Superpowered Social Policies

headcase

Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn
There are lots of arguments that Civ4 civics are better than Civ5 SPs because you can change them, they have drawbacks, etc.

For gameplay, I highly prefer the tough decision-making and lessened tech dependence of the Civ5 system, but I had an idea to add in a bit of the Civ4 feel.

Besides the first SP in each tree, each SP has a super-powered version (SSP):
* It has a different name. Some of the current names would have to be given softer names, so the current name could be used by the SPSP (for example, you can't really go much harder than Total War, so that would be the name of the SSP while the basic SP would be renamed to something softer)
* Super-powering an SP requires both that SP and a specific tech.
* Super-powering requires a revolution, and de-powering requires another revolution, but you can toggle, say, 3 SPs at once for one turn of rev.
* It basically takes the benefits of the SP and dials it up to 11, but also comes with drawbacks (the Total War SSP would be even better for war, but lower building production and growth, for example).
* SPs that are super-powered appear in green instead of blue on the SP screen.

There are lots of arguments that Civ4 civics are better than Civ5 SPs because you can change them, they have drawbacks, etc.

For gameplay, I highly prefer the tough decision-making and lessened tech dependence of the Civ5 system, but I had an idea to add in a bit of the Civ4 feel.

Besides the first SP in each tree, each SP has a super-powered version (SSP):
* It has a different name. Some of the current names would have to be given softer names, so the current name could be used by the SPSP (for example, you can't really go much harder than Total War, so that would be the name of the SSP while the basic SP would be renamed to something softer)
* Super-powering an SP requires both that SP and a specific tech.
* Super-powering requires a revolution, and de-powering requires another revolution, but you can toggle, say, 3 SPs at once for one turn of rev.
* It basically takes the benefits of the SP and dials it up to 11, but also comes with drawbacks (the Total War SSP would be even better for war, but lower building production and growth, for example).
* SPs that are super-powered appear in green instead of blue on the SP screen.

That might work well for the finishers.... ie you can spend one SP on any finished tree and get a super bonus... but only one "superbonuses" can be active at any time. (once you have 'purchased' multiple superbonuses, you can switch between them with a revolution)

As long as it's optional and I never have to see it, I'm fine with having this around. We've moved beyond Civ 4's terrible Civics implementation. I would rather that we don't backslide.

This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure about it. It seems like just adding an extra social policy to a branch. You get additional benefits in a particular area, as you would be choosing another similar social policy.

Wait, people disliked Civics from Civ4 and earlier games? I guess if all you do is play multiplayer games or play to win as efficiently as possible. If that's the goal, then yeah, Policies are much better, but civics allow a level of customization for your government that isn't possible with policies.

I sort of miss that feeling of slowly developing the different aspects of government, and being able to pick which ones I wanted based on how I imagined my government would be throughout the ages.

I prefer the civics in four over policy in 5, both however Arnt great a mix between both wouldn't be bad. Reality, anything government wise enforces there is a negative effect, perhaps putting a civic in place than adapting policies for it but at a certain point nations will choose a whole different civic restarting policies in place, which would bring back nations asking you to change your government types. I do not know, but I prefer 4s somewhat balance over the non negatives in 5.

Top Bottom