1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superheroes!

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I watched plenty of Bewitched growing up (mostly the colour episodes) because my mother was a fan. Also Mork & Mindy etc. (which is why to this day that I know of Boulder, Colorado). :)

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Apparently today is "National Superhero Day"? As decreed by Marvel Comics in 1995. [party]

BenitoChavez likes this.
  3. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Legends of Tomorrow is completely insane. :lol:

4. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Is that a pink Yoda?

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Pink and fuzzy.

6. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

WT actual F did I just watch...?
    Yoda as designed by Dr Suess

7. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Or Ken Kesey.

tjs282 likes this.
  8. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Despite what it says, this is actually not a trailer for The Eternals, it's kind of a trailer for the whole next phase of the MCU, including a couple of new little bits that I won't spoil.

Clubber Lang and Laurana Kanan like this.
  9. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Watched that "trailer" earlier this morning, and "Wow!" :eek: That's a whole lotta movies coming up. Four this year and four next year. I've been a bit disappointed in the DSNP TV shows, but this slate of films has me pretty excited. I wonder if these will all be considered Phase IV as I really don't see a book end film like the various Avengers. The DCU better get their butts in gear. :lol:

Black Widow - July 9, 2021
    Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - September 3, 2021
    Eternals - November 5, 2021
    Spider-Man (III): No Way Home - December 17, 2021
    Doctor Strange (II) in the Multiverse of Madness - March 25, 2022
    Thor (IV): Love and Thunder - May 6, 2022
    Black Panther (II): Wakanda Forever - July 8, 2022
    The Marvels (II) - November 11, 2022
    Antman and the Wasp (III): Quantumania - February 17, 2023
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - May 5, 2023
    Fantastic Four tease - ??? :eekdance:

Clubber Lang and EgonSpengler like this.
  10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I don't see a single bookend film on the horizon, either. The multiverse story seems to be one common thread, but I wonder if they're setting up more than one ongoing story arc.

Laurana Kanan likes this.
  11. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

:lol:

tjs282 and Sommerswerd like this.
  12. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Bookend? :confused: From Disney??:dubious: Yeah, that's not happening :nope:

Like I said before... Disney is gonna show folks how to make some goddamned money :yup: "bookend" Pfft :lol:

"Did you sayyyy... 'Over'??... NOTHING IS OVER UNTIL WE DECIDE IT IS!!:mad:"
    That trailer makes it seem like they are singlehandedly trying to resurrect the entire movie theatre industry. For my part, I know I'll be going :popcorn:

13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

From around the web:

Rolling Stone, 3 May 2021 - "How Benedict Cumberbatch’s Dr. Strange Almost Appeared in ‘WandaVision’"
    Den of Geek, 3 May 2021 - "Did Marvel Studios Just Tease Fantastic Four Movie Release Date?"
    I noted the absence of Blade from the sizzle-reel above, too. I think either they're going to introduce Blade in one of the other movies first, or they want Fantastic Four to be their 'headliner' of that year, and possibly the conclusion of this next phase, or both. Of course it could also be that Blade has really only gotten started on a script and they don't want to commit to a release date. The fact that they announced the actor playing him so far in advance of the film is what makes me think he'll be introduced in something else first, like Spider-Man and Black Panther.

Me too. It looks like my 2nd vacc shot will coincide nicely with the release of A Quiet Place 2. :clap:

14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

So here's a question. Since it looks like they're going with a black actor as Superman, who should play him? I've seen Michael B. Jordan named a lot. I think it's important whoever plays him is able to play a good Clark. I thought Henry Cavill was a good Superman, but I thought he was too chiseled and handsome as Clark. I think Clark needs to be a bit of a dork. Jordan's kind of jacked. It's a tough balance to strike, obviously. That's one reason Christopher Reeve was such a homerun. He was able to play, in effect, two different characters. Brandon Routh did it okay, and so far, Tyler Hoechlin has struck that balance pretty well. Hoechlin is smaller than Reeve, Routh and Cavill, and still cuts a figure in the blue suit, so I'm less committed to the idea that Clark/Superman needs to be 6'2"-6'4" than I used to be. The Web says Hoechlin is 6'0" and I think that might be an exaggeration.

Also, should any of the other iconic Superman characters also be cast with non-White actors? Lois, Lex, Jimmy, Brainiac? Ma and Pa Kent? Back when I was being dissatisfied with Amy Adams as Lois in Man of Steel, one of the actresses I thought of was Kerry Washington, who in the early seasons of Scandal, was practically playing Lois already. There was also a time when I thought Lucy Liu could have been a good Lois. But that was all years ago; I haven't seen either of those women in anything lately.

15. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Just go with an unknown. The industry desperately needs variety.

I've really only enjoyed Tom Welling's Clark Kent. Tyler Hoechlin is okay, I guess, but his iteration very much relies on the pretty-boy factor that is typical of the CW.

16. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Adding to all of the above, Tom Welling, Tyler Hoechlin, Dean Cain, and Melissa Benoist have the advantage of playing the character(s) in a television series, where you have a lot more time to develop characters more fully and without shortcuts.

