Swansea City Football Club

Stapel

FIAT 850 coupé
AFAIK, Swansea is in Wales.

Yet, they compete in the FA cup. AFAIK the FA is English.

Can anyone explain please?

Cardiff Swansea and Wrexham all play in the english leagues because when they started there wasnt a wlesh league

Cardiff won it. :yeah:

There are actually more than just those three teams (Cardiff, Wrexham, Swansea) in the English league structure, but they are the only ones in the top four divisions at the moment.

There are actually other instances of teams playing in leagues/cups outside their own country in Europe.

And there is an English club playing in the Scottish League.
;)

No - the club is IN Engalnd but plays in the scottish league - Berwick Rangers.

yup - its 100 yards over the border in England.

Well, goodness me. No-one has ever before implied that I don't make my sarcastic tone obvious enough....

Back on subject, I think Gretna (in Scotland) also play in the FA Cup. As far as I recall they haven't yet won it, but it's surely just a matter of time....

Are you sure as I believe they are actually in the Scottish main leagues so I would have thought that they would play in the Scottish cup...

Originally posted by Dell19
Are you sure as I believe they are actually in the Scottish main leagues so I would have thought that they would play in the Scottish cup...

After a quick google, it appears that my info is out of date...

"Until recently, Gretna was the only Scottish club playing in the English leagues, FA Cup and FA Trophy. Queen of the South helped establish the club in 1946 to play in the Dumfriesshire Junior League.

The decision to head south was made only a year after the club was formed in 1947 to cut travelling and cost, playing in the Carlisle and District League. Incentives offered to ambitious teams through the pyramid system offered them the lure of climbing up the ladder.

Perhaps their most memorable moment was in 1993 when they faced Bolton Wanderers in the FA Cup, but they were narrowly beaten 2-0. "

( from http://www.gretna-area.co.uk/pages/view.asp?Level=2&LevelID=155).

So if you allow for the fact that I'm old and haven't had time to follow anything properly since I had kids, my assertion regarding Gretna in the FA Cup is just about defensible. :crazyeye:

Which one?
There is a club from Andorra but never heard about club from netherlands....

That post is from 8 years ago...

He probably meant (jokingly) Barcelona at the time.

Quite a few welsh clubs have played in English Leagues, I think Gretna is the only scottish club to play in english leagues I think at their height they reached the 6th tier of English Football (which is regional, though most of the existence was lower than that playing in the Carlisle District League), once they were accepted into the Scottish Leaugue system they fairly rapidly reached the top tier until they went out of business.

Of course the English club Berwick play in Scotland,

EDIT: Didnt realise how old this is, in its existence Swansea have got to the Premier League and Gretna have gone out of business.

Wellington Phoenix who play in the Australian A-League would surely have to be the only instance of a club playing in a different confederation to their own country.

AS Monaco (CL finalists representing a foreign country and multiple champions of said country).

Clubs from Liechtenstein (maybe there's only one) also play in Switzerland iirc.

Top Bottom