1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Sweden Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

With all the options to magnify production to districts and straight up buy districts with Governors, it's not that much of a barrier.

And while Sweden can get that +10 in every city at the cost of 5 settlers, it is predicated on the ability to keep those cities intact in places that you may not easily be able to defend from aggression or flipping.

2. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

Seems like they skipped the Finnish city names this time around.

Kjimmet and CivLuvah like this.
  3. Denkt

Denkt Reader

As far as I understand you simply need to capture the cities.

Siptah likes this.
  4. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

Very interesting to play, also very powerful. I simply like everything in this civilization, especially as Kristina was drawn.

It's simply interesting how all the civilizations of GS are being very unique and interesting to play, they need to rework the vanilla civilizations, they are falling behind.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  5. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

She has a generic early game, but no weaknesses. Just no bonuses. I'd argue that it's an illusion as she is incentivized to build the right kind of districts for late-earlygame/early-midgame success. This would be opposed to say Kongo, who blow up the most common early game district (holy sites) @ conquest. Or Norway, who get naval bonuses (which can be great, but are map specific). Or Khmer who are incentivized to build holy sites and aqueducts. Or Ghandi and his 2 movement (by the time they make it to the front the enemy has researched cavalry) Varu death machines. I'm not even going to mention Georgia.

The point is there are no negatives, and I can leverage that into the midgame.

6. Jewman

Jewman Prince

You also can't think of it as costing 5 settlers, at least 2 of the types (plains/grassland) you will settle naturally. Most games you'll have an option of either tundra or desert near you. Tundra means snow. So if you have tundra you could get 3 cities fairly organically, settle a bad snow city and the desert one would be a stretch. If you get desert nearby instead, your tundra and snow city would be the stretch.
    So most of the time it costs you 2 settlers and whatever loyalty+military investment you buy into those colonies. buying up entertainment districts, buying all 3 levels of buildings and then building your UI only around these districts, despite being doable, is still quite significantly more investment.

CPWimmer, Depravo and BarbarianHunter like this.
  7. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

The operative word there is can. All these civs do this with a price. Canada is incentivized to settle colder terrain. Russia must build Lavras then theatre squares. Kongo destroys any holy site they capture and cannot build them. Scotland can receive more GPP's but must keep the citizenry ecstatic

Sweden does all this and more essentially for doing what they'd be doing anyway.

Jewman likes this.
  8. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

Well this explains the diplomatic victory civ they mentioned in the last livestream! I can see it being really fun to start getting loads of great people and getting tons of favor. Looks like a fun civ, all the GS civs so far to me are interesting, though Canada could've used more variety in their design.

I like Kristina's representation too, she has a lot of character.

They're certainly strong, but I'd say the bonuses come late enough and will take a bit to build up steam.

9. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I really hope not. That was a very disappointing week.

AvianBritish and Siptah like this.
  10. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

But they might come out in the city list. Spain's city list has Manila, so I wouldn't be surprised if, say, Helsingfors (Helsinki) is in it.

11. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I would say Mali still takes this honor. Even with a food/faith bonus with settling on desert.

Jkchart, Tuvok694 and Red_warning like this.
  12. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

They've certainly damped down on the six packs with GS, if anything it's now the 'Belly' expansion (which I'd expect Suleiman to stick with).

Hawke9 likes this.
  13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

We were able to eke some screenshots out of that video. Like Lautaro. It wasn't a total loss.

14. Denkt

Denkt Reader

However they can quickly get their trade routes going which is basically their version of the open air museum. Mali Tech opening is to press on currency, and thats about it. How strong Sweden is depend on how quickly it can get to the museum, if it is early the civ is going to be potent early on but later museum will slow it down.

Mali and Sweden is kind of similar, both are basically civs that want to expand as much as possible but for not the same reasons. Neither care much about how good their cities are, just how many they have, Mail less so because it can do Everything with gold while Sweden may atleast want a few decent cities for unit production and such.

15. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

16. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

True, we're not shown a great deal of city names. Judging how other civs seem to include some fairly exotic colonial city names I guess it's not a stretch to see the odd Finnish city show up. I just don't hope they overdo it like in civ5 where a third of the cities were Finnish, not because I want to downplay the Finns but because I hope to see some of the smaller, but often culturally and historically significant, Swedish cities appear more often.

But I wouldn't mind to see Åbo/Turku show up, for instance.

CivLuvah likes this.
  17. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

I have to say that in general the renaissance painters often failed to capture the beauty of women in their paintings. But perhaps it's just a matter of different beauty standards in different ages.

DWilson likes this.
  18. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Prince

Well, yeah. Isn't that what we are supposed to do with the AI civs who spawn in our backyard?

19. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

In the Renaissance, a little extra weight, prominent aquiline noses, prominent brows, beauty marks, and pale skin were considered attractive; most of these things are not exactly the typical Western standard of beauty now. (I still think most of them are attractive, but I'm weird and a living anachronism.)

20. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I would also note Kristina was generally described, often positively, as having masculine features. Some postulated she either actually was male, or was hermaphroditic. After her death, her corpse was checked to verify her gender, and no evidence exists to say she wasn't a sex typical female.

If she were alive nowadays, there is a chance she might have been trans, but that is not something we can actually comment on today with any real confidence.

Cyon, Kjimmet, conorbebe and 3 others like this.