[GS] Sweden Discussion Thread

The more I think about this civ, the odder the UI sounds. The civ ability, leader ability and UB all seem to point towards a similar play style: excelling in the cultural and diplomatic aspects of the game through heavy focus on great artists writers and musicians. These great people will provide both tourism and favor, allowing Sweden to pursue either a cultural victory with strong diplomatic support or a diplomatic victory with strong cultural support. The scientist and engineer bonuses probably aren't quite enough to make Sweden a strong science contender (though they certainly could try playing this way), but could be helpful for building wonders and unlocking key techs like flight.

The open air museum is aimed at one of the same victory conditions, but in terms of actual playstyle really doesn't have anything in common with the other bonuses, being focused on expansion to large number of cities with diverse terrain. This is actually quite an interesting approach, but I'd much rather see a civ primarily built around this than have it tacked on to a civ that is otherwise built almost completely around great people (and it's especially odd, since the Sweden would have the standard number of uniques without including this one). When I heard the name, "open air museum", I actually thought this might be a tile improvement with the ability to house great works, which would make a much better compliment to the rest of the Swedish civ.

So the Noble Prize top scorer get 1 free Great Scientist and Great Musician, while Civs in the top 25% of scorers earn 1 free Great Engineer and Great Artist. I wonder will the top scorer also receive the free Great Engineer and Great Artist?

4 Great People earned in one turn :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

Well they are outdoors. The expansion is about the terrain and environmentand they want the new civs to play to the Environment which is why it get stronger the more Environment the civ Controls.

Sweden is an indirectly strong science civ. Culture can greatly help science and Sweden is encourage to build universities and factories and likely one of the nobel prize is about science.

I hope the AI can take advantage of Sweden getting extra great scientist points from universities. It'd be cool to see Sweden as an appointment picking up extra Great Scientists, the most important Great Scientists possibly. (making the game more of a challenge)

Well they really designed her after all paintings where she got those huge eyes. I'm not sure if she really had that big eyes or of it was just the style of the time (Among artists). Still her design is really cool, love the clothes and her expression. She is kinda cute in a weird way, perhaps it's the innocent voice?

The choice of "Helan Går" a schnapps drinking song is very...unexpected, still I'm glad they didn't just pick the national anthem again.

The open-air museums is very interesting for me personally, I live close to one and might end up working at one when I'm done with my studies.

All in all, I'm happy with this design.

Did one of the three nobel prizes that Sweden seems able to hand out really have to be the one that Sweden isn't responsible for giving out? :lol:

To be fair, back when the prizes were founded Norway was in a personal union under Sweden. Though I'll make sure to remedy the unfortunate separation once the expansion is released.

Last edited:
I suspect these first looks aren't intended to hint what is next. I'd be a bit surprised if they're even produced in order.

Well it would be unfortunate if they are using Islam as a hint to Phoenicia given the context of the region so I hope this is the case.

With the Noble Prize top scorer earning 1 free Great Scientist and Great Musician Civ in the top 25% earning 1 free Great Engineer and Great Artist, will the top scorer still receive the free Great Engineer and Great Artist? I wonder.

4 Great People earned in one turn :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:
And 200 diplo favor if you are Sweden and win it.

The more I think about this civ, the odder the UI sounds. The civ ability, leader ability and UB all seem to point towards a similar play style: excelling in the cultural and diplomatic aspects of the game through heavy focus on great artists writers and musicians. These great people will provide both tourism and favor, allowing Sweden to pursue either a cultural victory with strong diplomatic support or a diplomatic victory with strong cultural support. The scientist and engineer bonuses probably aren't quite enough to make Sweden a strong science contender (though they certainly could try playing this way), but could be helpful for building wonders and unlocking key techs like flight.

The open air museum is aimed at one of the same victory conditions, but in terms of actual playstyle really doesn't have anything in common with the other bonuses, being focused on expansion to large number of cities with diverse terrain. This is actually quite an interesting approach, but I'd much rather see a civ primarily built around this than have it tacked on to a civ that is otherwise built almost completely around great people (and it's especially odd, since the Sweden would have the standard number of uniques without including this one). When I heard the name, "open air museum", I actually thought this might be a tile improvement with the ability to house great works, which would make a much better compliment to the rest of the Swedish civ.
Wide is as good if not better than tall at generating great people, especially it can focus its great person Point generation which works well for Sweden who get bonuses to specific buildings only. It kind of fit Sweden as its largest cities around not large but its urban population is rather high which basically make Sweden an real Life wide civ will alot of land but small population compared to how much land it have.

