1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SV Tech Path: Satellites vs Robotics

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by Stalker0, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

If your pushing a competitive SV (aka your not just running away with the game), which do you think is the superior tech path?

Traditionally I've been going to Robotics...hubble is amazing, its gives me the GDR for defense, and SS factories hugely bump my science. Also having alternate energy lets me get my power plants online for all of those bonuses.

On the other hand, getting Apollo first does still get me 1 GS (and if I'm not culture dominating I can do it much quicker than waiting for policy prereq for hubble). Also Sydney Opera gives me the final shot in the arm culture wise, pretty much ensuring I can meet the prereqs for the late game wonder, as well as securing some key ideology tenents to show forward my late game plan.

Ultimately I think Satellites is the superior path if your under military stress. You get all of your key naval tech and military bases for defense. Robotics seems the stronger infrastructure path if you can afford to skip the military.

Would you agree with that assessment, or do you still pick one or the other the majority of the time regardless?

2. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I've always gone for satelites, never the other path. I don't know if it is stronger though, it's hard to compare paths this late in the game.

3. tothePAIN

tothePAIN Prince

Robotics is the greedier play - if you can manage it, your infrastructure and science should win you the game. The challenge is whether you have enough culture for Hubble and can afford to beeline to Hubble without worrying about military. It's not an absolute - your assessment is correct.

4. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I was considering going for Robotics and Hubble in a current game, but my culture wasn't high enough. 27 policies is a lot, even with a world's fair great writer push I was 5 policies short when I made the decision.

Apollo has no culture requirement. I also notice that it can't be invested though (Nebuchadnezzar shakes his fist)