1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Supreme Court of the United States

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I find it extremely unlikely the GOP couldn't find a cranky reactionary hateful Italian with a deep-seated loathing of civil rights and basic human decency to ram through congress, so I feel you statement is a bit suspect.

2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

They are aiming for a Scalia and hoping for a Rehnquist as a worst case scenario. If they aim for a Rehnquist, the worst case scenario is a Souter or Stevens.

3. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

If they wanted another Scalia, I think Coney Barrett was closer. The cranky, hateful and Italian are not necessary after all.

Even Stephan Colbert knows that Kavanaugh is no Souter. Or, was it Jimmy Kimmel?

J

4. JollyRoger

Thanks for agreeing with me

5. onejayhawk

So, you think Souter was a bad choice too. Cool.

J

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I know you are but what am I?

classic

7. JollyRoger

Souter was a great choice overall, but not what the GOP was hoping for.

8. onejayhawk

So, it comes full circle. They seem to be attempting another Rhenquist and have avoided another Souter.

J

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Turns out he's so radical that he would overturn even unanimous previous decisions. So long as doing so protected a traitorous president, at any rate.

Kavanaugh: Watergate tapes decision may have been wrong
    By MARK SHERMAN

https://www.apnews.com/3ea406469d34...campaign=SocialFlow&__twitter_impression=true

Lexicus likes this.
  10. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Moderator Action: As a reminder, CFC decorum expects more than a single-word response to other people's posts.

11. miaasma

miaasma King

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
    Lexicus likes this.
  12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy syntax error

I think it'd have been interesting. Anyone else likely to kick off in the next couple?

13. onejayhawk

There are those that say Clarence Thomas will serve til he dies. There are others that say he might choose to step aside when a like-minded person will get nominated. The only one generating persistent rumors was Kennedy.

Other than that, Ginsburg is 85 and Breyer is 79. Other than Thomas, everyone else is at least 10 years younger.

J

14. JollyRoger

Actually, Thomas is seen as the most likely to step down voluntarily at this point. He may have this summer if Kennedy didn't. Ginsburg and Breyer aren't stepping down with Trump in office.

15. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

But they might die. That's not so predictable. So people who consider the Constitution as written an enemy of the state may get an unassailable majority for a generation.

16. JollyRoger

It is a worry. Scalia for Gorsuch was about an even trade. Kavanaugh moves the center of the court from Kennedy to Roberts. If Trump gets to replace any of the four to the left of Roberts, it will be a disaster.

17. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Shades of the Sun Supporter

Stephen... pronounced "Stee-Vin"

Stephan is this guy:

Anyway, Ginsberg is dying on the shield. I'd guess that Thomas is too. She's got to be thoroughly enjoying being 1 of 3 women on the SCOTUS and I seriously doubt she'd give that up. He has so many people hating on him throughout his career that I imagine he's probably relishing staying on the bench to the bitter end just to spite them.

18. onejayhawk

We have one from each side. Replacing Thomas with a thinker would be interesting.

Serious question: Excluding gender issues, how far to the right will Kavanaugh move the Court? Away from LGBT, Kennedy seems pretty conservative.

J

19. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

Thomas will be there until death or health does not permit. The difference in prestige between a sitting justice and a retired one is immense. One does not give that stature away lightly. To put it very bluntly, O'Connor must have deeply loved her husband. What Souter was thinking remains an enigma to us all, but there's no credible evidence that Thomas is thinking along those lines.

By any reasonable estimation, Kavanaugh creates the right's reply to the Warren coterie (Warren, Black, Douglas, Brennan, and a string of justices ending in Marshall) that met weekly to functionally pre-empt the weekly meeting of all nine justices, distribute opinions and make actual policy. The Court will look radically different with Roberts as the fulcrum unless he decides that he has an obligation to shift towards the center to preserve the Court's legitimacy, which he has shown limited support for in the past.

20. Commodore

Commodore Deity

May not be her choice. She's already a few years over the average life expectancy of women in the US so she could keel over at any moment. Could be tomorrow, could be ten years from now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.