Swearing on the Bible

Should senators have to swear on the Bible?

• Christian, and I say yes for the Bible

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Christian, and I say swear on whatever book you want

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Christian, and I don't care/am inbetween

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Non-Christian, and I say yes for the Bible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-Christian, and I say swear on whatever book you want

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Non-Christian, and I don't care/am inbetween

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters

GoldEagle

Deity of All Drummers
I'm sure most of you are aware of the recent events with the Minnesotan Senator who wanted to swear on the Quran, and not the Bible. What are your thoughts?

I personally believe he should be able to swear on anything he likes. I'm Agnostic, and I don't see why it would be so horrible if he actually got to practice the 1st Amendment :mischief:

My parents, on the other hand, are being oh-so-ignorant. They say that it is eventual death to Christianity if he does so, and that everyone must swear on the Bible no matter what. I have debated (and won) with each of them for about 10 minutes apiece about it, and they just end it by being silent.

Even though this nation is built upon Freedom of Religion, it seems as if a good majority of Christians only want "freedom" for their religion. Funny how stuff like that works out, eh?

-GE

I think the guy should be able to swear on the Koran instead of the bible if he so wishes. However, I do not think he is being wise in doing so and thus breaking a tradition unbroken since our countries beginning.

Often having the "right" to do a thing, is not necessarily the right thing to do.

If anything, perhaps we should roll up a copy of the Constitution into a scroll and make them all swear upon that document.

Good majority? I think most of my Christian friends would agree with me that the guy can swear on whatever he sees is most trustworthy.

Personally, I wouldn't swear on anything at all, especially the Bible. What if I can't keep my promise?

I agree with MobBoss, using the Constitution seems more appropriate for politics, especially given the (in)famous Treaty of Tripoli.

Sure, I don't have any problem with him swearing on the Koran. I mean, the whole idea is to not piss God off by breaking an oath, so it'd just make it more effective. I'd imagine there are probably, 10 people who actually have a problem with it?

I do not like the idea of swearing on the Bible, in the first place. I don't want politics anywhere near the Bible. ;)

On the other hand, none of it is of great importance.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the recent events with the Minnesotan Senator who wanted to swear on the Quran, and not the Bible. What are your thoughts?

I personally believe he should be able to swear on anything he likes. I'm Agnostic, and I don't see why it would be so horrible if he actually got to practice the 1st Amendment :mischief:

My parents, on the other hand, are being oh-so-ignorant. They say that it is eventual death to Christianity if he does so, and that everyone must swear on the Bible no matter what. I have debated (and won) with each of them for about 10 minutes apiece about it, and they just end it by being silent.

Even though this nation is built upon Freedom of Religion, it seems as if a good majority of Christians only want "freedom" for their religion. Funny how stuff like that works out, eh?

-GE
If the law requires swearing on the Bible, then he should swear on the Bible. After that, he can swear on an additional book if he wants to. In other words, he can swear on both books.

EDIT: By the way, your signature makes no sense. It means that competent people will use violence first and incompetent people will use it last. If it means competent people never use violence, then that's dumb, since violence is sometimes brought to you no matter what you do, and if you don't defend yourself, then man, you're dumb.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."-Isaac Asimov

Where is the poll option for polititions for a secular gov. shouldn't be swearing on any religious text?

If the law requires swearing on the Bible, then he should swear on the Bible. After that, he can swear on an additional book if he wants to. In other words, he can swear on both books.

It's not law, just longstanding tradition. There's no legal requirement to swear on the bible.

I think the guy should be able to swear on the Koran instead of the bible if he so wishes. However, I do not think he is being wise in doing so and thus breaking a tradition unbroken since our countries beginning.
At least 3 Presidents have not sworn on the Bible. Several Jewish Congress persons have sworn on a book other than the Bible. It is not an unbroken tradition.

If anything, perhaps we should roll up a copy of the Constitution into a scroll and make them all swear upon that document.

I like this idea.

Does it really matter what book they swear on?

I doubt this has ever stopped a politician from being corrupt.

I agree with puglover. Swearing on the Bible iappears unsavory and contradictory to what Jesus says. As for Congress, I've heard no one swears on the Bible except for optional individual ceremonies for pictures. The real swearing in is merely a line of congressmen repeating their oath of office with no books.

First, Ellison is a Congressman. Minnesota isn't insane enough yet to vote this clown in for one of our Senate offices.

Second, the incoming members of Congress aren't sworn in on any book, they raise their right hand and they're sworn in en masse.

Third, you can swear on a book, but it's only for a photo opportunity with the leader of the party. In other words, it's a pointless exercise.

Fourth and finally, Ellison appears to be going out of his way to announce that he's swearing on the Koran, almost intentionally trying to create a controversy. If this is a sign of things to come from Mr. Ellison, I still won't feel any sympathy for the 5th district.

I am completely against the use of the Christian Bible by all. Personally, I would prefer to see the constitution used, but seeing as that this is a very religious country, then at least give people the option of swearing on the scripture of their choice.

At least 3 Presidents have not sworn on the Bible. Several Jewish Congress persons have sworn on a book other than the Bible. It is not an unbroken tradition.

Which presidents? Which congressmen? Links? Proof?

The only president I can recall that didnt was Teddy Roosevelt and that was simply a matter of expediting his oath, not be design.

I would like to swear on the bible. I could do what I want after that.

You certainly could but bearing false witness is a mortal sin and secularly immoral, and if you believe in God or even if your just plain wrong, then your placing your mortal soul in danger. If God doesn't exist at the very least your honour is at stake, if you swear on your word to do something, or to uphold a value whether on the Koran or otherwise you are swearing before God or at the least on your honour, then at least in theory you should do your utmost to uphold it. Cicumstances may forbid it, but they should be circumstances that are morally correct. Mind you we are talking about politics, is there anything close to morallity there generally.:)

Where is the poll option for polititions for a secular gov. shouldn't be swearing on any religious text?

Truman probably isn't your favorite President, is he? ;)

http://www.life.com/Life/heroes/newsletters/nltruman.html said:
Less than two-and-a-half hours after FDR died on April 12, Harry S. Truman, pale and nervous, removed his left hand from the Bible and, with his right, shook that of Chief Justice Harlan F. Stone. "Mr. President," said the nation's highest magistrate. Truman stared straight ahead through his thick round glasses, a sad smile on his face. He leaned forward and fervently kissed the Bible.

EDIT:
I know that T.R. didn't swear on a Bible, but I don't recall the others.
For a incomplete list...
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/pihtml/pibible.html

Top Bottom