Surrounded city won't flip to me

Torvoni

Chieftain
In a recent game I lost a city to an enemy.

After a while I was able to put intense cultural pressure on the city.

It had been my city for a long time. The entire area was culturally mine. Every few turns it said the city had a cultural revolt back to me ... then it counted down for a few turns ... then it DIDN'T flip back to me.

Every tile around the city was culturally mine. Only the city square itself was owned by the other civ.

This happened several times.

What allowed the enemy to keep that city?

Any ideas?

Maybe you have culture flips off...

Conquered cities can't flip back.
You can only allow it in a checkbox before the game.

Thanks for the info.

I will check into that.

Normally I play on a much lower difficulty level ... so I'm not really familiar with what happens when I'm the one who lost a city.

I know that I have occasionally lost cities because of cultural flips and (much more frequently) gained cities because of cultural flips.

This was just strange ...

I'm going to go look at those settings.

From gaming perspective because it makes conquests harder, they flip almost immediately back. Particularly near the civ centre. It can be quite boring to reconquer cities over & over. You have very few turns to conquer the next city.

From historical you can imagine that the conquering army moves forward to next city so in that moment the front is between the conquered and the current target.

But you can find your own historical view why it is nonsense. (partysans, etc.) So you check the box. Fun is the purpose of CIV.

I dont think you are right about conquered cities not being able to flip. My biggest pet peeve is when after a conquer a few cities and turn a civ into a vassel, the cities have revolts. I cannot recall a specific time when a city flipped, but I do remember throwing GAs at cities trying to quell rebellions.

I dont think you are right about conquered cities not being able to flip. My biggest pet peeve is when after a conquer a few cities and turn a civ into a vassel, the cities have revolts. I cannot recall a specific time when a city flipped, but I do remember throwing GAs at cities trying to quell rebellions.
Important to note also that whilst (using default rules) a captured city cannot flip back to the original owner it certainly can flip to another Civ, this makes taking cities along a border with a 3rd Civ an interesting task. I always take along more defenders to leave in these cities to counter the flip possibility.

Important to note also that whilst (using default rules) a captured city cannot flip back to the original owner it certainly can flip to another Civ, this makes taking cities along a border with a 3rd Civ an interesting task. I always take along more defenders to leave in these cities to counter the flip possibility.

Does the chance of a flip decrease in proportion to the number of garrisoned soldiers?

Does the chance of a flip decrease in proportion to the number of garrisoned soldiers?

oh good question. i'd like to know too but wouldn't know how to check the SDK if my RL city depended on it.

From historical you can imagine that the conquering army moves forward to next city so in that moment the front is between the conquered and the current target.

but if A capture a city from B, that doesnt mean a third country C can't spread its influence to the city. ex iran spreads it influence to Iraq and Afghan more than before war

Then you're going about it wrong. Chances are the city is in revolt not because of culture, but because the previous citizens "Long to return to their Homeland", or something along those lines. The only way to counter these types of revolts is to have your citizens total more than 50% of the population. Throwing culture at the problem is not going to help one bit. Be sure to take a look at why the revolt is happening, don't just make assumptions.

Actually, revolts DO happen from culture. You can lose your capital to a bunch of culture cities. Always Peace domination games. You can throw troops into cities, though, and with enough they will never flip. I think.

Actually, revolts DO happen from culture. You can lose your capital to a bunch of culture cities. Always Peace domination games. You can throw troops into cities, though, and with enough they will never flip. I think.

Of course they happen from culture, but they can happen for other reasons as well. You have to make sure you're responding in the correct manner for the situation. Throwing GAs at a city isn't going to help much if the people are mainly upset at being seperated from their homeland.

Top Bottom