1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Supreme Court upholds assisted suicide law.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Little Raven, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Little Raven

Little Raven On Walkabout

6-3
    Remember the good old days, when Republicans actually supported the idea of federalism?

Anyway, it's good to see reason prevail. The ability to end one's life with dignity is one right that is worth defending. Roberts isn't wasting any time in revealing his true colors, though.

2. Neomega

Neomega Deity

bastard! .... mine was first! :p

3. Little Raven

Heh. Sorry about that. We'll get a mod to merge the two.

4. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

While I agree with the principal (strongly), I think this was a direct interpretation of local law, right? (and thus kept the Feds out). For assisted suicide to be legal elsewhere, a court-case wouldn't be enough, right? The permission would have to be legislated.

5. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I believe so, yes, kevorkian is not getting out of jail yet, at least until it is legalized in Michigan.

BTW, in case people did not know, the highest rate of suicide is not in teens, but in those 60 years and older.

6. Little Raven

Correct. This court case means it stays legal in Oregon. It is still illegal everywhere else.

7. El_Machinae

Thanks.

Does it only apply to citizens of Oregon, or can I take a trip there if my life starts to toilet? I could see an industry developing around the right-to-die.

8. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Good for America.

9. Kayak

Kayak Partisan

:lol: Can you imagine the comercials?

10. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator

It is a major bummer to see Roberts, Thomas, and Scalia defending federal power in this area. :(

11. Little Raven

You have to be a resident of Oregon, which means you have to live there for at least a year. (there may be other rules too)

So while this might influence where you place your retirement home, 'suicide tourism' is not going to take off anytime soon.

12. El_Machinae

Too bad. Though, they could ammend the law.

Suicide Tourism ain't a bad schtick.

13. Uiler

Uiler Emperor

Personally I think that this shows that these three justices are on the fascist side of right-wing rather than the libetarian (?sp) side of right-wing (was there any doubt though?). The first is what I term the traditional American conservative - state rights, small government etc. etc. The fascist side is the one which tries to squash dissent and concentrate power in the hands of central government and is an unholy alliance with big business. But I guess to most American conservatives this doesn't matter as long they outlaw abortion and let them stick the Ten Commandments in public government buildings :)

EDIT: And yes, I'd choose someone I trust to stick up for people's rights even if they are likely to be anti-abortion (I am extremely pro-choice but I do have doubts about that judgement anyway). My eternal lack for these three conservative justices have nothing to do with abortion but with the fact that they are Republican bootlickers and I strongly doubt their independence.

14. Kayak

Kayak Partisan

Did you expect otherwise?

15. IglooDude

True enough. I guess it was the illogically optimistic side of me (that is usually gagged, hogtied, and locked in the basement) that thought that a presidential administration that has been so anti-libertarian would nominate libertarian-leaning SCOTUS justices. :cry:

16. IglooDude

Yeah, I did. SCOTUS already said that they found no "right to die" in the US constitution. But in turn, is federal preemption of state right-to-die statutes permitted by the US constitution? Strict-constructionist types would say no - the interstate commerce clause is already interpreted far too broadly. I'd thought that Scalia, Thomas, and most of all Roberts were strict constructionists.

17. Little Raven

Scalia is. Roberts claims to be.

But that's not really what this case hinges on. (now that I've had time to read the decision)

Basically, it all boils down to what the phrase 'legitimate medical purpose' means. The majority argued that the Oregon law is not 'inconsistent with the public interest,' and therefore the Attorney General has no right to stop the procedure under the Controlled Substances Act.

The argument of Scalia and company was nicely summed up in their opening statement.
    I suspect that in this case, the minority justices were more influenced by their religious persuasions than their constitutional philosophies.

edit: The decision can be found here, in case anyone else in interested.

18. El_Machinae

Who puts the needles into death row inmates? Doctors, I'd assume.

Or am I way off base here, comparing apples to oranges.

"Come to Oregon, the land of Eternal Sleep"

19. IglooDude

Do you have a link to the decision? I probably should have read it before starting to cry or make assumptions about SCOTUS, too.

Edit: nevermind, you ninja'ed me.

20. Little Raven

I'm not sure 'execution' falls into the definition provided by statute.
    Nice try, though. ;)