Sury of Persia, Emp-Norm-Fract

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bleys, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Figured I would re-start my Unrestricted Leader games once I made the adjustment to Normal speed. I actually played half of a pretty cool one, Churchill of Babylon (in honor of troy, heh, PRO Bowmen with CHA promos) but it turned out to be a crappy map, so I made this one.

As before, I use Random, Random, Unrestricted leaders, and re-start until I get a pairing that seems interesting. I dont re-generate maps, I just play Fractal and leave it when I get a cool sounding combo, like Sury of Persia. I figured why not give Sury a chance to have a real UU, heh.

This one is fairly easy, but its pretty enjoyable (for me, anyway, since I am a devoted REXing-Builder style player).

So heres the start, and dont forget, this one is Normal speed. I actually prefer Epic speed for the first half of the game, and Normal for the 2nd half (say, 1300 AD), but this is the best I can do for now. Write a report if you wish, or just play it and never post a word, I do that with many online games. I am going to do my report through 1000 AD as soon as I post this.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

2. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Here is my report through 1000 ADish:

Spoiler :
    I settled in place, which popped a Scout from the hut. Cool, since moving to Normal speed, I find exploration to be much more important. A 2nd Scout would be perfect, maybe get me a few more huts as well. I teched AH, Mining, BW, got the Wheel from a hut,

My 2 scouts quickly swept North and South, and I immediately noticed how much land I had, and seemingly only a single neighbor. Right away, I decided a few courses of action:

-1. No rush. Peter is just too far, and I have MORE than enough land to win the game, once I get a couple blocking cities up in the North.

-2. Build the Great Wall. One of the biggest problems I have in situations like this where I can carve out a vast chunk of land is Barbs. Its far to much to fogbust, and while I have access to one of the best Anti-Barb units in the game (Immortals can actually fortify on Forested hills and are extremely hard to dislodge), I would rather focus on expansion than military. Eventually, I will want a big pack of Immortals, to go take Barb cities. I am not even going to fogbust, I can use the Barb cities to fund a lot of deficit research, and once I can afford to keep the cities, it will save me the cost of a settler or two. It should also get me a unit promoted enough to open the HE.

-3. Head for the Great Library. The Marble is in a good spot, because I can get it 3rd-ring on a nice blocking city. As long as Peter doesnt drop a city there to take it, I should have the Marble in time for the GL if that is my 2nd or 3rd city.

So, with my plans made, I cranked out a couple quick settlers while building the GW. I hit Writing early so I can get Libraries up ASAP. I also made a city to grab the Horses, but with the GW to handle Barbs and my closest neighbor a good ways off, there was no hurry.

Here are some screenies of my Empire. Still teching Lit, and I have a decent looking set of cities Dotmapped out.

Spoiler :
    Here are the Blocking cities. Marble about to pop.

The Horse city, not even connected to my Empire yet. Cheap workers are being cranked out though.

Here is my Dotmaps, the North and the South

And my Capitol. Not sure if this is going to be my GL city though, not a ton of food for a GP farm.

All in all, I think it should be a very simple, straightforward win. I might start playing these with Random Personalities too, because I think that would add a lot of flavor to the whole concept of Unrestricted Leaders.

3. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

Incense and Silver cities both 1N making room for another (S horse) city (1E or 2E of horse)? Adds a floodplains to the Incense city and a plains cow to the Silver city.

4. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Yeah, the dotmap is tentative, Barb cities will likely make me re-do parts of it. I like razing lots of Barb Cities though, so I get ruins in my BFCs on crappy tiles. Love those Ruins events.

5. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Ah, here is the reason for the Silver City's position, you cant see it in the other screenshot:

Spoiler :

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

1 AD

Spoiler :
    Dial up the REX, and grab some wonders late:

Yes, after 5 cities.

Mids after 6 using stone.

Still using cottages, but mids does hook me up a bit. The two wonders slowed expansion a bit but not terribly. I hate low sea level, so much land. It really cuts the importance of REX.

Also, after all these immortal games (both the wins and losses) emperor feels really weak sauce. Where were the barbs? I settled horses with city #3 and used warriors for 90% of the barbs I killed. I barely saw any.

1380 AD

Spoiler :

Cannon fodder segment.

