1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Surrender Summit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zkribbler, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

No one yet has started a thread on this? Trump's performance was one of the weakest by any US President, possibly even worse than JFK's fiasco with Khrushchev. :thumbsdown:

Trump & Putin met for hours behind close doors with no observers...to talk about what? No one knows.

At the press conference which followed, Putin was asked flat-out if he had compromising materials on Trump. He could have answered, "Nyet," but instead he referenced a single conference attended by 500 businessmen and claimed Russia doesn't have enough security agents to watch them all. A) This is not true and B) this ignores all the other times Trump was in Russia.

Trump blamed both sides for the bad relations between the two countries, but singled out America's stupidity. Trump refused to consider that Russia interfered in the US elections because "it had no reason to." Trump did not demand the extradition of the 16 GRU agents just indicted for interfering in our election. Trump made no mention of the nerve agent attacks in the UK, no mention of Russian planes buzzing US plane and ships, no mention of the Russian invasions of Crimea and Eastern Ukraine, no mention of the shooting down of a civilian airline, no mention of the war crimes carried by Syrian and Russian troops against civilians, etc. etc. etc.

Trump accomplished nothing [except for maybe secret agreements with Putin].

What do you people think?

REDY, shadowplay and Owen Glyndwr like this.
  2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Your "president" is a liar. Period.

And things have gotten to the point where Russian propaganda is becoming a problem on the CBC.ca comment boards, as if we didn't have enough annoyances with the American propaganda. I'm dreading next spring, in the months leading up to the writ being dropped (and please let the official campaign not be more than 35 days, 40 at most!).

3. Ryika

Ryika likes cookies and milk.

If he had said 'Nyet.', would you have believed him?

4. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Thing is that Trump and his team does something horribly bad every single week, if not every single day. No one can keep up, so we've all just become desensitised.

Which is probably part of the plan.

This weekend I actually moved from "I'm not saying that Trump is a Russian agent, but everything he does are things a Russian agent would do", to "Trump is a Russian agent, and so is many of the people around him. The Executive branch of the United States is currently being controlled by the Kremlin!".

I strongly recommend this -- very long -- article: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/amp/2018/07/trump-putin-russia-collusion.html

It put enough of the pieces together for me to conclude that all the smoke I'm seeing is originating from an actual, real fire.

As such, I think we just saw Trump meeting his handler and possibly getting new instructions.

Cutlass likes this.
  5. red_elk

red_elk Chieftain

What would he accomplish if he mentioned all that?
    Well, except Russia rolling out a similarly long list of accusations against US.

Everybody has it. Trump releases compromising material on himself every day.

6. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Does this summit not show how big the gap is between the reality of leaders of governments when talking with each other and the reality the news media mostly show, also based on what the same leaders tell to these media ?

Is this not also from news media who surrendered ?

Giving room for leaders who are above the law above morals, and above the sanity of the common sense that you refrain from behaviour that makes you vulnerable for blackmail.

7. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian A mad God's dying dream

No one would have believed him, but his response was amusing, and typical for Putin.
    "We do not have the resources to collect kompromat on everyone".
    He was trolling Trump and any other semi-prominent foreigner who spent time in Russia and might have done something they don't want to be public.

8. Hehehe

Hehehe Chieftain

I don't think Trump is a Russian agent, it could be that he's simply a moron who got played by Putin. I've never been pro-Trump, and neither have I ever been hysterically anti-Trump. But even I think that Putin clearly got the upper hand over "master-negotiator" Trump on this one. Then again he's not my president so maybe it's none of my business

9. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

They keep talking about collusion, yet trump is too stupid to know what collusion is.

10. red_elk

red_elk Chieftain

The results of a summit at a glance:
    - They shook hands, discussed something behind the closed doors.
    - Said usual BS about world peace at the press-conference.
    - Putin gave Trump a ball.

I see nothing special in this meeting, that's how all meetings of top-level politicians occur.

The Leader of The Free World did it well.

zxcvbob likes this.
  11. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Explain

I think it's very rich for the US to accuse Russia of war crimes and illegal invasions.

Berzerker likes this.
  12. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

The most telling part to me was when Trump said that Putin gave a denial where he was "very strong, very powerful." What kind of leader says that about another world leader? It's just freaking weird, more than anything. Disturbing, too.

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

This kind of talk was pretty standard from one king to another. Of course, for the most part they had a lot more style than Trump does.

14. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

What did you expect? Him to say "yeah, I might've won the election because my boy Vladimir over here meddled a bit"?

BirraImperial likes this.
  15. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Trump took Putin's money so now he has to bend over. Since it got him the presidency, Trump's ego loves it. The only remaining question is whether or not Putin uses lube.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  16. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

17. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Kennedy & Khrushchev met in 1961 and the result of that meeting was seen as a failure from the US perspective. Khrushchev came away with the impression that Kennedy was weak and could be pushed around. This impression set the tone for later events like the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Zkrib was comparing Kennedy & Khrushchev to Trump & Putin only not only is the US President perceived to be weak, he also seems to willingly aide the Russian agenda. Thus the "possibly even worse than JFK's fiasco with Khrushchev.".

18. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Chieftain

I have not heard a single serious person defend the President.

19. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

Trump: Russia had no reason to help me win

Reporter to Putin: Did you want Trump to win

Putin: yes

I thought the Cuban missile crisis was caused by us putting nukes in Turkey and the crisis was ended when we agreed to remove them

AdrienIer likes this.
  20. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Yes that is one of the direct causes. But the subtext throughout the conflict was how far America would go to defend itself. Kennedy was a new President who left an unfavorable impression in a previous meeting. Khrushchev was testing how far he could push him.