To be fair, back when the prizes were founded Norway was in a personal union under Sweden. Though I'll make sure to remedy the unfortunate separation when once the expansion is released.

Yep, Harald handling you the Peace prize while at the same time telling you your coasts are so easy to raid seems odd… :crazyeye:

I really like the design--this will be a very fun civ to play for culture players like myself. Unless Peter's there to steal all the GWAM as usual. :nono: Also interesting that this is the second civ in GS that can influence how other civs play, though I'm much more okay with a civ that opens up a new WC competition than one that literally disables other civs' abilities. As for Kristina, I'm putting her in the same category as CdM: not my choice of leader, but looks like a fun in-game persona.
I find it so funny that this has ended up being one of your favorite reveals since, like you’ve stated before, you weren’t a fan of Kristina as a choice XD

Is not movement of all units set to zero after you end your turn?
Right, so it's an offensive only bonus unless they've made some sort of change.
So:
Plains
Grassland
Desert
Tundra
Snow
Coast
Ocean

Shouldn't be that hard, right? And it's the hex where the city center is?
Also, we don't know yet whether or not hills will count as a separate terrain, since hills are a separate terrain in the game code. So potentially you could have +10 culture from:
Snow
Snow Hills
Tundra
Tundra Hills
Desert
Desert Hills
Grassland
Grassland Hills
Plains
Plains Hills
It all depends on how they set up the requirementset...

I believe we can hear her Agenda Approval at the end of the FL vid. Any Swedes (or Norwegians) willing to translate that? :p

"... vi har fått ett helt nytt konstverk och jag ska vara värd snart för en konstvisning. Era sändebud är(o?) inbjudna."

"... we've gotten a brand new piece of art and I will soon host an exhibition (art display/vernissage). Your envoys are invited."

Rough translation. :) Not sure if it fits agenda approval though?

Last edited:
"... vi har fått ett helt nytt konstverk och jag ska vara värd snart för en konstvisning. Era sändebud är inbjudna."

"... we've gotten a brand new piece of art and I will soon host an exhibition (art display/vernissage). Your envoys are invited."

Rough translation. :) Not sure if it fits agenda approval though?
Yes it seems correct.

Right, so it's an offensive only bonus unless they've made some sort of change.

Also, we don't know yet whether or not hills will count as a separate terrain, since hills are a separate terrain in the game code. So potentially you could have +10 culture from:
Snow
Snow Hills
Tundra
Tundra Hills
Desert
Desert Hills
Grassland
Grassland Hills
Plains
Plains Hills
It all depends on how they set up the requirementset...

it clearly says "each type of terrain (snow, tundra, desert, plains or grassland)" i find it hard to believe that they would make a distinction between flat and hills.

Cold, colder, coldest :)
Jokes aside. Sorry, I really don't understand Open Air Museum reference to "real world". At least it is 100%, not a stereotype, which actually makes me think stereotypes are not so bad in this game :lol:

Southern Sweden has a continental climate, similar to that of Poland, while the north is like Alaska or Siberia. It makes sense from a Swedish perspective at least.

I'm not sure if she really had that big eyes or of it was just the style of the time (Among artists).
I suspect the answer is "yes." Look at other portraits from the time period and painting women with large eyes was fashionable, but Kristina's eyes are portrayed in a particularly distinctive way that to me suggests she probably did have large, expressive eyes. IMO Kristina is a rare case where her actual portraits are more attractive than her in-game portrayal. She looks a little like Anne Hathaway in her main picture on Wikipedia.

I find it so funny that this has ended up being one of your favorite reveals since, like you’ve stated before, you weren’t a fan of Kristina as a choice XD
I'm a culture player almost exclusively, and this is one of the best culture civs in the game now. :p But like I said, Kristina is not who I would have chosen for Sweden--I think Sweden's chief significance as a civ is as a Protestant super power, and Kristina doesn't fit that--but her portrayal is entertaining, much like CdM.

Not sure if it fits agenda approval though?
Could be an agenda approval: Qin thanks you for not building wonders when he completes a wonder and Victoria thanks you for sharing a continent when she settles your continent. It could also be what I call an "agenda cue": the line that leaders give you shortly after you meet telling you their historical agenda.

it clearly says "each type of terrain (snow, tundra, desert, plains or grassland)" i find it hard to believe that they would make a distinction between flat and hills.
It makes more sense, certainly, and I think you're most likely right given the specific wording, but they make the distinction between flat and hills all the time throughout the game.

Top Bottom