the same one when
Spoiler :
she kidnapped the twins?

Last edited:
Before Endgame came out, there was a five-minute catch-up video doing the rounds, summarising the important plot-points of the other films at breakneck speed. It might be worth tracking that down if you're really pressed for time.

I — and now, I notice, @Arakhor as well :blush: — was speaking exclusively about the comprehensibility of WandaVision, though. And those 4 MCU movies are (IIRC) the only ones featuring Wanda + Vision, so provide the complete backstory needed for the miniseries.
Yes, I understood. I just meant that (a) one could watch WandaVision without having seen any of the preceding films and enjoy it just fine, but (b) there's no reason not to watch all or most of the preceding films, because they're all a series and they're all varying degrees of fun. WandaVision is 'part 24' of an ongoing saga (or is it 23? I've lost track :lol: ). Can you jump into a story with part 24? Yes, of course, but watching parts 1-23 first would be better.

I mean, it could be argued that Captain Marvel is also needed to understand Rambeau's backstory — and by logical extension that Thor I + II are also needed to explain Darcy ("Why is Gamora Darcy?"). But neither of these people are the protagonists of WV, and what they did in earlier movies is not really relevant to this story, here.
Didn't
Spoiler :
Agatha
say so to Wanda, in one of the later episodes — possibly the same one when
Spoiler :
she kidnapped the twins?
You'd also need to have seen Doctor Strange to have a full understanding of the significance of the "Sorcerer Supreme".

TBH I don't see how anyone makes it through the first two episodes of WandaVision without being fully invested in the MCU, and therefore knowing that there is more than meets the eye... especially that first episode... that one was brutal as a standalone.

I had a brief 'Where are all the other superheroes?' moment while rewatching the terrorist attack on the faux-UN building in New York City, which was being broadcast live on television in the Falcon finale. I guess there are fewer superheroes living in New York City in the MCU than there were in the comics back in the day.

TBH I don't see how anyone makes it through the first two episodes of WandaVision without being fully invested in the MCU, and therefore knowing that there is more than meets the eye... especially that first episode... that one was brutal as a standalone.

If you like old sitcoms, you could easily enjoy the first three episodes for what they are.

Top Bottom