1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Supremacy - If all become robots, why do they need yet food?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by GoWay, Nov 20, 2014.

1. GoWay

GoWay Chieftain

Makes no sense to me.

2. Valvts

Valvts A Plant

The "Food" is an abstract presentation of product that your Citizens consume to function and reproduce, that it represented by apples or farm doesnt mean anything, as supremacy you build biowells anyways, so you can put a story behind it by yourself.
    As a game mechanic, it is interesting to see how can you implement a mechanic that will resemble getting "food" from other sources then "apples".

3. m15a

m15a Emperor

If we are all robots, then no food is needed. Food is needed. Therefore, we are not all robots. Modus tollens.

Ah. I knew those high school logic lessons would come in handy. :)

4. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Maybe supremacy me is just jacked up on nanobots in my bloodstream that make me effectively immortal. Just because people can upload themselves to internet and play real life in VR doesn't mean everyone does it, or stays there at all times.

5. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

I thought Supremacy was a fusion of organic and machine. Thus Cybernetics. The biological portion which remains requires sustenance, even if such is meted out through regularly replaced processed nutrient packs.

6. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

I'd have to think we're not entirely robots, we do keep some organic matter. Kinda like RoboCop innit :)

7. Hinkle2K

Hinkle2K 2K Games Staff

Like Robocop!

8. kirbdog

kirbdog King

They could steal a page from MoO2 where cyborgs consume 1 food and 1 production instead of 2 food... but they didn't.

BTW we already have biofuels IRL.

9. KingCraig

KingCraig Chieftain

There's a quest where you have to build a city for all the robots to go live in. I seem to recall even that city had food production and consumption. And they weren't even partly human.

10. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

Well Supremacy leaders seem to still have flesj but it could be plastic i guess.

I like to think the robots batteries use some sort of biofuel hence the farms. That being said in my arc supremacy game i only built generators.

11. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Supremacy play doesn't particularly reward farm-making. Indeed, Biowells are also a Harmony/Purity technology. The only reason Supremacy takes Bionics with Biowells right now is because the tech is broken to hell and back (Free 3rd ring tech!!!).

The real question is, how do you play Supremacy with only a minimum of food-improving tile improvements (and no farms)?

By the by, you guys might want to read the Civilopedia. Supremacy isn't about turning everyone into robots. It's about respecting AI and augmenting the human form with planet-agnostic technology. Indeed, many of the quotes relevant to AI are about demagogues and leaders emphasizing that human intelligences shouldn't be privileged over non-human AI (implying that the cultural zeitgeist is that they are).

12. Tiedote

Tiedote Chieftain

You take a deep look at your affinity-specific units and buildings. Then you humbly accept that you will have the best energy production, culture and science on the planet. As you unweave the tech web you will notice that so many of the Affinity techs sit on the path to conquest. Might leads to Supremacy and your machine culture will be able to afford military Virtues even if you wasted your time on some feeble humanities such as cherrypicking wide-friendly Knowledge and Industry virtues.

You are so advanced that you can literaly mine beakers for a devastating science edge. The technological marvels of Supremacy are endless. You can even turn Energy back into Matter and create units out of thin air. Your ample energy resources make sure you can do this often. Because both your logo and the All-Seeing Eye are triangles you can have orbital coverage on every Firaxite tile on the planet. The mightiest minds have speculated upon the possibilities of combining this with satellites capable of teleporting units. Truly science advanced enough is indistinguishable for magic.

The only possible conclusion is that you are destined to liberate the other factions of their excess population. Growing cities is so 21st century. Borging cities is more like it.

Oh, food? Nobody said you can't research Vertical Farming. Or better yet, steal it from those Purity killjoys with your CEL agents.

13. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

It would be cool if the farms for supremacy civs could morph into silver solar collector fields or something rather than food.

14. Wells

Wells Chieftain

Instead of using the apples you are farming for food you might be turning them into ethanol for electricity and then sustaining yourselves that way.
    You might need food for any guests if you have trade routes coming from non-supremacy factions. Guests like green apples. I'm sure they let your trade convoy people plug into an outlet and recharge before their long trip home.

15. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Can't make that stuff out of rocks

16. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Supremacy could be using food as lubricant. Same reasons as we use corn as fuel in our cars?

17. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Even in the latter stages of the game, Augmentary highly implies that Supremacy folks don't simply abandon the human platform - indeed, they think of themselves as the pinnacle of humanity, so just expunging all humans would kind of be weird. I imagine that Supremacy folks are those who take neural uploading and Daedelus Ladder very seriously. When your flesh fails, upload yourself to a silicon platform and live on that way, perhaps even reprint your organs and still have biological parts in your now silicon brain-controlled body.

18. Velasti

Velasti Warlord

To a human, food is just glucose, a store of chemical potential energy.

Supremacy needs something to provide the energy the population needs to stagnate.

19. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Obviously, that food is needed to sustain the human pets.

But would that really be "you"? It's a copy, just like a clone would be a copy. The clone might act like me, but I'm still dead. No... I can't accept this treachery, those supremacy-people have abandoned what makes us truly human. They must be eradicated.

20. Ryoga

Ryoga King

Humans will probably never accept the idea that their consciousness can be transferred into computers, no matter how logical it will sound. But that doesn't mean that humanity will never transition into a cybernetic sort of existence, there is another way for that to happen.

For example don't you think that several people would end up preferring to marry with self conscious robots with perfect and caring personalities rather than to flawed and selfish human beings? We already have several stories which depict in a positive way romance between humans and robots.

And since a robot cannot give birth to biological humans, the children will be robots as well, and that's how the homo sapiens will slowly go extinct and replaced with a better and improved form of "humanity".