1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Sweden Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Prester John 2

Prester John 2 Chieftain

This!

KnightModern and BackseatTyrant like this.
  2. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

Because I don't know what it would replace. A zoo maybe? But that was just done with hungary.

It couldn't replace the museum building as they want to the civ to have the one with great works and this, and it wouldn't make sense to have them the same 'building' (i.e. an open air museum that holds great works doesn't make sense). This 'open air museum' is closer to one of those 'historical/colonial village' sort of dealies in the US where you go see old houses and maybe there are people dressed up as a blacksmith talking about old times (as parodied in South Parks "Super Fun Time" episode where they refuse to break character).

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Don't worry I still think Sweden will found Protestantism as their default in game. She never outwardly converted to Roman Catholicism until she abdicated her throne. As for her appearance, it's interesting that she looks better than that leaked Eleanor picture where she was right beside her. I hope they change her before she releases.
    It better not be Roxelana. If anything I think it might be a generic one like Pasha the Vizier and not be based off of any actual historic person.

Meluhhan, Zaarin and TahamiTsunami like this.
  4. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

Just watched the first look. I haven't read all 18 pages, but I'll post my two cents:

This looks like a slam dunk for flavour and the the leader model and animations really just keep getting better and better. Was not expecting such an intense cultural bias f or Sweden. This expansion's civ design in general puts R&F to shame. This is the new best culture civ, right? More great work slots seems like the best CV bonus to me. Automatic theming is just the tipper.

The Nobel Prize competition requires some explanation. Do these poach the active great people of the appropriate type, or does it randomly grab great people that weren't in the game?

The open-air museum is...alright. I like the idea, but the one improvement per city thing is getting sort of old already. Feels much more like a building than a UI, but I guess they wanted full tile art and both Arch and Art museums to work for Sweden. Also, is Sweden known for it's massive empire that spans multiple different biomes? Seems like a really random bonus to give. I like the gameplay, but question the basis of the bonus.

The UU looks great for defensive play, but it doesn't really excite me. Culture civ UUs are generally not used too often.

ChocolateShake likes this.
  5. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Yeah, same rationale as golf course, hockey rinks, so much else. That's what they think the people want. It's Starbucks.

It's obnoxious is what it is, although we get such comments all the time regardless of gender. Musa is too fat, Pachacuti is too much of a "bro", Genghis isn't sufficiently menacing, and so on.

Pretty dull civ to me. I don't care how "powerful" a civ is so much as how much it lends itself to interesting choices. But Sweden? I've been "spared" the theming minigame. That's subtractive gameplay, not additive.

And Sweden gets to generate oodles of diplo favor points without actually negotiating for them or doing anything milling out GP. Thanks for "sparing" me that too.

My general assessment is that this design is a step backwards. It's a walk-the-bases-to-victory design.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

So it can be placed instantly in a new city for the loyalty. Sweden wants to settle on different terrain which may mean settling away from your core cities. Making it a building would require building a theatre district and amphitheater first.

King Rad, Zaarin, DWilson and 2 others like this.
  7. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

Not my thing. Consider it somewhat drab and stressful. More tactical than strategic.

Who needs ‘em?

That brings me into drawing your eye to an equivalency of sorts. Poland is a decent cultural warmongering civ if you can grab a religion and choral music. The Winged Hussars can pound the AI’s in the mid game, but it’s a difficult start. Sweden strikes me as the same sort of start, but without the need to found a religion. This leaves you free to build campus and theatre districts.

See this link for a similar mid game Polish strategy.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/a-deity-strategy-for-poland-singing-hussars.635478/

Edit: With Sweedish science, they can just cut right to the chase and use the heavy cav upgrade between knights and tanks or cavalry (corps).

But Sweden will theme them. So less is more.

Ok. And…?

Simply not true, not going to happen.

In closing, I look forward to proving that the civ that gave us the Nobel Peace Prize is actually the game’s premiere warmongering civ.

8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Better than Kongo? Um.....

Wouldn't say they're better than Greece.

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Don't you also think it could be a balancing mechanism? You're taking one (only one) spot in your city for something that's presumably really good.

10. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

Could be, but so could an UB for Museum - which would be harder to achieve, as you would need to build TS and Amphitheaters first. I guess the balancing is more for the 2 loyalty points it adds, so you could get those points faster. Or maybe because and unique museum would make difficult to manage - would it be an unique Art or Archeo Museum; if Art, we would lose the Archeo, which is better than the former. Or they could build both in their cities and be crazy OP? Maybe they could build both but the Art Museum would only have one slot, and would gain the culture and turism the same way the UI works. I don't know, I like this last solution better.

11. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

Only swedish by blood, and have been there a couple times thoughout the country- one thing that always surprises me is just how quickly the country changes as you go north.
    Spoiler :

It's very temperate and feels like Germany in the south by Stockholm. But as you go north you hit the arctic circle (24 hour day/night! Woohoo!) and eventually the Lapland where the sami (reindeer herders) are. They may not have desert but they have grassland/plains/tundra/snow. Whereas in north america, the biomes are much much larger since there aren't seas jutting into the continent everywhere.

12. Navelgazer

Navelgazer Prince

The Queen's Library appears to give +2 points each for Great Writers, Artists, and Museums, so the real strange thing is why this isn't mentioned on the splash page.

13. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Do we know Kristina's Agenda?

14. local_hero

local_hero Prince

I think the open-air museum works much better as a tile improvement than as a building. It wouldn't make sense as it isn't a building, nor does it hold any great work of art.

acluewithout likes this.
  15. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

Can I just say your comment is actually quite disgusting? Responding to the reveal of a new leader with "she looks like a man, ew" is a bottle and a half full of YIKES: HARD PASS!

Hawke9, Ondolindë, CivLuvah and 9 others like this.
  16. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I've always thought it weird that Pedro disliked people who invested in Great Persons, since in real life he loved talking with intellectuals (and presumably this included patrons of the arts and sciences). Similarly, why would an art-lover Kristina dislike another art-lover? (Sure, jealousy is one explanation, but there's no indication Kristina was jealous or hated other leaders who enjoyed art.) Shouldn't Pedro II instead look down on people who lack Great Persons, or Kristina look down on those who lack (or don't care about) works of art?

(In this regard, it ought be pointed out Qin's agenda disapproval line actually means the opposite of what the text says--he actually implies the player is inferior for lacking Wonders rather than being bad for having them. To me the agendas are inconsistent in that some punish good performance (Qin, Pedro, Kristina) and others punish bad performance (Trajan, Seondeok, Jadwiga).

17. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I don't mind it being a UI, but I agree that the map is too crowded, which is a bit annoying because of two things:

- 3 ring limit around the city.
    - The horrible settling of the AI.

As a player you can spread out your cities a bit, but the AI has an annoying tendency to settle in the spots which only has 1 tile that's not claimed by a city. I hoped that for this expansion they would increase the city ring to 4, but alas...

18. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Six for six, imo. I feel that the civs this time around were really thought out in terms of distinguishing their gameplay from any other civ. They all more or less cover unexplored ground in terms of gameplay mechanics, which makes me excited for this expansion. Although I liked R&F, I don’t think it was the greatest in terms of new mechanics for civs (beyond loyalty and ages), whereas GS does. Looking forward to Feb 14.

Julia97 likes this.
  19. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

One more thing I feel I need to add, is how disappointed I am over the architecture choice. Still nothing even barely Scandinavian-looking, instead we get French castles and German cottages

ButtBillionaire and Siptah like this.
  20. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I wish the agendas more informed AI goals and behavior than dictate their diplomacy.

Hawke9 and BackseatTyrant like this.