1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Sweden Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

More like because that's where all the cool kids live

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  2. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Well, all the new civs so far revealed have been pretty great. I'd love it if they'd do some reveals for changes made to civs already in the game.

I can't decide which civ to play first, and that's a good thing. Sweden's UU comes in at the perfect time - ancient and medieval era UUs make you feel obliged to build a massive army before your production infrastructure is established.

Jkchart, Hawke9 and TahamiTsunami like this.
  3. Builderphile

Builderphile Chieftain

When I was in the shower this morning, and knowing the Sweden First Look was coming today, I made plans to create a thread about how "Civ Art Team Sexifies Female Leaders"

I was fully anticipating that, despite Kristina being widely known as an unattractive, manly woman, they would make her "sexy". They did not. I am pleased.

Obviously I did not make the thread after all.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Homeschooled. :p

Like I said before, if anything they made her less attractive than her portraits.

5. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

With her beady eyes, free flowing locks and long face, she kind of looks like an anthromorphic basset hound to me.

And since that it's a given that dogs > people, Kristina is the best leader. This is *SCIENCE*.

Kimiimaro, CPWimmer, Buthera and 4 others like this.
  6. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I'm not sure I like them. They're certainly neat, but I kind of feel that if it's a "one per city" improvement maybe it should fall under some other mechanism instead (UB, or if you want them on the map, then maybe have them as like a completely unique district for the civ?). That's essentially what they're simulating - a district in that it's a tile that can't be swapped, so to me, at least having it that way makes it so you can't simply drop a new city, drop this tile improvement, and immediately have like a +10 culture tile. Seems way too strong to use up a single builder charge, and would be better as a cheap district that you had to build, I think.

To me, my favorite UI are the ones that are strong, but not OP, and that you want to spam but can't place everywhere. The Mekewap, Chemamull, Polder, or Kampung are ideal examples of UI to me - they're improvements that you do probably want to place on every tile that you can, but they're at least partially limited. Outback Station to me is too easy to place, and also gets too strong when you flood the land with them. And on the flipside, a lot of the other improvements are simply too weak, that even if you can spam them everywhere, they don't really help. Colossal heads are only useful to place on a tile that you can't put another improvement down on, and Kurgans are really only useful for the era points, for example.

acluewithout and Elhoim like this.
  7. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

We have 4 more Tuesdays until February 14th, when the game is released. We have 3 more Civs/Leaders reveals - Phoenicia and Ottomans and Eleanor as alt Leader. We could have the last Tuesday as one for the old civs that got changes.

8. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Very interesting. Instead of focusing on the Political/Military strengths of Sweden between the Thirty Year's War and the Great Northern War, they used Kristina as a focus for the cultural achievements since - without actually directly referencing Alfred Nobel's dynamite that made the Prizes possible.

Do have to comment on the Caroleans, though, because I've lectured on them at the GAMA War College years ago.

First, an Attack Only Bonus makes perfect sense: the essence of the 'Ga Pa' tactics of the Swedish Army was to attack on all occasions at all times unless there was a river between you and the enemy - and sometimes even then.
    Gustaphus' 'Squadrons' and Brigades of infantry started it in the 1630s, using matchlock muskets with light cannon for better firepower, and pikes used very aggressively. The actual Carolean of the Charles' XI and XII were pike and shot troops, with about 1/4 pikes to 3/4 muskets in a battalion formed in 4 ranks.
    The essence of their tactics was to advance to about 50 paces from the enemy, the first 2 ranks would kneel, the rear 2 ranks would fire a volley over their heads, all jump up and charge. Just as the bayonets of the muskets reached the tips of the enemy muskets, the front two ranks would fire from the hip, then close with the bayonet. The result was 2 devastating 'fire shocks' at close range, then bayonets and pikes in your face. Nobody stood up to it in the open field: not Russians, not Poles, not Saxons, not Danes - nobody. The final defeat at Poltava was due to starving Swedes facing field fortifications and odds of about 4 to 1, and even then they took several detached forts at bayonet point.

FYI, "Line Infantry" is not a Thing. The troops of the late 17th and throughout the 18th century used Linear Tactics, but the troops were variously called Fusiliers, Musketeers, Centre Companies, 'Troops of the Line', or simply "Foot", as in "Foot, Horse and Dragoons" meaning everybody who charged and got shot at a lot.

I will predict that the First Rule when facing Caroleans will be: Don't Move Next To Them. Ever.

9. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Civs 5 and 6 have shown neither rhyme nor reason in choosing whether or not to sexify individual female leaders.

Did Civ 4 have any female leaders that weren't H2D? I don't recall any. But then in 5 you had, for example, the ludicrous Boudicca, Theodora and Catherine leader models on one hand, and the Marias on the other.

10. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I think the First Rule might be rather to kill them before they have a chance to move!

As a side note, I always enjoy your historical write-ups, thanks for them! Feel like rewriting the pedias?

Jkchart and TahamiTsunami like this.
  11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Or they could do a feature overview video like they had for RnF last January.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I wonder if her agenda will cause her to try to bargain for your Great Works. I've never had an AI try to do that.

13. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

That’s... kinda unwarranted? So far I wouldn’t consider any female leader in the game sexualized just for the sake of it. They all look fine, but definitely not “in your face” beautiful or sexualized. There was no precedent for such a thread to begin with.

Now male leaders, on the other hand....:mischief:

14. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

But God Help You if you attack and DON'T destroy them: a ferocious Counterattack is virtually a Sure Thing, since that appears to be the AI's Default Response in most cases.

Thank You, but that would be a full time job, and I already have two books to finish researching and writing on the Battle of Moscow and a book on Soviet Armored Units in WWII to update. Not enough time even if I give up playing Civ and take up Insomnia as a hobby . . .

tedhebert and TahamiTsunami like this.
  15. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

Could we have an achievement to earn the great general Gustavus Adolphus with her? Neither Sweden nor Kristina have any bonus or incentives to build encampments for Great General points, but it would be interesting and funny to have that achievement.

TahamiTsunami and WillowBrook like this.
  16. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Now that's interesting, because I have someone try to buy a Great Work off me almost every game, and (less often) I find it possible to buy a Great Work off another (AI) Civ if I work at it a bit. What I haven't ever found is that selling a Great Work gets me any Diplomatic favor at all: perhaps I should try gifting a GW or two. . .

AvianBritish likes this.
  17. Denkt

Denkt Reader

You do get 50 diplomacy favor if you get a great general and given their wide playstyle, military Heavy seems like one of their strongest play anyway which can be converted into a Culture/diplomacy victory in the end game.

GG also boost movement which boost their UU attack strength.

18. Hammurabbit

Hammurabbit Warlord

Interesting take on Sweden, I think I like it :). Looking especially looking forward to play around with the Caroleans, perhaps the first really useful anticav unit. The high mobility and bonus for non-used movement is super interesting.

19. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

Yes, at least something you can get from a Great General. But, I mean, you could be better earning another Great People kind instead.

20. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

I read over the first 2 pages of comments so far am quite surprised no one has noted this civ is completely overpowered. Like out of control overpowered.