I was listening to a nerdy podcast this weekend that happens to feature two Black men, and neither of them was particularly impressed that the next Superman is going to be Black. :lol: They weren't against the idea, they were just kind of nonplussed. One of them said he really just wants to see (a) a good Superman movie, and (b) a movie featuring a comic-book superhero who's already Black, like John Stewart/Green Lantern or Static. wrt the first point, I wondered if he was thinking that making Superman black is an additional complication to a character who's already tough enough to write, and who hasn't really been nailed lately anyway.

The guys in the podcast mentioned Icon, from the same Milestone Comics line as Static, but they quickly dismissed the idea of using that character in a movie. I'm not sure why. Maybe the comic just wasn't very good. I remember when Hancock came out, I was thinking the trailers looked like the movie was "What if Superman was Black?" That didn't turn out to be the case, but that's what I thought when I saw the trailers. I saw a Superman stage-play some years ago and the actor playing Clark/Superman was Black, but it was incidental. The play wasn't "Black Superman", it was just Superman.

I know that Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the script, but I have no idea what his plan or idea is. I think a lot of his nonfiction writing is about being African-American, but I don't think his (science-)fiction has focused on that. Still, the fact that they're aiming, right from the jump, for a Black actor suggest to me that the character's ethnicity isn't unimportant.

I'm also interested to see how Coates tackles the challenge of how powerful Superman is. He has some experience writing superhero comics, so this isn't his first rodeo, but it was Captain America and Black Panther, neither of whom have the literal invulnerability that Superman has. I think that's one reason the television series featuring Clark Kent and Kara Danvers have had an advantage over the films; they could concentrate on the non-super-powered aspects of the character. To my memory, Man of Steel and Batman v Superman really focused on the fact that Kal-El is a god amongst men (and I've heard that Justice League did, also). I didn't really feel like steering into the proverbial skid worked as well as I'd hoped, but I kind of saw what they were trying, and I at least appreciated the idea of acknowledging that Superman is basically a god and seeing where that takes you. I do sort of hope the next Superman movie doesn't (a) use Lex Luthor or Doomsday; (b) sap the ultra-powerful character of his powers; or (c) have the ultra-powerful character turn evil in some fashion. I guess I'm not sure what else there is to do with that character, within the confines of a feature film, but hey, I'm not writing it. :lol: I want to see how Coates approaches that conundrum.

Sommerswerd and Synsensa like this.
  17. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

New Black Widow posters, I think? Nothing new here, but I dig them. Pugh/Yelena looks like she's holding some kind of techno-staff. It looks segmented, maybe it telescopes or folds up.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

tjs282 and Sommerswerd like this.
  18. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Wait. Hang on. Somebody's doing a live-action Powerpuff Girls? The f? :lol:

19. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

I'm resigned to the expectation that a black actor playing Superman has an extremely high probability of being emotionally rejected by a large portion of the fanbase and people just generally losing their minds over it, thus subjecting the movie to irrationally high standards and excessive criticism... essentially people just bending over backwards to find excuses to hate the movie other than the fact that they just can't get into/suspend disbelief for a black actor playing Superman. In essence, I have to admit I have the Isaiah Bradley view about a people accepting a black Superman.
    One of the things that I find intriguing about Jupiter's Legacy, is that the Superheroes are strong, but not anywhere near as invulnerable as we're used to. After tough battles they are seen sporting all kinds of scars and bruises on their faces. They did some of that in the MCU movies, less so in the DCU movies. I don't remember exactly how much of that they did in The Boys, although I know they definitely did show Superheroes getting wounded or seriously injured occasionally.

As far as a black actor playing Superman goes, of course I'm going to go see it, but it's hard to get too excited, because I feel like its just getting myself all worked up for something that audiences are going to have too hard a time accepting, and I can just see myself being annoyed with all the nitpicking and backwards-bending to find excuses, other than the character being black, to explain why they don't like the film. We've been down this road so many times and I'm weary of it. In some ways, I'm more interested to see them come up with new characters, or at least, reimagine existing characters that aren't as firmly established. Superman is such an iconic character, including his look and despite the fact that he is totally made up, and thus has no "real" look/appearance, his look is going to be hard for fans to accept changes to, and easy for them to make excuses for refusing to accept changes, given how established and familiar/popular he is. I'm pretty confident that Anthony Mackie assuming the mantle of Captain America, rather than being re-cast as the original Captain America, made it a lot easier for folks to be into it.

One of the things I am enjoying about the MCU mini-series spree that they are doing, and the movies that they are planning, is that they are moving on from the original characters and focusing on new ones. By switching focus to new characters, rather than endlessly re-booting the old ones, you have more freedom to create the characters, including their demographics as you wish. Re-booting old/familiar/iconic characters is always going to create tension regarding how fans think the character is "supposed to" look.

Last edited: May 11, 2021 at 11:30 AM
    EgonSpengler likes this.
  20. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

Way easier, yes. America is an idea, and it is passed down, prodding, grasping, and sometimes gasping, through our generational relay. It's significantly more inspiring to imitate life in this regard.

... Jonathan and Martha would be pretty crystal on this dilemma.

Sommerswerd likes this.