1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweden Considers Implementing 'Sexist' Label on Video Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Loppan Torkel, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/25182/article/sweden-considers-implementing-sexist-label-on-video-games/

Once again Sweden is a beacon for others to strive toward :jesus:

I'm not sure if I care. Maybe it will be a good indication of where the fun is.

2. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

I would like to see the criteria set forward by the Dataspelsbranchen which merits a "does not promote gender equality" tag.

3. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

Will the Genderbread Person get involved too?

4. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Paradox Interactive should make absolute cognatic succession default.

5. Darkflight

Darkflight Prince

Why only video games and not movies, TV programs etc?

6. Little Faith

Little Faith Warlord

Because videogamers are especially and exceptionally evil. Haven't you read the mainstream press?

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Avoiding sexism is a worthy goal.

But as for gender stereotypes, they are heavily used in all forms of media. So let's see.. A game where you'are a muscular Conan the barbarian type character, slashing your way through dungeous and killing monsters? It would need a label. A game which has women in revealing and/or sexually suggestive clothing - would need a label. Any sort of violence done by a man - label. Any sort of sexual anything done by a female character - label. Food being made by a woman? label. A man driving a car? label. The sims would need a label because men and women are given different options in the game - based on gender stereotypes as well.

So that part seems sort of silly. My guess is that they're going to be very selective about which gender stereotypes they deem "worthy enough" to get a label. In which case they're doing the exact thing they're trying to avoid - stereotyping by gender, and I have no choice but to mock them from a distance.

But having said all that I am curious to see how this unfolds and what sort of criteria they use. Maybe this article is just worded stupidly and they are actually going to only go after actual injustice and stuff.

8. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Oh you can edit this

Computer games are produced in Sweden?

9. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Not any more.

10. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Pretty strange project for a country dominated by extremist Muslim immigrants.

11. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Not yet. But the feminist sissies resistance is futile. Allahu Akbar!

12. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Presumably the authority of the "Swedish game industry trade organization, Dataspelsbranchen" does not extend to movies, TV programs, etc.

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I can see the intent behind it but I don't think it's going to be very useful. As Warpus says, the labeling can get pretty silly. I mean, if I make a game where gender stereotypes are portrayed satirically, or where a character seems to adhere to gender stereotypes but for plausible reasons (i.e. it's a facade they keep up for whatever reason), would those need labels as well? And, I mean, I guess CKII would need a label because it takes place in a time period that was very not gender equal (even though it's already softened a lot of the reality for modern audiences)?

You can't exactly label something as gender equal or not, at the end of the day. 'tis a wee bit more complicated than that. It's not going to help much I think.

14. Saigon

Saigon Warlord

And yet another example of Sweden transforming into a third world country.

15. Darkflight

Darkflight Prince

My point was more "this is probably a good thing and should extend to more types of media". I do understand that something named "dataspelsbranchen" has to do with computer games considering I basically speak the same language as the swedes.

16. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

I wasn't aware that third world countries give video games "sexist" labels, although, forgive me if I'm wrong.

17. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

What. What are you even talking about?

18. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I'm with warpus on this. Working against sexism and gender stereotyping is a worthy endeavour, but this doesn't look like it is going to accomplish anything.

19. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

Yeah it would be like giving a game a "racist" label. I mean if the government *officially* feels that way they might as well ban it entirely.

20. crabapple

crabapple I am watching

well I will wait and see before I judge it, it can work depending on implementation