1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Survey: Starlife's Next NES

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Starlife, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I'm familiar with the Book of the New Sun (Urth) but I prefer options II, III and V, in no particular order.

2. SouthernKing

SouthernKing Secret Keeper

Any are fine, but I'd be especially interested in I, IV, and V, in no particular order.

3. Starlife

Starlife de la terre à la lune

Thanks for the comments!

Based on feedback here and in #NES, here is my next proposal (please feel free to discuss!):

-

-> Each player is a noble family within a larger empire, which has reached its zenith. This empire is ruled, obviously, by an emperor/autarch -- but the nobles have a considerable degree of regional power, and in many ways, this emperor is purely symbolic.

-> There is also a Warlord, who presides over the empire's armies. Currently, the land is in immersed in what is called the "Era of the Emperor", but that is slowly transitioning to the "Era of the Warlord", for reasons I will describe below.

-> The great "horde" of the north/east/west/whatever is resting at the empire's borders.

-> This horde has effectively blocked off access to one of the empire's distant holy sites, a place once used for pilgrimages. So now, the empire and its religious institutions have offered charters for warrior-families to enter into the netherlands and destroy the empire's enemies, and conquer new lands and subjugate new peoples -- in a place that was hitherto left unconquered because of its sacred nature (probably separated from the empire by a narrow isthmus or something).

-> Players would thus have a lot of intrigue in the empire itself, vying for more power and favor with not only the emperor, but also the warlord, and a group of eunuchs (some obviously corrupt).

-> Players would also have the goal of conquering new lands, a land rather foreign to the empire, one not only hosting the enemies of the empire, but also teeming with fantastic beasts.

-----

I was thinking that this empire could resemble Tang Dynasty China, in that it is not completely backwater dark ages, but rather there are important scientific discoveries being made, and a sort of regional renaissance in progress. There would be a variety of ethnic groups, united under this empire. I am open to suggestions, though -- if the overwhelming majority would prefer a Persian-esque setting, or European middle ages, that is fine, too. But remember: I'm not saying this is Chinese, but rather it can resemble Tang Dynasty China. Many ethnic groups would be within this structure, and so noble families will come from a variety of ethnic groups (though of course, there will perhaps be a single dominant one).

Then, the "horde" or whatever could essentially be notMongols, but fanatic religious zealots, as well. Don't want to make things too black-and-white "This is notChina, and this is notMongols." No. I would create descriptions for everything -- it'd be unique.

The empire will have stretched far and wide already, and players would also control governorships or provincial lands or something (estates). Perhaps the empire has been at the cusp of invading the "foreign land" for some time, but was prohibited due to some geographic barrier? Or fear? Or they revered the foreign land as too sacred to conquer (birthplace of humanity / their religion)?

Discuss.

4. Brougal

Brougal Chieftain

3 4 5, for what it's worth from a newbie who'd wish to try a NES

5. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Starlife, This reminds me of Immacunes IIB so much. And that's a VERY good thing.

6. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

7. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Let whoever wants to be emperor be him. The real fun comes from murdering that player and being the new emperor.

8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Chieftain

V. is always intriguing, but in my experience those type of games tend to not last long/develop meaningful plots.

If you can pull it off, it'd be amazing.

9. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Mercenary

^^This^^

That is of course you go with choice 5.

10. Northen Wolf

Northen Wolf Young Hunter

In following order:

IV. Fictional Colonization (historical fiction / fantasy)
    III. The Underdark / fantasy
    V. Lords and other thingies

11. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

III is by far my favourite, but I also like the ideas of I and V.

12. Eltain

Eltain Chieftain

V and III.

13. Starlife

Thanks for the interest in III, everyone. Perhaps another day? And thanks for the feedback in general.

I've decided to, for the most part, do Option V.

14. erez87

erez87 Persona non grata

V should have a large empire, that is ruled by a king with a lot of official power, but who actually rules through dukes. Many dukes, some who rule lands, some who are just generals, and some who are just whispers in his ears, gaining money and power by talking smooth...

That king should not be easy to topple, for toppling him by any one duke, would get the others angry "Hey I want to be King!".

There should be a major outside threat at start, but one should come after a turn or two to get the king actively looking who is good and who is naughty, to gather an army and fight the threat (whatever that may be).

15. Starlife

Apart from helping me choose the option, this NES will not be a democracy.

Much like the "empire" in question.

16. erez87

erez87 Persona non grata

lol :p just giving feedback.

17. Starlife

;) Though, I would like feedback on the map I posted in the map thread. I was thinking that very well could be the map of the kingdom (it does not show the nearby, larger continent).

18. Luckymoose

So long as it is sufficiently juicy enough that it isn't some silly war game all the time. Families should be actively working against one another, making alliances to strengthen their own areas of the empire and if the needs arises rebelling to lower crown authority. :p Limiting the number of dukes/lords to under ten would make the NES much better, even if other players have to take lesser positions.

19. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

Agree with this entirely. Limiting players to certain positions is the way to go. It prevents bloating and the standard way many of these games go:

Cool new NES opens->It becomes the hot new game and everybody joins, taking a really cool and important character/position/state/thing->as the NES lags a little bit, players drop off or don't send orders->Mod gets lost on how to do an update when half of the most important players didn't send orders+it seems like everyone lost interest anyways->NES dies.

Also, just because something is a lesser position doesn't mean it's less fun.

20. Luckymoose

Emperor's captain of the guard... ;)