Sweden Considers Implementing 'Sexist' Label on Video Games

Sweden is producing alot of games actually, minecraft, paradox, battlefield, ect

This thread is sexist! In response is there any chance the guys in Sweden can label feminists?

Is Paradox really Swedish? Huh. Maybe sexual inactivity pushes guys to make great games? :dunno:

To the men at Paradox, the men of Sweden, I just want you to know that you are not alone. I mean you are, but in the sence that there are guys in other countries who have women that can also understand and feel your pain. Though not personally experience it.

Btw, any chance you guys can use some of that extra time not spent with women to straighten out my login? Still can't download 1.04 patch for Darkest Hour. Thanks. :)

That Swedish candy game that targets women is clearly sexist too.

Well, they should use their discipline bonuses to conquer Norway and Denmark.

Wait, you mean they made up most of them? Who would have thought...

Yeah I can't imagine that's going to particularly helpful. Is there going to be an actual standard? It's not as clear as physical violence and drug use and the like. I'm also not a big fan of the slapping labels on media.

Also:

The project appears to be inspired by the Bechdel test

Then this project is kinda dumb. It's very, very easy for media to pass that test and still be extremely sexist and vice-versa and the criteria for it is surprisingly grey despite the premise on the surface.

Is this even likely to happen?

What. What are you even talking about?

It's sad that Sweden is destroying their own country by going down a self-defeating path. Be it with silly, radical feminist policies (by government or society) like this or through multiculturalism.

A trade industry group putting a label on a media product is not going to "destroy" a country.

Then this project is kinda dumb. It's very, very easy for media to pass that test and still be extremely sexist and vice-versa and the criteria for it is surprisingly grey despite the premise on the surface.

As time goes on I've found the Bechdel test less and less useful even useless. It can be useful now and then but some people use it too enthusiastically. I mean, depending on some interpretations of the test, Mulan, whifh is considered by many to be the most "feminist" Disney movies, would not pass under (on others interpretations it might barely pass) . I think even the person who developed the testin the first place never intended on using it as the be-all-end-all that some people use.

Sweden is weird.
But this is a whole new level.

Once again Sweden is a beacon for others to strive toward :jesus:
Sweden is the modern incarnation of the 70s' USSR. Basically when things are relatively quiet and a country can indulge in all sorts of progressivistic madness. Collapse is imminent, of course, but they still have some time to enjoy this drooling craziness.

"Wärning: Crusader Kings II cöntains content that some may consider sexist."

This is about a proposed label. Consumer information. Parental advice. We have a lot of this already in place. For example: “Recommended age”, “Explicit lyrics”, “Nudity inside”. It’s for the benefit of consumers who care about the issue. If you don’t care, just ignore it. I never care for the “explicit lyrics” tag on music – I hardly notice it. Other people do care and I can see the benefit for them. It’s a heads up to consumers before making a purchase.
Gender equality and feminism is a big issue in Sweden. We almost had a feminist initiative political party make the 4% parliament threshold this year’s election. So I think the label suggestion is legit and I support it. Why not?

It’s not a ban – and never will be. From what I know we have the most generous freedom of speech laws in the world. We have far less censorship than Russia, Israel and even Australia and the US. The only countries to be in competition would be the two other Scandinavian. Not many from there making complaints here. They know. Freedom also includes the freedom from being exposed to crap.

This is about a proposed label. Consumer information. Parental advice. We have a lot of this already in place. For example: “Recommended age”, “Explicit lyrics”, “Nudity inside”. It’s for the benefit of consumers who care about the issue. If you don’t care, just ignore it. I never care for the “explicit lyrics” tag on music – I hardly notice it. Other people do care and I can see the benefit for them. It’s a heads up to consumers before making a purchase.
Gender equality and feminism is a big issue in Sweden. We almost had a feminist initiative political party make the 4% parliament threshold this year’s election. So I think the label suggestion is legit and I support it. Why not?

Those things don't have the stigma that would come from a game officially being labeled "sexist" would be(not that sexism shouldn't have a stigma to it) and it's a hell of a lot more subjective than those things. There's no way to interpret whether or not someone dropped an f-bomb or if someone doesn't have clothes on if you define explicit language or define nudity as partial or full. Something having a subjective label slapped on it is a lot different and they would need to have hard guidelines to judge it by.

Like I asked, what is their methodology? I already explained why the test they mentioned is pretty shoddy at best and it's very easy to tweak a sexist work to pass that test and still be incredibly sexist. What good is a label if it's misleading, highly subjective and/or wrong?

Top Bottom