[GS] Sweden Discussion Thread

Because I don't know what it would replace. A zoo maybe? But that was just done with hungary.

A zoo would have been natural.

One more thing I feel I need to add, is how disappointed I am over the architecture choice. Still nothing even barely Scandinavian-looking, instead we get French castles and German cottages

I'm no architectural expert, but I've always thought Norway (and now Sweden?) should have its own city set.

Are those leaders made by different people? It seems so...

Are those leaders made by different people? It seems so...

I hate to think what you're insinuating, but yes, there seem to be several character concept artists that have worked on the game.

I absolutely love Kristina's design, for so long the majority of women in strategy games seemed to be either sex objects or Elizabeth I, so I'm really happy to see the team embrace the same exaggeration and character that they give the male leaders in Civ VI.

Gonna have trouble deciding whether to play as Sweden, Maori or Mali first...

I'd guess the open air museum comes with Conservationism.

I don't see why people think Sweden should go wide. To me it makes more sense that they go tall, so they can build some wonders.

Better than Kongo? Um.....

Wouldn't say they're better than Greece.

I think what they have in their favour for culture are two big sources of tourism that the other cultural powerhouses don't get (bibliotheque and open air museum).

Just looking at civs that often go culture (as warmongers would just end up eating them up, if the AI actually had the 'I' part), my guess is that Sweden won't do well up against Kongo, who will just swipe their great people throughout the game weakening a lot of their bonuses. I expect they would generally outculture Greece over time... Brazil could also be annoying for Sweden's playstyle also for swiping GWAM, and Canada/US are probably going to be annoying for winning nobel prizes when you want them but I don't see either of them matching Sweden outside of that...

i have updated the Features Thread with the Sweden Agenda and also updated some stuff I missed with the Queen’s Bibliotheque

Having time to sleep on it ... literally ... I have to say that I am really liking Sweden's synergies, thought they may be a bit too powerful. It will be one of those civs that you have to deal with early if they are nearby

UI will be 2 loyalty, 10 culture, 10 tourism, and you can feasibly spread them early. That is very strong.

How does the Carolean's unused movement bonus work for defense?

Last edited:
I hate to think what you're insinuating, but yes, there seem to be several character concept artists that have worked on the game.

I absolutely love Kristina's design, for so long the majority of women in strategy games seemed to be either sex objects or Elizabeth I, so I'm really happy to see the team embrace the same exaggeration and character that they give the male leaders in Civ VI.

Gonna have trouble deciding whether to play as Sweden, Maori or Mali first...

Have you seen concept art at all? I am refering to the 3D model, which isn't often accurate enough to the concept art.

All I am saying is that some leaders look a lot more interesting and neat than others. No insinuation indended :)

It's going to be an interesting juxtaposition-gaining favour from earning great people versus the disfavour you will gain from Civs like Brazil.....for earning great people ;).

It's going to be an interesting juxtaposition-gaining favour from earning great people versus the disfavour you will gain from Civs like Brazil.....for earning great people ;).

i have a feeling that Brazil and Sweden are not going to get along

Overall I think Sweden is going to be powerful and fun - the Queen's Bibliotheque is definitely strong but since you can only build one of them, and they prevent you from choosing another Tier 2 government building, I think it's balanced. The Nobel Prize will keep you playing the Diplo game and requires a little bit of work to pull off (which is good since, as mentioned, losing the theming mini-game doesn't add anything in terms of "fun") and the encouragement to settle different terrain types is unique and potentially interesting.

As for Kristina's design: I love it. Super expressive and historically accurate to her gender-fluidity. I've generally been a huge fan of the character models in VI but this one knocks it out of the park.

It went to Sweden, but no longer applies to artifacts.
I just realized that... I guess the main challenge playing as Sweden will be getting out of the habit of building archeological museums. Also, Hermitage is finally worth building.

Overall I think Sweden is going to be powerful and fun - the Queen's Bibliotheque is definitely strong but since you can only build one of them, and they prevent you from choosing another Tier 2 government building, I think it's balanced. The Nobel Prize will keep you playing the Diplo game and requires a little bit of work to pull off (which is good since, as mentioned, losing the theming mini-game doesn't add anything in terms of "fun") and the encouragement to settle different terrain types is unique and potentially interesting.

As for Kristina's design: I love it. Super expressive and historically accurate to her gender-fluidity. I've generally been a huge fan of the character models in VI but this one knocks it out of the park.

There's also a T3 Gov Plaza building that provides a similar benefit (4 generic slots for art). I thought the QB replaced that one initially, but it's actually T2 (and cheaper than the T2 GovPlaza buildings). Losing out on Grandmaster's Chapel and Intelligence Agency kind of sucks, but that's the card Sweden has been dealt. Getting both the QB and the Natural History Museum is, not gonna lie, pretty damn crazy and would more than make up for it.

Top Bottom