1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Superpowered Byzantium

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Gobbledigook, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Gobbledigook

Gobbledigook Chieftain

I got a Mac, and though I appreciate that no one patches anything for them, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Whenever you play the 600 AD start, with any Civilization other than Turkey, there are TONS of bugs. The worst among them is the Byzantines. Every time I ever play, the Byzantines become a huge powerhouse. They are always the first to circumnavigate the Globe, always the first to discover Liberalism, and they build almost every wonder. By the time I have frigates, they're sinking them with submarines. Worse, Civilizations seem scared of even considering an attack on Constantinople, especially the Turks. I always have to go way out of my way to capture and then sack the city so as to not ruin the whole game.

I guess my question is, is there any way to fix this other than what I have been doing - going into WorldBuilder and removing all of their technologies in the first turn?

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

only thing I can think of

Get Windows XP or 7
    get Windows Civ IV Complete
    Patch
    Get newest RFC

yes, that is basically all you can do for it...

3. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

If you update it to 3.19, you get a better updated version. However, that comes with a game breaking glitch, so... (The game will always spawn you at either 3000BC or 600AD with a warrior and a settler, regardless of your start date. If you do anything other than wait and hit end turn for x turns, when your spawn date comes around, you lose everything, and it's replaced by what you were supposed to spawn with).

Basically, all you can do is load up bootcamp.

EDIT: Bah, how could I forget! Worldbuilder/modding always works. Just demolish most of their cities at 600 AD, and they'll be backwards the rest of the game, or mod in more soldiers for the Arabs. Either way, you get the desired result, with a side effect of stronger Arabs.

Seriously, Rhye needs to put diplomacy in for the Byzantines. Or did he finally run into a limit for how many civs he could fit in?

4. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Prince

If you care enough to go to great lengths to fix this issue, I would suggest getting crossover. You could get get bootcamp and a windows operating system, but they cost a large amount of money so that decision is up to you. Crossover creates an emulation of windows to run a windows game. If you plan on getting multiple games to play then get a windows partition via bootcamp. It is a shame more people do not port games for mac since it is a great operating system.

Could you list other bugs? The one you mentioned, though annoying, is just what occurs due to their great starting position. I have seen a fair share of times neither Arabia nor Turkey making headway in taking their land, its all luck of the game.

P.S. A better way to fix the issue (using worldbuilder) is to give Arabia Cairo and Jerusalem, and give Turkey Istanbul. This is done by going to the tile editor, going to cultural tiles or something, and then placing the cultural tile of a selected civilization on the city you want to flip. The city will than go to that civilization as if it had been culturally flipped or given in a conference.

5. Gobbledigook

Gobbledigook Chieftain

A few other bugs

1. Germany is too unstable in the Mac version. In no game that I played have they survived past the middle ages (unless I played them) and they often spawn unstable.

2. European civs don't seem to have the same technological acceleration that they do in the PC version. China is always by far the most advanced Civ in the game, and out of the 10+ times I've played through, either they or Japan is the colonial power.

3. Again with China, Mongolia is nowhere near aggressive enough. China always survives the Mongolian spawn without major difficulties, which ensures they are the powerhouse civ of the game (except Byzantium)

4. Your point on Byzantium is valid, but having played the PC version as well, the difference is striking. Even in the 1 of 10 times that Byzantium survived, they were seldom unstoppable. In the Mac version, even when I commit to destroying them, I'm often throwing Crossbowmen against Riflemen - that's how bad the disparity is.

Do you know of any patches or updates for Mac, or a way to reprogram the mod?

6. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

If the Mac version is written also in python, maybe you can give the Byzantines a -10 to -15 stability to start with.

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

It's not the first time Mac people complaining of having a too strong Byzantium.

600AD Germany is sometimes prone to collapse in PC version, too.

8. Thonnas

Thonnas Warlord

Try removing Engineering from their starting techs. It makes them more vulnerable to the Arabs, and makes them less likely to guild Nortre Dame, and generally sets them back a bit in tech.

9. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Just make Constantinople Independant. It makes all the other cities Independant, too.