I sink 0 bulbs en route to lib, mostly because I got some odd stuff like merchants/engineers/etc. Not a big deal under rep, just settled in cottage god capitol with its academy for some beakers per turn. Besides, it's easy to win lib when you expand AND still get the wonders.

Now, I DO sink a bulb into chemistry (very easy with a scientist, I'm really liking the steel route now). Then I just go steel ----> commy.

I'm actually a little further than this but the game crashed on me. I'll pick it up from a recent auto. Peter has cuirassers but not rifling yet as I march on moscow. I did make some token pikes, but most of my forces include muskets and cannon. Lots of forest and the fact that I went PS/vassalage/caste/SP(eventually)/FR meant 5 xp units. Muskets got woodsman II in forests and guerilla II if on hills. Cuirassers are extra crappy vs guerilla II muskets. Full health musket on hill gets a 75% defense bonus, or 15 str...haha! Extra guys get thrown in with CG II which holds the line respectably.

Game feels like a cakewalk after dropping down from immortal. I wonder what deity players that drop down feel like.

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

1806 UN for > 100k
    Spoiler :

Cannon magic FTW

And Germany is mine.

The workshop cities really kick in and the ball starts rolling.

At this point UN is easiest but I need one more civ...go for the easy sucker w/o rifles.

Golden age civic switch for about 1800 BPT for a brief period, just enough to get to mass media, turn slider off, $$$ buy it in IW city after sinking enough hammers, then ending it w/ emphasize food and the culture slider.

Lots of troops.

One of my better scores...for UN anyway.

8. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

Good work Bleys, really enjoyed the last game. Will queue this one up!

9. Crusher1

Crusher1 King

1AD

Spoiler :

10. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

Ah, ok, those two fish change things a lot, obviously :)

11. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Ah, you know, I didnt even notice this. I usually try to remember to go back to "normal" when I am not making a Big and Small GLH map. Low sea level really helps those maps generate enough land to actually work.

I will try to remember to swap back to regular sea level next time. I fully agree it made REXing a joke in this game.

12. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

low sea level also makes domination games take longer (i.e., more tedious), especially on less-watery maps.

13. Crusher1

Crusher1 King

I don't see how it made it a joke. I find that it made it more important. With no land to work REXing isn't important. Sure, you will still have to aggressively "block" to get what few cities you can, but that has nothing to do with a "true" REX - that is simply smart city placement. With so much land around if you had poor skill in REXing you would certainly fall behind someone who was good at it. The poor guy who thinks 4-6 cities by 1AD is REXing or 8 cities by 1000 AD will be way behind.

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

It doesn't make it a joke, it makes it less important. The propensity toward wonders in this game is a good example (their opportunity cost is way lower than it would normally be, since you can build several and still get well over 10 cities w/o war easily). You still have to know how to expand and do it well, but it really takes the need for the R in REX out.

15. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Perhaps "joke" wasnt the right word, but not having to compete for land at all makes for a very simple game in my mind. I choose Fractal partly because I WANT there to be competition for the land.

At this level, I doubt there are many players who would struggle with the concept of "too much land". Not only that, but the position of the Capitol makes it extra easy, since all the cities are in a circle around the cap. If our Cap had been down near the Silver-Fish spot, those Jungle cities would be murder to pay for.

Even diplomacy is a cinch here. Keep Peter semi-happy and no worries. We have plenty of resources for both health and happiness, lots of above-average city sites, and apparently only 3 landmass-mates, none of whom are especially difficult to handle.

16. Yeosol

Yeosol monarch

ok completly off topic, but where is that dot map button? I have the most recent BUG (I think) and can't figure out where it is.

17. Bleys

Bleys Deity

If you're using BUG 3.6, its ALT-X for the tool, and CTL-X toggles the layer on and off.

18. Crusher1

Crusher1 King

1790 Victory

Spoiler :

19. timmy827

timmy827 King

25AD (whoops, forgot to stop playing):

Spoiler :

settler for 1 more city to get rice/dyes soon. Built mids and HG in capital (not my usual route, but with stone on hand and expansion hitting the limits of my budget, seemed like good ideas). Down Aesthetics to Willem and Construction to Zara, plus whatever is behind the Mysticism branch.

Attached Files: