Sury - What would you do ?

Hello.

I just began a game with Suryaman. The start is really incredible provided I does not try to get such one (3 seafood, 3 gem oO), but I hae some barbarian trouble. First a stack of three archer in the forest - I have destroyed them with chariot and extreme luck. ANd then a city protected by 3 archer and a warrior on a hill !

I suppose the only thing to do now is to hook some iron and make some swords, but to have that much barbarian I feel that I must have :):):):)ed up somehow. Could you please give me some piece of advice ?

No screenshot because I can't manage to make them work under linux. Sorry for that.

(I included the 4000 save in addition to current save. If you want a really incredible start, here it is. And that's not only a good capital ...)

Attachments

• Sury.CivBeyondSwordSave
    233.5 KB · Views: 34
  • AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    62.5 KB · Views: 30
Wont load for me. Then again you dont state which version you are using. ;)

Yep, won't load for me either (crashes mid-load). Do you have customized XML or similar? Or an older version than 3.19?

For screenies, at least I can take screenshots in Linux (Ubuntu Hardy) by playing windowed and taking a system screenshot (with printscrn, not shift+printscrn) and either cropping afterwards or using the desktop resolution for the game.

Yep, won't load for me either (crashes mid-load). Do you have customized XML or similar? Or an older version than 3.19?

For screenies, at least I can take screenshots in Linux (Ubuntu Hardy) by playing windowed and taking a system screenshot (with printscrn, not shift+printscrn) and either cropping afterwards or using the desktop resolution for the game.

No,I have bug and Better A in custom asset. I wasn't aware that better AI could break savegame compatibility.

It's a gameplay altering mod... I understand that would be the same as loading a FfH game unmodded :crazyeye:

But I can reload my pre-Better AI savegame without trouble, I believed that it could work backward :crazyeye:

For the screenshot, still no luck. I have attached one, I suppose that it's more because of Suse (the distribution I use) than anything else. I guess it can't be helped :(

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 100
Even running BUG alone would cause your game to be unloadable for unmodified setups.

Regarding the screenshot: Try to go to windowed mode and then hit PrintScreen. You can then paste the image from the clipboard (or whatever the name in Suse, don't remember... :))

Explains why i couldnt load!!

Your screenshot is just a black screen. You need to zoom in closer over your land and enable resources.

Some luck and option cooking in wine, I finally had been able to have screenshot. (basically, the windows 95 setting of wine + some stranger screen resolution had been enough to play on windowed mode)

I have attached the screenshot of the chokepoint and a dotmap (Hannibal is immediatly to the north, Brenus seem to be past the chokepoint). I would need at least twice as many chariot that I have to take that city !

There is a third barbarian city a little after the chokepoint. I never seen that many barbarian cities, and there is a lot of barbarian archer and spearman as well. I fear that swordman began to appear, since I have no city for the copper andthe iron will need some time before being hooked - I just traded iron working with Hannibal.

Do you think I should had had built less cities and more unit to fogbust ? Or built the pitiful city north of the cap ASAP instead of taking chariot ? Or searched for IW myself instead of relying on my neigbhor to do it ?

Attachments

• Dotmap.jpg
    Dotmap.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Bcity.jpg
    Bcity.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 90
What's the rush to conquer that barb city? There seems to be land to settle without. If you really want it just build ~3 more chariots and take it, otherwise wait for Brennus to suicide some units in there. I guess this is on Prince of below if that barb garrison is worth mentioning to you.

You seem to be in dire need of more workers. Hook the Iron, take care of the barbs, settle your land, improve it. Your land-settling pace is okay I guess, but land improvement pace is not.

As for the dotmap... I wouldn't waste a Settler on that southern choke, just take the barb city. It even has fresh water and one more Spice. You kinda kafuffled that Iron city, there's a Fish semi-wasted. Guess you have to settle 4W of that barb city as well.

Try to settle cities so that you can build Lighthouses in cities that work those freshwater lakes. For example NE-NE-N-N-N of the southern choke barb city there's a site that can work 5 3-food lake tiles - pretty nice for a Moai site.

Just to echo Silu.

More workers!!! 1.5-2 per city with that amount of jungle/forest. I chop most forest for hammers.

It would help to know what level you are playing on and what speed. If you have ivory Sury has a great UU Elephant that will walk over most defences before engineering/guilds/muskets. A few catapults/ trebs help to reduce the cities first. :)

It would help to know what level you are playing on and what speed. If you have ivory Sury has a great UU Elephant that will walk over most defences before engineering/guilds/muskets. A few catapults/ trebs help to reduce the cities first. :)

Prince, marathon. I have advanced a little and I should have put the difficulty back to monarch :(

I agree that the ballista elephant could be useful. But, I have every kind of happiness ressource now EXCEPT ivory. Hannibal too will be unhappy without elephant :(

Prince, marathon. I have advanced a little and I should have put the difficulty back to monarch :(

I agree that the ballista elephant could be useful. But, I have every kind of happiness ressource now EXCEPT ivory. Hannibal too will be unhappy without elephant :(

Yeah ivory would help. Unless you can trade for it. That is why Sury UU is one of the weakest. That being said phant and catapults are a strong attacking line up.

Offtopic: I really hate having to reboot to windows to play civ, so...

How are your experiences playing civ under wine? do mods, patches etc work?
Did you do anything special to get civ installed?

-- wouter

How are your experiences playing civ under wine? do mods, patches etc work?
Did you do anything special to get civ installed?

-- wouter

It work pretty well. My screenshot problem seem to be linux-related, as I have a lot of trouble with all screenshot, not just civ4. Installing and patching is a little troublesome, but google help a lot. After installing, I have very little problem. The most annoying is that one time the X server totaly crashed, and I have to reboot. But I play a lot and it have happen only one time.

It work pretty well. My screenshot problem seem to be linux-related, as I have a lot of trouble with all screenshot, not just civ4. Installing and patching is a little troublesome, but google help a lot. After installing, I have very little problem. The most annoying is that one time the X server totaly crashed, and I have to reboot. But I play a lot and it have happen only one time.

I'm running Civ4 on Ubuntu using Wine without any issues, but I know that video cards drivers can be a problem. The Nvidia drivers are good, other less so.

Top Bottom