1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Surprising Beliefs of Many Americans Concerning the Press

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Amenhotep7, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

No, this isn't a claim to how the conservative/liberal media suX0rz like t3h n00b3hzzzzz. :p Read on!

:shakehead Wow. I'm a little concerned. The future leaders of America basically saying Freedom of the Press ought be rescinded. Your thoughts?

2. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

A far cry from the 'liberty printing presses' from which the US spread the word of freedom against British 'tyranny.'

The Union has came far...

:)

3. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

I think the media should be restricted when it comes to publishing stories of people's private lives without their permission.

I don't think there should be any need for the government to approve media beforehand, but rather alter the law so that people can take legal action against the media if they publish things they have no right to.

4. blindside

blindside formerly god

I believe there are already laws that allow people to sue against libel but I'm not sure how often someone wins.

I'm not really surprised by the numbers but I wonder how much poorer they probably were 10-20 years ago.

5. Yom

Yom Re-ese Mekwanint

This isn't that surprising. Most young people are verifiable imbeciles. I'm willing to bet that 99% of those who want to limit the press's freedom are Bush-supporters.

6. ummmm........

ummmm........ Extremely normal.

The truth is always a defense against libel, no matter how private or personal the information. Also, I think you have to prove special damages to win a judgment on libel, unless the statements are really, really bad, like accusing someone of committing a specific crime or something. That's why newspapers and the like are obsessed with calling folks "alleged" or "accused" even when it's obvious the person did it. You know, like OJ. Just kidding.

The big problem with suing on slander and libel is that it just draws more attention to the original false statement. Lots of examples of this.

There's another thread on this same article a little further down the first page of threads, and in that one, Bozo Erectus points out (correctly, I think) that these results are probably just because high school students by and large just not have opinions yet, and presumably that will change at some point.

7. Riesstiu IV

Riesstiu IV Deity

Where the heck did they take this survey? A Texas police academy?! Sometimes I feel like this country is heading in a backwards spiral...

8. zeon252

zeon252 Keydet

The media should not be restricted, though I hate the way they can maliciously destroy peoples lives sometimes the media have a right to unrestricted journalism. Besides, our government doesnt need more power than it already has.

Oh yeah, 500th post!!!
    [party] :thanx: :band: :beer: :bounce: :dance: :dance: :dance: :sniper: :spear:

9. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

With a smooth way of asking questions, it is always possible to get results like these.....

10. WillJ

WillJ Coolness Connoisseur

And I bet if they asked, "Should the First Amendment be revoked or changed?" 83% would say, "no."

People my age tend to be morons.

11. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

AS long as the information is true, no censorship should be involved. What I disapprove of is false stories or sensationalised stories.

12. Rhymes

Rhymes Drive 4 25 is back

I wasn't much of a fan of the "terror government" theory, but the more I learn the more I see that people in America seem to want their government to protect them from any/everything. Its starting to make sense....

13. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

I don't blame them for thinking that, I for example believe government leaks should be put a stop too. (by getting rid of the articles that result from them)

14. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Well, I'm really far to be a commie but I think in general the biggest flaw in the US conception of freedom of speech is that it's done in such a way that the only way to exerce it is to have money to spend. Everyone has the right to diffuse his opinion as long as he has money to do so. So then there's no surprise that in the end the opinions which are lasting are only those of the rich.

Anyway, that part played by the money is getting truely detrimental in only two sectors : Politics and Media.

The winner of a political campaign in the US will be the one with the most visible and well-made TV commercials. Of course everyone can run for the presidential elections, but no one has enough money to be heard as much as the two main parties. And even worse, those two main parties are reduced to accept bribes from any kind of lobbies in order to stay in the race.

This being said, I just loved the way presidential debates had been held between Kerry and Bush. However, it's obvious that, despite their audience, those debates had been less significant in the final result than had been political commercials.

About the media, I think it's fine that newspapers and TV channels are looking for profits. However, an important rule should be respected : the one saying that facts are more important than what the audience wants to hear.

When Fox News claims something like 27 times that WMD's had been found in Iraq only because they know that it is what their viewer wants to hear, we can't say this is information anymore. Today, with the multiplication of news channels and the increased competition it represents, too many channels are tempted to say what the viewer wants to hear instead of saying the truth.

Those two things are the main dangers against free speech currently in the US. To solve both problems, a simple regulation is needed. Unfortunately, it's not in the interests of those in power to regulate those things. But believe me when I tell you that those two flaws could drive the whole country to hell.

15. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

Libel lawsuits against the media are almost impossable to win. Pretty much any civil lawyer would counsel you against trying. To win one you have to prove A) That the reporter intended to to harm to the plaintiff and B) That the reporter knew the information was false and published it anyway.

Short of a recorded confession, it's nearly impossable to prove things like that.

16. A'AbarachAmadan

A'AbarachAmadan Deity

I used to get nervous when I read stuff like this. Now I just shake my head. Ask these same people if First Amendment rights should be curtailed and I bet they say no. Many, and the above indicates most, people are illogical.

17. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

Please. Polls like these are always trying to have unbelievable results, so they ask questions in a way that makes the question more credible. There is usually an introduction probably slanted against free press in this situation.

18. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

Oh, and in reference to the posts on the stupidity of the average person, I'm sure that if there was a poll asking whether the average person was stupider than them, 90% would say "yes."

19. jst666

jst666 Warlord

Good point.

Question: According to freedom of speech, the press is theoretically allowed to publish everything about your personal life, including your sex and toilet habits! Does the press have too much freedom, or should it be limited somehow?